Struggling with Internal Motivation

Options
Hey all,

I've had success in the past with staying on track, eating really well and sticking to a workout regimen. However, it always seems to happen when I'm involved in some kind of competition. (Weight watchers at work, etc).

I'm wondering if anyone has some advice on what they do to stay internally motivated instead of relying on outdoing someone else? I know that in order to be truly successful at finding a balance for a healthy lifestyle, it needs to come from within me, I'm just not sure where to start.

Replies

• HippieChickadee
    Options
    I'm like you.

I'm still early in this losing weight journey of mine but here's what I did:

Find an active hobby.

Simple.

I decided to work towards being able to run a 5K- then a 10K- then a half and so on.

Instead of focusing on my weight loss and the scale, I'm focusing on becoming a runner. The exercise goes along with it- and therefor the weight loss has been (eating well and properly of course)

So what do you like that you want to take up? Running? Tennis? Swimming?
  • Rissyroo513
    Rissyroo513 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm working on running a half marathon in October. I haven't been training like I should and I'm quite terrified that I'm not going to be able to do it because I've been slacking.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    The problem with motivation is that it comes and goes. I've been on MFP over nearly a year now and although I log every day, my eating definitely isn't 100% all the time or I skip my morning runs from time to time. I find when I lose my motivation I have to put my brain on robot mode and do the things that need to be done and not think about what I'm doing (if that makes sense).

I'd say the most important part is not quitting. Regardless of whether you have a good or bad day, just keep going.

Also I totally agree with HippieChikad - find a new focus other than the number on the scale. I stopped caring so much about the number on the scale and more about becoming a runner.

You can do it!