Thoughts on Hybrid Workouts?

Options
I am on week 2 of Insanity and I've been thinking of maybe doing a hybrid program in the future (Insanity one day, strength the next, or adding in other workout DVDs like Les Mills Combat, or ChaLean Extreme). My question is, does this decrease the effectiveness? I really want to go through the whole Insanity program without stopping, but I'm afraid that I might get bored. I find I stay a lot more motivated when I am switching up my workouts frequently. I LOVE Insanity and have already lost pounds and inches and I want that progress to keep going....So, should I just stick to one program consecutively, or would I still get great results by mixing them up? While also being sure to get a good mix of strength and cardio?

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a mega-randomized-hybrid, incorporating a random selection of the following programs into my schedule: Insanity, Asylum, Asylum Volume 2, Focus T25, Les Mills Combat, Les Mills Pump, Tapout XT, Tapout XT2, Rushfit.

I use a Microsoft Excel file of my own creation to randomly select a workout from any of the above programs. I have wanted to do a program from start to finish, but unfortunately I get bored too quickly. Randomizing my schedule has kept me interested for quite some time now.

I have not noticed any decrease in the effectiveness of this schedule. If anything, keeping myself guessing day-to-day seems like it has ramped up the effectiveness.
  • katiekicks
    Options
    That's what I was thinking. A new workout every day seems like it would keep me on top of it and keep my body confused, so it keeps changing. Thanks for your take on it :)
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    My randomizer is easily customizable for any set of workout programs you may have.
    I just custom made one for another MFP friend of mine.

If you are tired of following a strict schedule and want to keep it fresh, just message me with what programs you want to incorporate and a good e-mail address where I can send my final product.