Crying out for help and support!

Options
Hello everyone, I'm 22 years old going to cosmetology school, I have a 18 month old baby boy who's full of Energy! I am so tired of giving up on my diet =[ and so tired of hearing myself saying this is it! I was doing great but I notice i slack off a lot because i simply eat the same foods all the time i need to learn how to cook healthy food so Im on the search for quick easy recipes since I hardly have time to cook any meals! I need major support on my energy as i Tend to slack on discipline but Im still at it not quitting ! =]

Replies

• missmimichan
    Options
    Try making time once a week to premake your meals and snacks it helps so much and you will stick to your meal plans tons more!
  • MarvicsMommy
    MarvicsMommy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks girly! sorry replying back so late but it sucks you cant see blogs post and all that through a phone so thats why im taking a long time but yesh... i did it this past week and it worked im going to weight myself in tommorrow see how it went...
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Salads. Eat as many green veggies as you want and you'll never have a problem feeling full and keeping the calories down.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    PREpare, so you have a game plan. Without a plan, it's easier to cave-in to fast food or other tempting unhealthy foods while going to school.

I've bought a couple of small ice chests, and keep one of them in car~ surprised how much I use it, if it's there.
    I always have 4 or 5 16 oz water bottles in the freezer, to use instead of ice in the ice chest. Re-freeze / re use. Less messy than ice and keeps things colder.

you can make a list of easy 'to go' items, and keep experimenting/adding to the list.
    keep the frig & cabinets well stocked so you can always grab and go.
    might even keep some non-perishibles in you car.

If you can stick with eating just what you make/take, that's great.
    If it's not enough to satisfy you, at least eat your make/take items first, before you're tempted by other things.

there's so much you can buy, that doesn't really need any prepping.
    v8 juice, soy milk, carrots & hummus, lean chicken breast (not deli meat), prepared salads, nuts & dried fruit measured out in small baggies,, 0% fat greek yogurt (high in protein) to name a few.

good luck!!
  • CaitlinM77
    Options
    Hey there!
    It's a hard thing to do, isn't it! From someone whose diet was completely rubbish, here's how you start. (I've used other calorie tracking apps, I'm just new to myfitnesspal)

Eat a huge meal, then sit down and plan your meals for the week. If your family/room mates get any treats that you find it impossible to resist, ask them to go without for a week. If they won't, then set aside a space for your own pantry and only go into those shelves.

Play around with myfitnesspal in terms of planning what your daily intake should be. Don't go hard-core. This is going to be hard enough without cutting yourself down to starvation levels, and also this is a long-term lifestyle change. You don't want to be miserable while you're doing it, it's not sustainable.

Don't worry about variety. This first week, you're just worried about getting your base diet correct. You can add variety in later. When I started up, I ate the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day.

For instance, my base diet is: Guardian cereal and milk, and a protein shake (I don't like eggs/meat for breakfast and protein fills you up) for breakfast, a huge salad with four different kinds of veges, balsamic vinegar for a dressing, and poached chicken for lunch, and protein [meat, fish, tofu] and steamed veges for dinner. For snacks, I'd have a measured handful of almonds and a couple of pieces of fruit.

Whenever I'm tired and stressed, I have done this base diet for SO LONG that I have the ingredients and can do it without thinking about it. Do this for a couple of weeks, and when you're feeling less tired and stressed and overwhelmed, you can gradually try recipes, work out how many portions in a recipe and how many calories in a portion. Then you have a series of recipes that you've tried that you like, and you know how many calories they are.

Prepare for failure. I am completely unable to resist hunger. I try to have a couple of glasses of water first, but if I'm genuinely hungry then it is better for me to have a piece of fruit or a protein shake that's 100 or so calories than some junk food that's a couple of hundred or more. Keep healthy snacks around and note everything you eat. If you have a bad day, that's fine. Everybody has them. The point is accepting it and moving on, and not allowing bad days to become bad weeks to become bad months.

Give up drinking anything calorific. It's a huge source for most people. Don't have milk in your coffee (the caffeine basically means you don't absorb calcium anyway), cut out having sugar in tea or coffee and ditch soda/pop/softdrink. Limit your juice intake--you're better off having a piece of fruit. Drink low-fat milk in measured quantities and no sweetened or flavoured milk. Water and black, unsweetened coffee/tea are your new best friends.

Learn how to distinguish between real hunger and cravings/emotional triggers. The best thing my dietician told me is: think of eating a piece of fruit. If you want to eat the fruit, you're hungry. If you don't want fruit, but you're salivating at the thought of a burger, you're having a craving and you can ignore it.

Good luck!
  • AndyBloot
    Options
    Some good advice here so my 2c

Make breakfast your most important meal.
    i fill myself up with a 5 grain porridge combo - rolled oats, triticale, spelt, quinoa, rolled barley
    i add pepitas, almonds, coconut oil, chia seeds, psyllium husk, and a small amount of honey.

Other meals i make a rice cooker full of brown rice or wild rice combo
    Heat it up at meal time and add a few raisins. i also add things like flavored tofu, nuts and seeds
    Garnish with a nice extra virgin olive oil - i use one infused with lemon
    I sprout legumes and throw these on at will and the same with salad ingredients
    particularly rocket which Iove - if home grown, all the better

I also have smoothies on a late workout night
    I always add blueberries (frozen are great) and a banana
    Whey protein powder and rice milk

I have a wholemeal pasta night with the least processed stir through pesto I can find
    It never seems to get old, and I eat the left overs the next day

Another workout night fave is wholemeal bread with sardines
    Rocket or alfalfa on top and Bob's your uncle

But i find a good breakfast is the key to a good day, and a meal which a lot of people miss

Also, I think the word 'diet' should be eliminated from the healthy persons vocabulary
    Eat fresh and healthy unprocessed foods and you may never need to count calories
    Get out with your little one and move around as much as you can

And sometimes you just feel hungry
    If you can resist , go with it until breakfast (or try celery with sea or rock salt)
    if not, have a good snack but don't beat yourself up over it
    We all have good days and bad days - it's important to accept that
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I didn't see this posted in the other replies: Get a crockpot and crockpot recipes are on-line. The crockpots aren't expensive if you want a new one and if you aren't picky, check your local thrift store.

The recipes use natural ingredients, you can fill it up the night before, start it in the morning and it'll be ready when you get home from work.

You can make full meals, just veggies or just meat to use in other recipes. We do this quite a bit as we are empty nesters and both work...especially in the winter time. My hubby just made a fabulous beef stew with carrots, celery, mushrooms, peppers, onions and sweet potatoes. You can serve as is or with noodles/pasta or rice, or with some type of bread. Crockpots are also very good at making inexpensive cuts of meat melt in your mouth good!

Also, you can make enough for several meals and freeze some to just thaw, heat and serve later! Good luck! :smile:
  • tmontes1
    tmontes1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've slacked off documenting 3 different times but finally came true to myself. I must say that this has also trickled down to my child as well. I want you to go into your cooler and be honest with yourself. All Juice, soda and many of the dressings on the side door must be moved to the trash. Juices are a calorie and sugar nightmare. The fresh fruit is a far better way to satisfy your urge. Also don't cut yourself off but, slowly take portions away. My treat is yogurtland at an average of 30 cal. per ounce. This is a great place to get your needed treat while also including time for your family and...It's as cheap or as expensive as you want. Also if you shop at the grocery store you'll find yourself in the same place you are now or have been in the past. Try a local farmers market and you'll notice there are NO cereal boxes or any wild eye catching photos to entice you to taste or buy. Only the freshest products and many time at reasonable prices toward the end of the business day, just ask! Remember, this for you but effects many others around you as well. Stay focused and good luck!