This season of Biggest Loser????

bluiz13
bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
so i finished watching the first biggest loser last night in bed......so many of their stories were soooo very sad and it really makes me wonder - what the hell "happened" to me to make me get so damn big in the first place or did anything????? does there have to be a story??? shouldnt i figure out mine while i'm still a work in progress????

thoughts please.....i'm just wondering if everyone has a "story" or can you just get big without a reason??? if not, how do you find your "reason"? i know why i decided to get my life back, but i'm not really sure i know how/why i got where i was.....

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I personally believe that not everyone is going to have a story like the Biggest Loser contestants. Sometimes, we just have normal lives, normal families, and normal jobs...but we just don't workout like we should and we simply eat the wrong foods. I got up to 191 pounds, but I had a happy life. I just didn't eat right and I didn't exercise.

That does NOT make it any less important for those of us with a "boring" story to lose excess body fat and get in to shape. :)

But, they wouldn't put someone like me when I was big on the show because my story isn't so grand. Remember, not only is the show inspiring because they lose weight, but it is still TV where there has to be something sensational about it or people won't watch.

That's why the rest of us have MFP, cause we are each other's Jillian. :):):):):)
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    you know some people just like food, enjoy lounging around rather than being active. And usually by the time they notice how big they have gotten they think changing it is too hard. Most people are over weight by choice (not backing away from the food) I'm sure that's going to piss some people off but it's true. a small percent of people actually gain weight from health problems.

I caught a glimse of the biggest loser and was in complete shock that people let themselves get so big. They all have a long long way to go thats for sure.

I gained weight because I simply got lazy and still ate like I was active. Once I got active the weight came off. Can't eat like a highschooler when you aren't playing sports anymore and you are working all day long and taking care of a family.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    I think you CAN get big just because.

I do have my own story that for a LONG time I denied to myself as being the reason why I now weigh 340lbs. For as long as I can remember in my childhood until the time I was 15 I was sexually abused daily by my uncle. He was my mother's older brother. My mother didnt believe it was happening and when I'd refuse to let him in the house when I was alone, he'd complain to her and she'd beat me for it because I was being disrespectful.

Having no control over anything in my life at that time I developed the habit of stuffing my feelings down with food [something that I never changed until now because I never acknowledged it until recently]. I did it after she beat me and after he was finished he always gave me "treats" - cookies, ice cream, cakes. To this day I can't stand the sight or smell of Wrigley Double Mint gum because he always chewed it.

So...that's my story. My family meals were always healthy and well balanced. We rarely had junk food in the house. I was always told how lucky I was because I always got all these great treats from my uncle....if only people understood or listened to me about why he treated me so special....
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    I watched too and I believe most people have a story to tell as the reason to packing on the weight. I was an abused child - so for me it's hard to take care of myself. There are days where things are great, but then there are days when all those feelings come right back and that's when it's hard to control my eating......BUT - I am a work in progress and I'm learning that I am worth it.
  • Funny I was thinking the same thing when I watched it Tuesday night. This is the first season I am watching. I guess from seeing the commercials before I didnt want to watch because that would mean I might have to deal with my own weight. The stories are sad, and I have had some things happen to me in the past, but cant really think that any of those things that happened would be the source or if combined even they were the source. Then I realized I didnt really care what the reason was, or if there had to be one, I am just happy that I have finally made the decision to REALLY take control of my life and weight. I joined MFP after watching a very good friend lose over 160lbs using it! He has been such an inspiration and if I can do only half as good as he did I will be stoked! Good luck on your journey:)
  • demezat
    demezat Posts: 158
    I am over weight because I have been lazy and I like to eat. Thats my story. I'm working on a new chatper now, though :) Don't worry about where you've been...you need to think about where you can go from here! Don't say I'll start on Monday, because "Monday" never seems to come. Today is the day!
  • mrsyac2
    I think you CAN get big just because.

I do have my own story that for a LONG time I denied to myself as being the reason why I now weigh 340lbs. For as long as I can remember in my childhood until the time I was 15 I was sexually abused daily by my uncle. He was my mother's older brother. My mother didnt believe it was happening and when I'd refuse to let him in the house when I was alone, he'd complain to her and she'd beat me for it because I was being disrespectful.

Having no control over anything in my life at that time I developed the habit of stuffing my feelings down with food [something that I never changed until now because I never acknowledged it until recently]. I did it after she beat me and after he was finished he always gave me "treats" - cookies, ice cream, cakes. To this day I can't stand the sight or smell of Wrigley Double Mint gum because he always chewed it.

So...that's my story. My family meals were always healthy and well balanced. We rarely had junk food in the house. I was always told how lucky I was because I always got all these great treats from my uncle....if only people understood or listened to me about why he treated me so special....

that is just horrible.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    I felt the same way. I don't really have a story like they did. I was emotionally abused by my mom growing up, but it wasn't extreme. I too can't believe that I let myself get to this place! How? Why? I just know that I want to get out of here before it gets any worse! I also know that I am in the right place to do this. :smooched:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Not everyone has to have a 'story'. Unfortunately it's still a TV show and I believe certain people are picked for ratings.

• For as long as I can remember in my childhood until the time I was 15 I was sexually abused daily by my uncle. He was my mother's older brother. My mother didnt believe it was happening and when I'd refuse to let him in the house when I was alone, he'd complain to her and she'd beat me for it because I was being disrespectful.

I am so very sorry this happened to you. You didn't deserve that and it happens to often to young children...

The worst part is pedeophiles do not stop at one child. I hope there are no other children being victimized by him. You have a beautiful family and I hope you never allow them to be alone with your mother as she will not protect them either.
  • SP0472
    SP0472 Posts: 193 Member
    that is just horrible. Was he ever convicted? Did your mom ever believe you? I am so sorry that you went through that as a child. I never understood why people don't listen to their kids about things especially serious things like that. It's a shame.

No, never convicted. Better...he died a most horrible death. That's some consolation.

My mom never believed me. She mentioned it once after he died, but it was more like "I'm glad he never did anything to you.." type of comment that she made which makes me wonder if he did the same to any other relatives. It was always in the back of my mind to ask her about it - about why she never believed me but she died suddenly of a heart attack 4 years ago and I never got to do that.

Part of the weight loss journey is dealing with all of that and knowing that the world will not self destruct if I take care of myself and put myself first and actually feel my feelings instead of stuffing them down into the pit of my stomach with food.
  • truckerchic
    truckerchic Posts: 58 Member
    The previous posters have put it well I think more than not we are going to find ppl without a story other than life. People are busier than ever and the last thing on our to do list is "us" also doesn't help that the tastiest and cheapest foods are the unhealthy ones.
    Whether you feel your story is boring or not its about figuring out what got you to that point and changing that behavior or you will fail just as a past winner had, Eric I believe was his name.
    I have been heavy since I was a kid, I have gained and lost hundreds of pounds over the years, but it was not til the past t year that I confronted my past so I can hopefully not fail this time
  • mrsyac2
    that is just horrible. Was he ever convicted? Did your mom ever believe you? I am so sorry that you went through that as a child. I never understood why people don't listen to their kids about things especially serious things like that. It's a shame.

No, never convicted. Better...he died a most horrible death. That's some consolation.

My mom never believed me. She mentioned it once after he died, but it was more like "I'm glad he never did anything to you.." type of comment that she made which makes me wonder if he did the same to any other relatives. It was always in the back of my mind to ask her about it - about why she never believed me but she died suddenly of a heart attack 4 years ago and I never got to do that.

Part of the weight loss journey is dealing with all of that and knowing that the world will not self destruct if I take care of myself and put myself first and actually feel my feelings instead of stuffing them down into the pit of my stomach with food.

It is okay to be selfish. I do it and that doesn't make me a bad wife or mom it actually makes me a happier better mom and wife. also you should never hold feelings in it's better to get it off your chest or let your aggression or saddness out on something (not food) have you ever been so upset or pissed and just started punching a punching bag its the best stress release or did some form of a workout where you punch. I'm telling you it feels great I would reccomend not actually hitting a person even though many times I want to do exactly that haha
This discussion has been closed.