Bloated/puffy face in the morning

Options
Could it be because I eat late in the evening. From 19:00 to 23-24:00?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Not likely. More likely causes-dehydration, excess salt, poor sleep, alcohol....Probably a million others.
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    How can excess salt create puffiness, changing the amount of salt intake on the daily is what creates puffiness.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    How can excess salt create puffiness, changing the amount of salt intake on the daily is what creates puffiness.

Sodium causes water retention typically.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I don't understand your question.
  • Blesmols
    Blesmols Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I somehow doubt that. I am a vampire that doesn't get up until 2 pm CST. I eat dinner sometime around 2:30, 3 AM, every day. Has this always been an issue for you, or is it new? If it came on abruptly I would consider seeing a doctor about it. It may be an increase in salt in your diet (sometimes the culprit is the very "healthy" pre-packaged meals, you got to watch 'em) or just your body acclimating. In the past, my facial swelling has been because of a thyroid issue. Even so, drinking 8 cups of water a day, adding some low-sodium V-8 or other potassium sources, and moving around more has made a difference. :smile:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    have you tried those wraps? they can probably be worn on the face if you cut little nostril holes into them. put the wrap on the face first, then cut the nostril hole out (or just poke through with a sharp pencil). you don't want to do it in the other order because then the holes might not line up.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    have you tried those wraps? they can probably be worn on the face if you cut little nostril holes into them. put the wrap on the face first, then cut the nostril hole out (or just poke through with a sharp pencil). you don't want to do it in the other order because then the holes might not line up.

:bigsmile:
  • millywildflowers
    Options
    This happens to me whenever i eat rice, bread or pasta for dinner so i dont anymore :-)
  • terriblyn
    terriblyn Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Not likely. More likely causes-dehydration, excess salt, poor sleep, alcohol....Probably a million others.

^^This! I get a total puffy face when I do any of the things above and have regular face upon waking when I don't.
    Try drinking tons of water, avoiding too much sodium/alcohol, and getting your zz's first and see if that stops the bloat...(I bet it does)
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    I think it's because of too little salt. I almost completely stopped eating salty foods, before I ate a lot of those.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I love google. Note: they mention excessive salt. I've never heard of too little salt causing puffiness.

Puffy Face Causes:

In general, a puffy face in the morning is a condition with many different possible causes. Such puffiness is mostly found near the eyes. Here is a list of some of the possible causes of puffy face in the morning.

One of the most common reasons for puffy face in the morning is dehydration. As the body gets dehydrated, it tends to hold on to the water remaining in the body. The eyelids are one of those locations where water gets accumulated due to dehydration.

Insufficient sleep as well as sleeping for long durations may be among the puffy face causes.

Excessive alcohol consumption and smoking may be among the reasons for facial puffiness in the morning.

In some cases, puffiness of face can be caused by diet. This may happen if you have a diet with excessive salt. A diet with less nutrients (particularly vitamin C and beta carotene) may also lead to such puffiness.

Lifestyle factors, too, play a vital role in causing this condition. This includes lack of exercise, sedentary lifestyle, obesity, etc.

If you have the habit of sleeping with eye make-up on, then there are chances that you can develop puffiness of the face in the morning.

Eye infections are also a possible cause for this condition. It is advisable to avoid use of old eye make up that may cause eye infections.

People with high blood pressure may have puffy face in the morning. Intake of certain medications during the night may also cause such puffiness.

Other causes include stress, allergies, hormonal changes, incessant crying, thyroid problems, certain kidney disorders, sinusitis, tooth abscess, etc.
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    Well the excessive salt part is wrong, because I didn't have that when I ate excessive amounts of salt. It's a misunderstanding, the daily changes of intake is what can cause water retention.
  • qwerty1895
    Options
    It was because of too little salt. Added the usual daily amount of salt to a single meal last evening (was quite salty but whatever) and I have no puffy face today, it worked.