Too much sugar - advice needed

Options
Okay - After being on a plateau for what seems like ages, then losing the plot completely for a week or so I am starting to wonder why ?????

I have realised that my daily intake of just under 1400 cals (I am 55 female currently weight 138lbs, and 5'3 in) is mostly made up of low fat but high sugar foods - so called health bars, cereal bars etc - low fat crisps and the like. The only proper meal I have is in the evening ie: small piece of protein, some carbs and veggies.

I'm now confused because I've been reading different things on this site about calories. Some people are saying that "a calorie is a calorie" whether it's crappy calories (as in so called health bars) or proper food (as in protein and fruit). I do understand that anything high in sugar is an instant fix so to speak and you feel hungry sooner, and therefore perhaps eat more if you're not careful.

So.. to stop rambling and to help me back on track, and get off this sugar rush -

1. What foods will give me more energy
2. What foods will keep me fuller for longer
3 What foods are low in calories keeping the above in mind
4 What foods can I eat that are sweet (I have a really sweet tooth) other than fruit which for some reason make me feel hungry, also keeping the above in mind.
5. What would be good lunchbox foods, with the above in mind as well.

Sorry to ramble on. Oh - I live in the UK so any foods need to be UK related please.

Many thanks for any help / advice

Replies

• ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Firstly you need to think about your macros. If you log everything on MFP you will be able to see what percentage of macronutrients you are eating. You should be aiming for 30-40% of your calories to come from protein, in my opinion. This helps keep you full, satisfied, and not craving the next bit of food. I'm guessing your sugar + carb totals are way too high, considering all the "diet" foods you are eating. Don't eat diet foods, biggest problem ever i think. If you want (need!) chocolate don't have a choc cereal bar, or special k or tracker or any of that crap. You will not be satisfying your craving for chocolate. Each of those "diet" or low-cal bars are about 100 cals. So is a cadburys freddo bar, which are 20p and 95 cals. Eat and enjoy your chocolate.

If you want crisps, a packet of diet crisps are 80 to 100 cals and taste awful. There is none of the grease you want from crisps, and the flavouring is not great. A normal packet of walkers (like in the multipack) is 129 cals. Not a big difference in cals really. Unless you eat five packets!!

The same goes for ready meals, if you look at the calorie info on them and compare it to - say, a piece of fish, small baked potato with real butter and lots of green veg steamed you are not making much of a saving on cals. And diet food usually tasted crappy. If you have to have something a bit junk foody for dinner, have some fish fingers. Only 50 cals each!

Relying on diet food means you'll always be unsatisfied and feel cheated by not being allowed to have normal food cos its too high cal. Try having smaller amounts of real food with a focus on high protein. That means you'll be satisfied and full. You say you only have a small piece of protein for dinner and the rest is diet foods? Try having less diet snacks and more real foods. Meat sandwiches for lunch, with lots of meat. Less snacking means you can have more cals at meals, so you will be more full and satisfied with a full belly, which I find important.

I believe in "a calorie is a calorie" BUT I try to keep my macros around 30 - 40 % protein. I don't always make it but I do have protein with every meal.

So in answer

1. protein (meats, fish, homemade protein snacks)
    2. protein
    3. Stop thinking high volumes of low cal. Think lower volumes of higher cal.
    4. I have found the website proteinpow to be amazing for recipes. And holland and barrett stock everything you need and they always have sales on.
    5. I live on tuna sandwiches for lunch, a full tin of tuna, with pickles and raw onions and some salad cream. normal bread, but you could make protein bread if you're that way inclined (from proteinpow)

hope that helps!!

also check out leangains.com for IF-related diet tips. Read the bio first. and don't mind the mad muscles, you don't have to be a bodybuilder to do his style of eating - but it all makes sense.

let me know how you get on
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    'Diet treats' are a trap! Because they take out the fat (and often replace it with methyl cellulose for bulk), they then add sugar to make them more palatable. 'Diet' bars/cakes often have more sugar than regular.Have a banana or a nice piece of exotic fruit as a treat, the sugars are natural and better for you.
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for your help

Love the idea "Stop thinking high volumes of low cal. Think lower volumes of higher cal."

Have printed your ideas off and I will try putting them into action... :smile:
  • Tamois
    Tamois Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ailbheoconnel that was really really inspiring. I also have a mega sweet tooth and my calories are always under and my sugar always well over so thanks for your post. I'll be heeding your advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for your help

Love the idea "Stop thinking high volumes of low cal. Think lower volumes of higher cal."

Have printed your ideas off and I will try putting them into action... :smile:

This really doesn't work for me, to be honest! But I only eat low fat yogurt and cheese, pretty much...
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Each to their own. Glad to be of help to those who are like me. I have a sweet tooth and love crisps, so I am miserable if I cut them out or have low cal versions. I am also a glutton and like to feel FULL after meals, so 5 small meals of 300 cals doesn't work for me. That makes me feel like I never get to eat a proper meal. Two or three bigger meals works for me!!