Two broken feet

Options
I broke both of my feet last week :(

I really want to lose weight during the two months I'm off of work on disability, but I'm not supposed to put weight on my feet. Any suggestions?

Replies

• bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing will get your heart rate up. I'd also ask your doc for tips
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    eat less...
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    Wow, that has to suck! I hope you were doing something fun to make it kind of worth it!!

I would google it and see what come up.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is mostly done by eating at a calorie deficit anyways. Are you in a wheelchair or on crutches? Walking on crutches burns quite a few calories according to MFP.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Two broken feet? Ugh! I hope your recovery goes quickly and smoothly.

I bet if you go on youtube, you'll find some workouts that can be done seated. Additionally, this might be a good time to really focus on cleaning up your diet and eating better.... when I'm not working, I find it much easier to make life changes, since I don't have work to distract me.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Oh nooo! I'm so sorry. That must be really painful and frustrating.

Awhile back I came across a seated workout on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAeZZbpi8Ow

I was really skeptical but it was actually a decent workout. If you added weights it would be pretty challenging. I bet you could find plenty of these. If you don't find them to be challenging enough, try adding weights or upping the speed.

I imagine swimming is probably out due to casts, but just a thought...

You could also still do things like crunches and "girl" pushups (I hate calling them that) where you're resting on your knees rather than your feet. Bicycles (rotating your legs in the air while on your back), leg lifts, etc. would give you a nice leg workout without actually having to *be* on your legs.

Hope that helps. Good luck :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are they in casts? Can you swim?
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't said if she is in a wheelchair or not, but wheeling around a wheelchair has to be some great cardio and an excellent upper body workout. I did a triathlon recently and they had some wounded veterans who where mostly using wheelchairs and their upper bodies were ripped. If she isn't confined to the chair its probably still an option, just ask her doctor if she can rent or borrow one.

Just a thought....
  • Cikan_Vuz
    Cikan_Vuz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are in a wheelchair, fret not! You can get exercise and lose weight in a wheelchair. I shattered a leg and broke both ankles and I was in a wheelchair for over a year. I would roll myself to my post office, which is 3 miles each way daily and I lost a lot of weight! I went from size 13 to size 7 pants. Ironically, once I was healed and able to teach myself how to walk again, and stopped using the wheelchair, I gained all my weight back and then some and then some more and more... Also, if you have a local gym that has a "hand bike", those are great too! ( you sit on seat, put your arms and hands turn the crank and handles.)
  • missymakayla
    missymakayla Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, Last August I fell and broke both of my ankles. I wasn't able to walk at all. I suggest you try to do something with your arms, and watch your diet, because you won't be moving around like you usually do....Good luck...
  • moridin82
    moridin82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    When I had my U3P surgery, i was on a liquid diet for a month and man did I lose the pounds. I'd probably go consult a doc first but liquid diet.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    What on earth did you do to break both your feet?
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    There's this thing called Google. If you type "seated exercises" into the search I bet you'll find something.

There's always the eating less option too.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I have had 5 foot surgeries on my left foot so I can definitely understand where you are coming from. You can look up videos on youtube. Just type in workout in a chair or seated workouts. Also, you may want to get a pair of dumbells maybe 5-10 pounds. You will want to focus on upper body and core training. Cardio is going to be pretty minimal unless you want to go and wheel yourself around in a wheelchair. Also, nutrition will be key. I would recommend not letting other people prepare your plate. With my past surgeries I gained 40 plus pounds because I did not care what or how much I was eating. Hope you heal quickly and definitely consult your doctor and talk to him. I just had an apt with my foot surgeon and we went over in detail everything that I could and could not do concerning exercise and calories.
  • vivalasam37
    vivalasam37 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty much in a wheelchair but have to make do with crutches at home since I live in an apartment. The right foot is in a walking cast but they want me to stay off of it as much as possible, and the left foot I can't put any pressure on at all. Thanks for the links to the seated workouts! I totally wish I was in walking boots so I could swim but I'm in casts. And for those of you wondering what I did, I broke one foot tripping down steps and two days later broke the good one trying to hop on it to answer a phone call without my crutches. I am obviously not good at being crippled, it's so hard for me to stay off of my feet.
  • vivalasam37
    vivalasam37 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What did your liquid diet consist of? I'd like to try it!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Look up chair yoga exercises. There's lots of online demos. It'd be good to use (some of) the time on stretching and breathing, to help your recovery and overall health.

Like the others have said, keep as active as you can - using crutches or a wheelchair is hard work and will burn calories. Presumably you'll have physiotherapy exercises to do? Weightloss will happen anyway if you eat at a deficit, but concentrating on getting as strong as you can, and mobilising, will get you back walking sooner and give you a positive focus.

Best wishes for your recovery!
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I fractured my pelvis in a car wreck back in April and although I was in the process of losing weight when it happened, I did not try to lose weight while I was healing. I focused on eating at maintenance and GOOD NUTRITION to heal. Lots of protein, limited grains, lots of fruits and vegetables. I spent 2 months bed bound/in a wheelchair, one month crutching around on my left leg, one month using one crutch to assist while I started walking on both legs, and as of August 8, I've been walking crutch free. I found that I maintained my weight well, and am now resuming my weight loss again. For exercise, you can use dumbbells for your upper body, doing bicep curls, triceps extensions, shoulder presses, etc... and if you can get on the ground you can do girl push ups with your knees on the ground, feet in the air and ab exercises like bicycle crunches and the pilates's hundred. For legs, while sitting down, push down with your hands on the tops of your legs while trying to push up with your legs.
  • mssierra2u
    mssierra2u Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Focus on eating well and maybe working with dumbells while seated. Pilates?