what are tips and tricks have you used to save money

Options

Replies

• Macgeek74
    Macgeek74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    For me, it was stop dating. So expensive to date.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i was raised to be pretty thrifty since we didn't have much money. i coupon like woah, from the newspapers and also online (coupons.com or couponmom.com)

i buy 2nd hand items a lot, i like the idea of recycling them and not adding into purchasing new items that are probably made in a sweat shop somewhere with terrible conditions. consignment shops and thrift shops are awesome :]

as far as groceries, things like dried beans (cook then freeze them), local in season produce (freeze). i have a slow cooker so i made soups from scratch which last the week and are cheaper and healthier than buying canned soups.

if you live somewhere where it is possible, ride a bike instead of driving. i will walk to the grocery as well if i only need a few things. i also do a monthly shopping from shoprite shop at home so i can see all the sales on the webpage and search by unit price. once i started doing that i prolly saved close to $100 a month on groceries from not being in the store stressed or rushing or missing sale items.

i also started taking $60 a week out and not using my debit card, it is only used if we go out somewhere with friends (which isn't often, i hate going out haha). that way i don't spend my debit card all the time. for me, $60 is enough for gas for the week and any other things like cigs (roll my own to save).

i also keep all the lights off until it is pretty dark to help keep the electric bill down, and fill the sink with water and wash dishes instead of leaving it running to help the water bill.

if you have the property to do it, try growing your own produce and herbs, and you can freeze them so they last longer.

also, relook your bills. see if you can find a cell phone plan cheaper elsewhere, check every now and then with other insurance companies to get quotes and see if you can save. i just got off the phone with mine and can save $14 a month by switching my payment method and doing defensive driving course. every little bit helps.

cooking from scratch definitely is better for your wallet than buying prepared meals, if that is something you do already than kudos to you!
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I love to read, and I was spending lots of money on new books until I found and joined PaperBackSwap.com. You post books you want to trade (paperback and hardcover), and you "order" books from other members with the credits you get for sending your books. It is not free in the sense that you pay shipping to mail your books (media rate), when another member orders from you and you earn a credit when they receive it, that you then spend on a book you want. It comes out to about $2.58 to ship one paperback.

I use coupons and shop the sales at my local grocery store.

We only go out to dinner maybe once a month, most meals are home cooked.

I've been shopping at the thrift store while I've been losing weight, for clothes in my "in between" sizes.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Make a budget.

Track actual spending.

See where actual deviated from budget and take steps to help make sure the variance doesn't happen again.

Basically just like calorie counting, but with money.

I'd use software for this, but that of course, may not fit the budget.

Periodically, take a hard look at what recurring expenses you can do without, think creatively about ways to eliminate them, such an example listed above is Netflix + Hulu + Amazon Prime in lieu of cable (not really an option (legally at least) for sports fans)

There's an app I use called Track My Spend. Really simple to use and I always have my phone on me so I can add things easily when I'm out and about.

If you've got any debts, always pay the one that attracts the highest rate of interest first (probably credit card).

Cut back on things that you don't NEED like take away coffee and beverages. Make foor from scratch at home and pack your lunch most days (good for your waist line and your wallet)
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Bring your lunch everyday versus going out to eat; order water versus soda or alcohol; use coupons for groceries; shop at consignment/thrift stores.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Stop buying different bottles of expensive chemicals for all your different cleaning needs. I've found that vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol in various combinations will clean just about anything from my floors to my bathtub to my hair & teeth. There are multiple lists of alternative/cheap/DIY cleaning techniques on the 'net.

Also: buy in bulk at someplace like Costco. For anything like this that's nonperishable and something you *know* you'll use eventually, (toilet paper, trash bags, cleaning supplies, deodorant) it's well worth your while to buy in bulk whenever possible. I am paid biweekly, so every 3-4 months I have a 3-paycheck month. When that happens, I take the extra paycheck to Costco and buy my bulk stuff.

(However, please DO NOT buy at Sam's Club. They are horrible people who pay their CEO over $20 million but refuse to pay their regular workers a living wage. The Costco workers receive a much higher wage and regular advancement opportunities. When you buy at Costco, your money goes to help other hard workers, not line the pockets of rich people.)
    (No, I'm not a Costco employee! I just like my money to go to worthy places, and I do my research on the companies I patronize.)
  • syedsaad
    syedsaad Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Grow your own food, learn how to fix your car, toilet, etc., start a compost, recycle rain water, the list goes on and on and on. The more independent you become, the more money you will save.
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I make my own laundry detergent. 1 bar of fels naptha soap. I grate it, (large grate, so it's easy), and then put it in a food processor and grind it up. (I purchased a cheap little processor just to make my detergent. It was $7.00) . Add 2 cups of Borax, (yes 20 mule team borax), and 2 cups of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda, not the baking soda with the fels naptha in a container and shake it all up. I use two tablespoons per load, that's about 6 cents per wash.

I don't use fabric softener. I bought a Downy ball and fill it to the line with white vinegar. White vinegar does so much, no home should be without it. It removes any extra soap in the wash in the final rinse. It does not make your clothes smell like vinegar, and it's good for your machine.

I don't use dryer sheets. I use dryer balls, and I use about 6 of them. They fluff up the laundry and make it soft naturally.

Use white vinegar in the dishwasher instead of Finish, which is ridiculously expensive. I think it's just blue vinegar.

I cook from scratch all the time as I have a ton of food allergies. Always cheaper.

When you can, pay off whatever monthly payment is the smallest. So I have a CC I'm going to pay off at the end of the month, finally. That payment I used to make every month to them I'll put to the new lowest monthly payment. I'm trying to get out of debt and this is where I'm beginning.

By used or older versions. I got a great HRM (Polar f11) on ebay for $60 bucks. It was new, but it's an old version. It listed for $178.00 back in it's hey day. I don't need to buy the latest and greatest version of anything. If it does what I need it to do, then it's fine with me.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :wink: In Australia ...our supermarket chains have specials ... i/2 price ...Food essentials every week ...So i watch for what we use and buy 3 @ half price , as i have worked out they special again in 3 weeks ...We call it half price shopping and it works for us on a Pension .

The other tip is Eucalyptus oil mixed with Euca/ disinfect ...and micro clothes save heaps on cleaning around the home .

The list is endless , stove top, bathroom basins , toilet , kitchen benches , stains on laundry , Also great on glass patio furniture and steel framing . Shower screens ........Childrens toys , Makes the home smell so fresh .. Two teaspoons of oil to 400 ml spray bottle ...with Nu Clenz disinfectant ...goes a long way ...... :happy: ( Make sure spray bottle is not on mist spray as can be a little over powering . )

http://www.fgb.com.au/shop/essential-oils/eucalyptus-oil/bosistos-eucalyptus-oil-250ml-detail
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    Grow your own marijuana and make your own moonshine.

It cuts costs WAY down.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    - I shop almost exclusively at discount grocery stores (Aldi, Ruler, etc.). I've found I can get almost everything I need and that's cheaper than regular grocery stores (even with coupons.) However, I WILL shop at regular grocery stores when they put things on special.

- freeze, freeze, freeze. You can freeze a surprising number of foods. I almost never throw food away anymore. If I know I'm not going to be able to finish it before it goes bad, I freeze it! I buy produce when it's on sale, prep it, and freeze it immediately. If it's not cheap, I don't buy it.

- Eat at my parents' house as often as possible, lol. I do laundry there too! I'm a mooch and they love me anyway.

- Started cleaning someone's house for $50/week. It adds up.

- Hypermiling. I don't know if it really works for me, as I already have a pretty efficient car ... but it's fun ;)

- Sell things on e-bay if they're worth more than about $50. (Otherwise I've found by the time I pay for shipping and get the post office it's not really worth my effort.)

- Turn off ALL the lights when I'm asleep/not home. Turn off the AC or heat at night if I can stand it. Unplug major appliances when possible.

- Shop online for the best deals before I buy. Use websites to compare prices even if I'm not going to actually buy online. (For ex., just compared prices of kettlebells from walmart.com and target.com.)

Saving money is kind of addicting once you get used to the idea of being "purposefully poor" :)
  • ltgarrow
    ltgarrow Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Steal everything, get arrested, live for free in prison.
  • iamihobo
    iamihobo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you drink 1% milk you can actually make it last longer by buying Whole milk.
    Half gallon whole milk; pour half into a pourable container and leave half in the original.
    Fill half with water in both containers; leaving room in the original container for air when frozen.
    Freeze the original container and use the pourable one in the fridge.
    This will make $2 milk last 2 months, and you get a half gallon in each.

The only difference between 1% milk and whole milk is the amount of water in the milk.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    thanks for all those helpful tips
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I didn't read to see if anyone else had mentioned this, but packing and pre-planning food! Not only does it help me save money but also helps me to stay on track with my calories. I work part time on top of going to college full time, so this is really essential to me. Eating out is so expensive and absolutely not worth it. I also shop almost completely at Aldi, unless they don't happen to carry what I need.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    i always shop with a list, and buy the generic or sale items which ever is cheaper, and coupons!
    and i know what stores have the better prices on what in my town so break down my list like that.
    my dad taught me how to get the best deals, and to triple check prices.
  • CaliforniaBarbie
    CaliforniaBarbie Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Steal everything, get arrested, live for free in prison.

^^^^this^^^^ i change my answere to this
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Sadly coupon policies are slightly different here (Canada) than the states.
    Check out http://smartcanucks.ca/ this site gave me lots of great tips and got me started on the right path.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    If you drink 1% milk you can actually make it last longer by buying Whole milk.
    Half gallon whole milk; pour half into a pourable container and leave half in the original.
    Fill half with water in both containers; leaving room in the original container for air when frozen.
    Freeze the original container and use the pourable one in the fridge.
    This will make $2 milk last 2 months, and you get a half gallon in each.

The only difference between 1% milk and whole milk is the amount of water in the milk.

The difference between whole and 1% milk is the fat content. If you water down your milk. You also water down the nutrients in it.
    If your sole purpose is to save money, great. But if you drink milk for the calcium, protein/nutrition I don't suggest you water it down.