help with weight loss?

Options
Hello everyone! I've decided to get on the right path and get healthy as well as shed quite a bit of weight. I've been loging and exercising as much as I can but I'm not really seeing results. I try to eat 1000-1200 calories a day spread out between two meals. To be honest I really don't like to eat all that much. I've been used to eating one meal at night for awhile now so adding the second meal was tough enough. Here is an example of a typical breakfast. (Two pieces of 35 cal toast, 4 pieces of turkey sausage, and some egg beaters with hoy sauce.) Dinner is like this: two to three pieces of baked or grilled fish and veggies or rice.

While I do realize the portions are large you have to realize I am a 330lb 6'2" guy. Obviously that isn't an excuse but its all I can do to hit the right amount of calories in a healthier way.

When I exercise I do a walk/run combo for 30 min. I try to do this 3-4 times a week. I've been doing (5 min warm up, 2min jog/2min walk for 30 min) this routine for about a month but I'm not seeing any benefits. I realize it takes awhile for weight to drop but I assumed I would see something.

Also, it could be my metabolism. I was laid off 6 months ago so its hard to be active on such a low budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help me out guys.

Ps. Before someone suggest running more, I have a knee that I've had surgery on and its hard enough to do the cardio I currently do.

Replies

• mama_speak
    Options
    You aren't eating enough, especially with your exercise. If you would like to talk more in depth feel free to message me! :)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    First you aren't eating enough. I'm a 5'2 female and 1200 has never been enough for me so I can't even begin to imagine you on 1000-1200 calories a day. What has MFP set for you as calorie goal?

Second, meal frequency and timing are completely irrelevant to weight loss. Your body wants the appropriate amount of calories and macronutrients at the end of the day, it doesn't care how or when it gets it.

Third, cardio is not necessary. Would lifting be an alternative with your knee?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've decided to get on the right path and get healthy as well as shed quite a bit of weight. I've been loging and exercising as much as I can but I'm not really seeing results. I try to eat 1000-1200 calories a day spread out between two meals. To be honest I really don't like to eat all that much. I've been used to eating one meal at night for awhile now so adding the second meal was tough enough. Here is an example of a typical breakfast. (Two pieces of 35 cal toast, 4 pieces of turkey sausage, and some egg beaters with hoy sauce.) Dinner is like this: two to three pieces of baked or grilled fish and veggies or rice.

While I do realize the portions are large you have to realize I am a 330lb 6'2" guy. Obviously that isn't an excuse but its all I can do to hit the right amount of calories in a healthier way.

When I exercise I do a walk/run combo for 30 min. I try to do this 3-4 times a week. I've been doing (5 min warm up, 2min jog/2min walk for 30 min) this routine for about a month but I'm not seeing any benefits. I realize it takes awhile for weight to drop but I assumed I would see something.

Also, it could be my metabolism. I was laid off 6 months ago so its hard to be active on such a low budget. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Help me out guys.

Ps. Before someone suggest running more, I have a knee that I've had surgery on and its hard enough to do the cardio I currently do.

I'm a cashier (lightly active job) 41 year old 5'6" woman who now weighs 278 lbs (was 383) and I eat between 1630 (to lose 2 lbs a week) and 2130 (to lose 1 lb a week) without exercise (exercise bumps the numbers up and I eat that too). Being male, taller, and younger you are definitely not eating enough.

Set up MFP with your info and either sedentary or lightly active, your weight loss goal per week, and eat that amount in whatever time or times you like. When you do your jog/walk, log that and eat a portion of those calories back. If you want to eat all your calories right before bed or spread them out through the day that's fine. Up your calories to an appropriate level and give it a solid month to month and a half. I find that I have no problem reaching my calorie goal if I cut out the majority of foods with the words "light" "non-fat" "low fat" and "diet" in the titles.
  • hunterpvp1
    hunterpvp1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Personally I eat around 1200 calories a day as well. It has worked for me, but I feel like I could eat a lot more if I wanted to lose weight slower. What might help a lot is something called intermittent fasting. It is kinda complicated but it works amazingly. If you want to eat that much and are curious about what I do check out my logs! Message me if you want any more info!
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    At the calories you are eating now you will be losing 4 or more pounds per week. Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss so even if you are in bed 24/7 you will still lose weight if you eat less calories than your body needs. In order to lose weight in a healthy way it would be better if you ate more than you are eating. You could eat 1500 to 2000 calories and still be losing 2 to 4 pounds per week. When weight loss happens it is sometimes in chunks at a time so do not get discouraged when it does not happen every day or every week. Exercise is good for your health if you are physically able to do it. You can do this!
  • teaman000
    Options
    I guess it seems like I'm not eating enough...which seems odd to me.

As for gym time, lifting is an option. I tried lifting when I first hit the gym but I read that lifting with a lot of weigh can be more harmful than beneficial because muscle builds over the fat. I have the time and am willing to do anything to get this weight off so any help is appreciated.