Trouble weighing rice

Options
It shows 42g of uncooked rice is 150 calories. After I cook a bunch of rice, I weigh 42g of cooked rice but it's so little. It's hard to believe that such few rice is 150 calories. That would mean that a small bowl of rice would be atleast 450+ calories, which is not true. How do I properly measure cooked rice?

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It shows 42g of uncooked rice is 150 calories. After I cook a bunch of rice, I weigh 42g of cooked rice but it's so little. It's hard to believe that such few rice is 150 calories. That would mean that a small bowl of rice would be atleast 450+ calories, which is not true. How do I properly measure cooked rice?

Rice, pasta, quinoa is always measured dry (pre cooked).
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    100 grams cooked rice is around 100 calories.
  • sherrybaby81
    sherrybaby81 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    You measure it dry according to the serving size. The calories is for all of it cooked. if you measured it in cups, say you measured out 1/2 cup dry, and say that was 200 calories. When it is cooked, it will be more than 1/2 cup, but it will still read at 200 calories. You just measure or weight it out when it is dry. You care only adding water to it, so to measure it out after you are cutting your calories short.
  • intheflowers
    intheflowers Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    42g of uncooked rice is 152 calories and 42g of cooked rice is 55 calories
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Rice and pasta absorb large quantities of water during cooking. Measure them dry.