Your best Avocado recipe?

Options
Faery_Dust
Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
I've managed to get to the age of 32 yrs and never tried an avodaco lol. Just wondered what everyone's favourite recipe is, or do you just eat them raw? I have no idea what they even taste like lol.

Replies

• i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Avocado egg salad. Mix together mashed avocado, natural yogurt, mayo, red wine vinegar, a boiled egg and some chives. Season with black pepper and smear on toasted bread.
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Up until a few months ago I didn't like avocado, but I slowly started incorporating it into my diet and now I enjoy it. My first dishes included things like creamy sauces for pasta or enchiladas made with blended up avocado, cheese, herbs, a bit of milk to thin it out. I've made alfredo-esque dishes that felt super indulgent but were much healthier than the full calorie version. Two other ways I eased avocado into my diet were with tofu "egg" salad and cheesy guacamole. I put soft cheese in the guac because I love cheese and it helped carry the avocado along - I actually still like it this way a lot because it's super tasty. :)
  • matti3553
    Options
  • stinkypoopy
    stinkypoopy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Best to first try raw with a little salt to taste.

The basics are guacamole as a dip or a spread on toast (plenty of recipes on the net).
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I smoosh them on wholegrain toast and dust with salt and pepper (no need for butter). I sometimes add sliced tomato on top. Makes a really yummy, low calorie, healthy and filling breakfast or lunch.
  • Kyledrums
    Kyledrums Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've had this a couple of times and love it. Though I think I love everything on Oh She Glows so try the other avocado recipes and let me know how you get on :)

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Avocado chocolate mousse!
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I love avocado! I try to introduce it to my meals as often as I can! Filling and good fats!

- I put it over my home made quesadillas (Mexican quesadillas only have cheese). Mixed with salsa is amazing as toping!
    - Over omelettes!
    - With grilled fish, over it..
    - Shrimp, tomato, avocado, lime salad..!!
    - On sandwiches instead of mayo
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I'm told it's an acquired taste, but my mother says she could eat nothing but avocado for a month while carrying me, and it's been my favourite food since I was a child. I would take avocado with some salt over candy, and 99% of the time that's still the case today. Sometimes I'll replace a meal with a large avocado with salt and I'm perfectly satisfied.

Ways I eat it:
    - cut up in chunks, or straight out of the skin with salt sprinkled over (this is the way I almost always eat it)
    - in veggie sushi rolls
    - instead of mayonnaise on a sandwich (when I ate meat I used to LOVE it with cajun spiced turkey, mustard and lettuce on rosemary and olive oil bread with some swiss cheese. Almost makes me want to go back to eating meat just thinking about it... *glazed over stare*)
    - cut up in chunks and mixed with salsa for a quick guacamole to go over a quesadilla or in a burrito
    - the El Pollo Loco avocado salsa coppycat recipe that's floating around on the internet is super yummy as well.

If you end up trying it and absolutely hating it, it's LOVELY mixed with coconut oil and used as a deep conditioning treatment in your hair!

Or you could send it to me :P

Picking an avocado is kind of an art, you want one that when you put it in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze is firm, yet yields, but isn't squishy and mushy or too hard. If it's too mushy, it's likely bruised or rotten, and if it's too hard, it'll likely either be dry and hard or watery and tough because it's not ripe yet. If you happen to have one that isn't ripe yet, try leaving it in a paper bag over night and feeling it again the next day. It might ripen up a little.

Best of luck, and I hope you love it as much as I do!
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Picking an avocado is kind of an art, you want one that when you put it in the palm of your hand and gently squeeze is firm, yet yields, but isn't squishy and mushy or too hard. If it's too mushy, it's likely bruised or rotten, and if it's too hard, it'll likely either be dry and hard or watery and tough because it's not ripe yet. If you happen to have one that isn't ripe yet, try leaving it in a paper bag over night and feeling it again the next day. It might ripen up a little.

Also works by putting off the little thing on top (sorry, my mother language is not English!). If it's too green, that means it's not good, if it's yellow it's ok. It helps with the squeeze test and so far it's been really helpful for me! (I buy a lot of avocado!)
  • VioletNightshade
    Options

Also works by putting off the little thing on top (sorry, my mother language is not English!). If it's too green, that means it's not good, if it's yellow it's ok. It helps with the squeeze test and so far it's been really helpful for me! (I buy a lot of avocado!)

That's true, but you have to be careful with that, too, because if you pull it off and then have to leave it to ripen up, it can mold too quickly.

I have no idea what that little nubby thing is called... a stem perhaps? I think it's a stem. *shrug* And your English is quite good and understandable (lovely spelling by the way! I know that's a difficult thing when learning English, even for native English speakers), I wouldn't worry :)
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Thanks everyone, these sound like great ideas!
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options

That sounds soooo good :drinker:
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    toast two slices of granary bread, slice a ripe avocado ( the green skin pear-shaped kind, not the knobbly dark egg-shaped one - yuck) and press the avocado onto the toast. I think if you mash the avocado you lose that lovely texture. some salt and a grind of black pepper on top and scoff immediately. a tiny dribble of fresh lemon juice is optional. is best with a builders tea. i'm hungry just thinking about it!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I've managed to get to the age of 32 yrs and never tried an avodaco lol. Just wondered what everyone's favourite recipe is, or do you just eat them raw? I have no idea what they even taste like lol.

I was in the same boat. Never cared to try it, but I have now.
  • LMick1986
    LMick1986 Posts: 431
    Options
    The first time I had avocado was just plain with salt. I HATED it! I couldn't get past a second bite (I always give food a second bite just in case my first taste was wrong). Didn't eat it again for YEARS. I LOVE it now though. Just plain raw is great. Guacamole is great for dipping veggies. Plain, spread onto toast with egg whites. Plain, cut into chunks for salads. And one I just tried the other day: Cut the avocado into chunks....chop/blend onions, parsley, garlic, and sea salt (I think those were the seasonings I used).....mix all ingredients along with juice from two lemons....wrap in romaine lettuce leaves. It makes a vegetarian-type taco thing.
  • slimmergalpal
    slimmergalpal Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Faery_Dust
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I hope I like it these sound great lol.
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Avocado Hummus

• One 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1 large or 2 small avocadoes, seeded, peeled and coarsely chopped
    • 1/2 packed cup arugula
    • 1/3 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 clove garlic, smashed
    • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra for seasoning
    • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra for seasoning
    • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    Combine the beans, avocado, arugula, parsley, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Gradually add the olive oil until the mixture is creamy. Season with salt and pepper.
    Serve with pita chips.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Bump! Great ideas here. Thank you!