Water Zumba anyone?

Options
Our YMCA offers Water Zumba, and I was just curious if anyone has ever done a class like this. If so, how was it, how did it compare to regular Zumba classes, and does anyone know how many calories (approx.) an hour it would burn? I have been wanting to try a regular Zumba class for ages now, but I have a lot of pain issues. I don't have those problems as much in the water so I was hoping this would be a good alternative.

Replies

• fierceangel1982
    Options
    I love aqua zumba, been going twice a week for the past year. I used to do regular zumba, but after my knee surgery, I switched to aqua zumba. I use the calculation on here for water aerobics to count calories burned, but I have no idea how accurate that is.
    My advice for beginning aqua zumba is:
    1. Wear water shoes
    2. Don't forget to drink water, you're still sweating even if you don't notice it
    3. Just keep moving. (If you can't do exactly what the instructor is doing or you can't keep up the same pace, just do your best to imitate it, but keep moving so that you keep your heart rate up. Don't worry about how you look, everyone around you is too busy to notice what moves you are doing)
    4. Have fun!
  • twest78
    twest78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I don't know for sure, but I think it will be kind of a slow paced class, just based on what I have seen as far as participants go. I hope it will burn a good amount of calories though and will be a worthwhile workout. I hurt too much trying to do the Zumba classes on land and I think it would be fun!
  • marilynku1953
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about water shoes, was wondering about them. I am going to my first Aqua Zumba class on Thurs. Have done regular Zumba off and on for about 5 yrs now, but like you say, it does get hard on the joints.
  • marilynku1953
    Options
    Even if the class is a slow moving class, you can always up your moves to burn more.
  • fierceangel1982
    Options
    The water shoes aren't mandatory, but I find that they help with some of the moves and most importantly, keep me from stubbing my toes on the bottom of the pool.
  • nates_daisy
    nates_daisy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/438652-caloric-burn-in-zumba-workouts/ says 350-450 calories. I am putting it in as 400 per hour....