NOT SLEEPING / NEW DAY

Options
Say my kcal for a day is 1400.

If I eat 1400 kcals within a day but I do not sleep.. I do an all nighter does this mean the next 1400 kcals I eat the next day = to 2800? or is it still 1400 calories for the second day?

Replies

• zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't think you burn more calories sitting at a computer (unless you were doing very vigorous typing maybe) than you would be lying in your bed sleeping. So it would be 1400 calories both days.
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean. 1,400 calories per day as in approximately 1,400 calories per 24 hour period.

You can take a look at my food diary. Monday I woke up approximately 12:15 and I went to sleep Wednesday at approximately 04:00. Yesterday I woke up at approximately 15:45 and have just (08:15) had yesterday's (Wednesday's) late snack and am about to have today's breakfast (I haven't slept yet).

The difference between sleep and sitting is negligible for me (excluding the restorative sleep phase). As I don't get much delta-wave sleep, and average around 4 hours sleep a night, they are about on par with each other. Assuming 8 hours sleep with 50% of that time in delta sleep (in all probability an over-estimate) for me that would be approximately 168 calories difference between not sleeping at all and getting excellent sleep. Factor in reduced mental ability (if brain function contributes to 20% of BMR I'd assume sluggishness would have a tiny impact), reduced exercise performance, and the possibility of sleeping longer during the next sleep, it probably all averages out over the course of a week.