Is the Wii Fit board an accurate way to weigh yourself?

Options
I don't own a scale...wondering if I should invest in one or if anyone out there knows anything about the accuracy of weighing in on the wii fit board?

Replies

• SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It is what I use, and it has been pretty dead on with normal fluctuations accounted for as the day goes on, I like it, because it makes a noise like I am squishing it when I step onto it LOL
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a Wii Fit board and it is very accurate for me. Other people have reported otherwise but it seems to read the same weight as my bathroom scale. I really like it. :)

If you do decide to get the board, and you have a Game Stop near you, check to see if they have used boards. Thats where I got mine. It was less than $20 and it works perfectly.
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I used mine for a while, found it to be very accurate. When I finally broke down and bought a $30 scale, it gave me the same weight as the Wii board.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP in April my wii fit was telling me I weighed about 8# heavier than my scale - I chose to believe the scale. Well, when said scale went to the dieter's heaven in the sky & I got a new & improved scale - yep, you guessed it - I was up 8#. So to make a short story long, when placed on flat. even, level tiles, my wii fit was spot-on accurate. Even if for some reason yours is not 100% correct, it should still give you a pretty good idea whether you are losing weight or not. Also, try to weigh yourself under the same circumstances every time - like time of day, before you eat, after visiting the bathroom, etc. It will make a difference.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Even if it isn't giving you a completely accurate weight, you can still use it to determine if you're losing, maintaining, etc. Just use it on the same surface each time.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    It was always a couple pounds off for me, but I have carpet and I read somewhere that it's really only accurate on hard floors like wood or tile. Even so, a couple pounds off isn't terrible for a video game scale! I wouldn't bother investing in a real scale if you enjoy using the Wii fit board :)
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When I started on MFP in April my wii fit was telling me I weighed about 8# heavier than my scale - I chose to believe the scale. Well, when said scale went to the dieter's heaven in the sky & I got a new & improved scale - yep, you guessed it - I was up 8#. So to make a short story long, when placed on flat. even, level tiles, my wii fit was spot-on accurate. Even if for some reason yours is not 100% correct, it should still give you a pretty good idea whether you are losing weight or not. Also, try to weigh yourself under the same circumstances every time - like time of day, before you eat, after visiting the bathroom, etc. It will make a difference.

Same here. Also, pay attention with the words *flat, even, level tiles* ... I learned the hard way what happens when you use the board on carpet. I was so mad when I realized I was 12 lbs heavier than the board said I was! Moved it to a level, flat surface, and no problems after that.
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used a very accurate scale and the wii fit board. There was less than 2lbs difference in the two.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    It's all I use.

My only complaint as a woman is when tom is here and the smug *kitten* asks me to "think about the reasons for my weight gain". I feel like throwing it over the deck then. Otherwise we get along relatively well. :tongue:
  • misskate1987
    Options
    Even if it isn't giving you a completely accurate weight, you can still use it to determine if you're losing, maintaining, etc. Just use it on the same surface each time.

This! No two scales (that I've found) give identical readings. So as long as you use it consistently you should be fine with it (but then don't panic if it's different to the Dr's or someone else's scale).
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii board and it is accurate... matches up with my bathroom scale.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A scale is a really simple mechanical device. I wouldn't be surprised if the wii fit board is more accurate than some cheap bathroom scales.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It's all I use.

My only complaint as a woman is when tom is here and the smug *kitten* asks me to "think about the reasons for my weight gain". I feel like throwing it over the deck then. Otherwise we get along relatively well. :tongue:

:laugh: I know...sometimes I want to tell that cartoon to be happy it doesn't have to eat!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Mine is also accurate - as long as it's on a flat level surface as someone else said. After having it for a couple months I bought one of those thicker foam covers for it and my weight was really wrong (like 20 pounds wrong) so I took it back off again. I think the problem was on the bottom where it was supposed to go around the foot pads but didn't really fit right, so it was throwing the board off balance.
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Yep. That's what I weigh in on. It's a tiny bit heavier than bathroom scales. (Probably about 200 grams, buggar all.)Great cause you can take pictures of screen on tv as an actual and post on blog.

That's what I do.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It's all I use.

:laugh: I know...sometimes I want to tell that cartoon to be happy it doesn't have to eat!

I'm on day 1908 of having it and I wish it didn't repeat the exact same things to me over and over and over again.
  • mebepiglet123
    Options
    :laugh: change it to a women...it will make you feel better
    It's all I use.

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love, love, love my Wii Fit board -- super accurate.
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    It's all I use.

Seriously, especially when I've been eating my limit and exercising everday. I don't know, why don't you tell me why I gained you little b*stard? Or when he recommends I change my goal because I'm not losing fast enough, way to demotivate!
  • mebepiglet123
    Options
    Ha ha ha... Love it....
    It's all I use.

Seriously, especially when I've been eating my limit and exercising everday. I don't know, why don't you tell me why I gained you little b*stard? Or when he recommends I change my goal because I'm not losing fast enough, way to demotivate!