Girls Only

Options
So when its that time of the month will you gain? I have gain about 5lbs and don't know why

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    yep, unfortunately that is typical.
  • MickeyLeigh
    Options
    I gain all of the time. It is fluid. My hands get swollen and I am bloated. That is how I know my time of the month is here....and I am also really tired. This is one of the reasons why I don't weigh myself during that time because I know what it is and really I don't need to see the number rise because of some extra fluid that I know will be gone once my TOM is gone.
  • robinsnest0326
    Options
    yep its called water weight,and nothing you can do about it. don't worry too much about it, its just mother nature doing her job.:flowerforyou:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Yep. I gain the week before girl time. That's this week. Monday I was up 4.5 lbs form last week. Today is my usual weigh in and it's all gone plus another pound gone! That is typical for me. :)
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I usually gain a couple pounds but it comes right back off after it's over. I just TRY not to weigh at that time of month so I won't be let down when I see the scale.
  • Willow_28
    Options
    i gain during TOM too... hate it cause it just totally throws me off...
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Yes indeedy, 2 - 5 pounds easy.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    yep it happens. its water weight. generally if you drink your 8+ glasses of water during your period, after you're done those five extra pounds should rapidly go down (and if you're lucky you might even lose a few extra!). but i totally feel you, its my TOM too :c
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I gain all of the time. It is fluid. My hands get swollen and I am bloated. That is how I know my time of the month is here....and I am also really tired. This is one of the reasons why I don't weigh myself during that time because I know what it is and really I don't need to see the number rise because of some extra fluid that I know will be gone once my TOM is gone.

I'm wondering if hormonal birth control would decrease the fluid retention? Cuz I've been on birth control for just under a year, and no fluid retention here.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

I'm wondering if hormonal birth control would decrease the fluid retention? Cuz I've been on birth control for just under a year, and no fluid retention here.

I've taken Yaz (or the generic for it, anyway) since 2008. I have personally noticed that I still retain water around TOM and gain a few pounds because of that. My lower ab area pooches out, lol.

I think things like that just affect different people in different ways because I have seen people both lose weight AND gain weight taking the same pill.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options

Interesting! I was just going to post that I never see a drastic change in weight during or just prior to TOM. I've been on the pill though for... 7-8 years though so maybe that is why?
  • sutehi
    sutehi Posts: 36 Member
    Options

When I'm on the pill, I have no symptoms during my TOM, including no fluid retention. When I'm off, it varies widely from month to month, and I can gain up to 5 pound in water weight.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    around about 7lbs for me. xxx
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I only say that cuz, before when I had my period, I would bloat, but now, I don't gain weight by taking on water. I'm on the patch. It could just be that it effects me differently than it would others.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have the Myrena Coil (that also includes a slow release hormone).... some months I just know "that it would have been my TOM" cos I have "no evidence" to be able to tell :wink:

It's the best!!!!! :blushing:

I AM going to check and see if there is a fluctuation though as I hadn't considered it before...... :embarassed:
  • katschy
    Options
    At worst, I can gain up to 10lbs of water weight during TOM :( If I'm drinking lots of water, maybe only 2-5 lbs, and it goes away after a couple of days.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    yup its usually water weight that goes away days after your stop. However if your weight stays up that means you ate too much. I'm on mine and actually haven't gone up in weight I am keeping my calories the same and working out hard. I'm actually surprised the scale hasn't gone up usually im up like 2-3lbs I'm hoping that when I stop I do see a drop in the number. I only do weigh ins that count 3 times a month because of the reason of the slight gain. But I am a scale *kitten* so I always pop on the scale
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes, but oddly enough about 4-5 days before my period - I actually show a loss, but it's not a true loss, because i'ts back right after my period and during I have gain.
  • susanleigh
    Options
    Yes, indeed, but I think it varies...mine just started on Tuesday...our work challenge weigh in is wednesdays...i had went up last week for some reason and weighed in yesterday and the pound I gained from last week came off. I am hoping to knock of a few pounds by next week. Our work biggest looser program ends next week and 10 pounds or more was my personal goal, so I am going to try to end this big. Of course, I said why the monthly now!!!! I am going to watch the salt this week and eat lots of fruit and veggies. I was craving salt really bad last week and that is usually the trigger that my monthly is coming!
  • tcornejo
    tcornejo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yep. You retain even more water during this period (pun intended) - e.g. bloated feeling, etc. If you eat right and exercise during this time, I find I lose all it appears I've gained and then some. (I think it's a mental thing . . . because I see on the scale I've gained I do a lot better that week (try to) and then when I lose the water weight, I also lose an extra pound or so.)