Insanity now or later?

Options
I'm wondering if I could manage Insanity now at 217lbs, or if I should wait about 6 months until I've lost some more weight? Has anyone tried Insanity at 80 lbs over their ideal weight and stuck with it with good results? I'm wondering if the impact would cause injury at this point. Or do you just modify it until you are trim enough?

Also, maybe it would be better to wait until I'm closer to goal and then use Insanity as a toning/BF% tool near the end?

Just trying to figure out what to do next in my fitness goals. Right now I'm doing Tae Bo. Trying to figure out how to step it up. Is there an in-between workout that would be a better next step?

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Here's my Insanity story. My goal weight is 145-155, I started Insanity at 207lbs. I'm currently 179.8.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038467-i-completed-insanity
    I'm getting great results with Jamie Easons LiveFit Trainer program as a guide right now, I'm halfway through it and I've lost 7lbs, and 2inches off my waist and hips, arms and legs are looking firmer too.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Do it now. I started a class of something similar when I was 240lbs. The instructors were really good at giving modifications for all the different fitness levels in the class. It was hard at first because I was so out of shape but it as been worth it. No matter what you decide, you definitely want to incorporate some sort of strength training (whether with weights or body weight) into your workouts. Strength training will help you maintain the muscle you currently have and allow you to shed more fat in the long run. Even at 196 lbs, I have a better figure and wearing the same size clothing I was when I was in college and 175.
  • Gismos
    Gismos Posts: 15
    Options
    I started Insanity at around 200 lbs and about a month into my diet/exercise change. I have had knee problems in the past and was worried they would come back so I was careful with the jumping. I highly recommend a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and an alarm if you exceed your target heart rate. Then I would do it and just taper the program as you need to. For instance at the beginning I had to replace the power jacks with squats to help out my knees. Nothing says you can't do Insanity now to take off some weight and then do it again at the end to finish your bf% cut.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Here's my Insanity story. My goal weight is 145-155, I started Insanity at 207lbs. I'm currently 179.8.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1038467-i-completed-insanity
    I'm getting great results with Jamie Easons LiveFit Trainer program as a guide right now, I'm halfway through it and I've lost 7lbs, and 2inches off my waist and hips, arms and legs are looking firmer too.

Thanks so much! Reading your story helps me think it through. And great job-- congrats!!!
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    Do it now. I started a class of something similar when I was 240lbs. The instructors were really good at giving modifications for all the different fitness levels in the class. It was hard at first because I was so out of shape but it as been worth it. No matter what you decide, you definitely want to incorporate some sort of strength training (whether with weights or body weight) into your workouts. Strength training will help you maintain the muscle you currently have and allow you to shed more fat in the long run. Even at 196 lbs, I have a better figure and wearing the same size clothing I was when I was in college and 175.

Thanks for the tip on weight training. Has anyone ever done a hybrid of Insanity alternating with other types of workouts, rather than stick to the 60-day program? I'm also considering doing something like that. I really want to focus on the strength training right now, so I may just either stick with what I'm doing now (because I do Tae Bo alternately with strength training), or just switch up the Tae Bo and keep up the weight-lifting.

I am still totally in brainstorm mode. lol
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I started Insanity at around 200 lbs and about a month into my diet/exercise change. I have had knee problems in the past and was worried they would come back so I was careful with the jumping. I highly recommend a heart rate monitor with a chest strap and an alarm if you exceed your target heart rate. Then I would do it and just taper the program as you need to. For instance at the beginning I had to replace the power jacks with squats to help out my knees. Nothing says you can't do Insanity now to take off some weight and then do it again at the end to finish your bf% cut.

That's great to hear about how you were able to do it even with knee trouble in the past. Also, great advice for the heart rate monitor; thanks! And of course-- duh-- why can't I do it now AND later? *smacking my forehead* :)
  • daniellemoffatt2011
    Options
    I am currently ( as much as i don't want to admit it) 247 pounds and completed day 3 of INSANITY today. I absolutely LOVE IT and look forward to each day to get my workout in even though i know it will kick my butt and soak me with sweat. My starting goal is to lose 50 pounds. I'm going to give it my all despite what people think. I'm doing this to be a better me for my 2 babies :)
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I am currently ( as much as i don't want to admit it) 247 pounds and completed day 3 of INSANITY today. I absolutely LOVE IT and look forward to each day to get my workout in even though i know it will kick my butt and soak me with sweat. My starting goal is to lose 50 pounds. I'm going to give it my all despite what people think. I'm doing this to be a better me for my 2 babies :)

That is awesome! I'm inspired, and can't wait to see you post your results.

I think I will really like it, too. I have decided to do the Rockin' Body first. Save Insanity for later. I just have a few physical issues where I really can't give my all to the bigger, bouncing movements until I drop some poundage.

Thanks all for helping me think through it! :)
  • elizabethgriebel
    Options
    I would always recommend consulting with your physician before starting a workout program, but if you go to www.teambeachbody.com you can search for a live Fit Club near you. If you have one close by, you can try out the Insanity program before buying it. I am on my last week of Insanity currently, but started at a low weight aiming to tone up. Good luck, and if you need anything, I am a beachbody coach and would love to help you out.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    nice thread ...now I need to buy insanity for my 228lb *kitten*!....I was waiting until I was out of the 200's LMAO....
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Start now, don't wait. I also don't think you should wait for your "Monday" to start. Fact is, most people who start on Monday don't make it through. True story. Let Wednesday, or Friday be your Monday!! Just like I always say, why wait until January 1st to have a resolution? Start your new YOU...NOW!!

Insanity encourages the use of the pause button, or the use of taking breaks when needed. I think this helps actually. Because later, you will see that you no longer need to pause. Or will pause for shorts periods of time, or can make it farther without pausing etc. I wish you luck man, and God bless!