possible to lose 30lbs a month?

Options
Ive been doing 40 min of kickboxing m-f and I eat 1200 to 1500 calories a day. I weigh 253 right now and I'm wondering if with the routine I'm doing if its possible for me to lose 30 lbs in a month?

Replies

• jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Possible?.......sure, anything's possible.
    Is it healthy and/or safe for you to lose that much in that short period of time?.......absolutely not, and don't listen to any others who would tell you differently.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Possible? Sure. Probable? No and not safe if you do. Why does it matter if you lose 30 in a month? 2 pounds a week is pretty good goal. Any month I lose 8-10 is a huge success. I would just focus on eating well and exercising rather than pressuring yourself to achieve a seemingly impossible number.
  • UrbanLotus
    UrbanLotus Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Cut off a limb, done!
  • ldugganbos
    Options
    YOU CAN...AND YOU WILL GAIN IT BACK JUST AS FAST!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you won't maintain it. Slow and steady wins this race. 1 pound a week is the way to go if you want to stay slim and healthy for a life time.
  • tifsimmons91
    tifsimmons91 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just in a rush, because my best friend is getting married in oct and il be in the wedding. I want to look as good as possible in a dress. I know the best way to lose weight is slow and steady or you can gain it all back right away... I guess as long as I'm eating healthy and exercising i will just let my body do what it needs to do on its own. Like they say, you didn't get big over night so you won't shrink over one night either... thanks everyone for your thoughts I appreciate it :)
  • ilovemilkymoos
    ilovemilkymoos Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here you go...... UFC professional fighters can lose up to 30 lbs in 5 days!

Dont fancy it myself though. There is no "quick fix" for losing weight and getting in shape, its a life change and the slower and more natural the better!

If you manage a natural 2 lbs per week loss, then by your friends wedding you will 8-10 lbs lighter! Not half bad..........

Good luck!
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe but then you'll have saggy skin. 30 pounds lost but you'll still be self-conscious. Then you'll eat pounds of ice cream because you hate your body. Then the scale gods will say you gained back the 30 plus 10 more....Is it worth it? Slow, steady & toned<< go for that. You look gorge just how you are; you're just making yourself better. Have confidence! That shxt is sexy ;)
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Well if you are only eating 1200 cal on days with 40-60 minutes of kick boxing you are eating too few calories. At 254lbs this is a huge deficit. As others have said it is considered the safe max to lose 2lbs a week, I also like to note that if you are decently fit already this is probably too much.

What is your TDEE?

This isn't a complete golden standard though. A lot of peoples bodies respond very quickly to healthy nutrition changes and becoming more active. It is not uncommon for the weight to just start falling off in the beginning. 30lbs in a month for a women? Probably not. I've seen guys do it though and gain strength and fitness in the process.

In extreme cases, like MMA fighters like ilovemilkymoo suggested, there are ways to lessen the LBM losses on a crash diet. Although if you are out of shape and over weight I strongly would suggest not going this route. A competitive athlete knows how their body responds to these things and has the muscle mass and metabolism to burn fat at an extremely accelerated pace in a huge deficit. These people are usually under the supervision of coaches or health professionals, and do everything they can to mitigate the damages. Also, many obese people are on the verge of having major health issues if they don't have them already.

If you still have your heart set on running a risky diet, then read this book. I'm only posting this because I believe a lot of people are head strong and will go against good advise in a futile effort to lose weight immediately. Again I do not recommend doing this, but if you are this will give you the guide lines to minimize risk.

http://www.files.failedmiserably.com/data/aironz/The%20Rapid%20Fat%20Loss%20Handbook.pdf

Thank me later for saving you $30 for the read.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 30 pounds in one month at a time when my military career and a promotion depended on it. For breakfast I had a slim fast right when I woke up, drank nothing but water. Literally, water only. Besides the Slim fast. For dinner, it was Healthy Choice only. Only...There was nothing else. Water, Healthy Choice Meals, and my snacks consisted of Tuna. I allowed myself unlimited Tuna so I wouldn't have any type of hunger issues. I also did my usual cardio daily. My body, and what I was doing allowed me to lose the weight I wanted, was it safe? Nope. Did it work, and was it a quick fix? Yep. Will I ever do that again? Never.

Right now, I've been working out daily, besides weekends mon - fri at least an hour a day cardio only. For the most part, I eat what I want and stay low on carbs. Right now, I'm averaging about 3 pounds lost per week so far. I also feel great!
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    If you were on the Biggest Loser and could work out all day every day and constantly had personal trainers and nutritionists around you....sure....maybe for the first month.

Otherwise, whatever you do to lose that much weight that fast won't be healthy and unless you keep doing it forever, the weight will come back. Have patience. Focus on 2 lbs/week.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    you could try a program like p90x or insanity, you'll look like you lost 30 lbs - or weight lifting will help tone.
    10 lbs a month is pushing it, but reasonable - I wouldn't try to lose a lot fast because you will most likely gain back plus some.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the more weight you lose, the more you'll have to pay for alterations. They generally don't recommend losing weight during the last few weeks because you've had your final fitting. You don't want the dress to sag. A dress that fits well on a 250-pound frame looks MUCH better than a dress sagging on a 220-pound frame. :)
  • ronrstaats
    ronrstaats Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    The most I managed to lose in my 150 pound weight loss journey was 16 pounds in one month. I did that twice. I also managed to stay in double digit weight loss for 7 months.

Is 30 pounds do able? I am sure it is but I couldn't image it... those 16 were rough enough...