What are they thinking? LOL

Options
I've been diagnosed as borderline anaemic, so I am watching my iron intake. Some of the research I have done tells me that caffeine and calcium blocks your uptake of iron. So please tell me.....why do they make iron fortified cereals, with 50% of your iron intake, when you are most likely going to pour milk on it for breakfast and drink your morning coffee as you eat it? :tongue: :laugh:

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Marketing.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat mine dry :happy:
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm a pill popper for my iron intake. But I'm also severely anemic and toeing the line for a blood transfusion. But I'm working to improve that.

Cheers,

Katie (aka kekibird)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Marketing.

I completely agree with this.

It reminds me of the Total cereals that tells you that by eating their cereal you get 100% of tons and tons of stuff in one sitting...

But, getting less than 100% at one sitting is actually ideal since you should be getting that 100% throughout the whole day. Going over on everything can lead to other problems. :)
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I cook in a cast iron skillet. Really did the trick for me and food just plain tastes better cooked in cast iron. Also cooking is a work out, those babies are heavy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Take your iron with vitamin C. And cook as often as you can in cast iron. I'm not anemic, but I'm vegetarian, so iron intake is a concern.

But, yeah, that is silly about the cereals!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my mom always told me not to mix dairy with beef because of this. So, no glass of milk with dinner (we never really were big into that, anyway)... so just gotta be careful about not doing say, meatballs and spaghetti with an alfredo sauce (it sounds divine but I won't do it!!).
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Options
    I read that eating spinach together with bell peppers enables the body to absorb iron. As far as I remember spinach & liver are the best natural sources of iron. Good luck.
  • Iwillxceed
    Iwillxceed Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow, this is the very topic I get on my co-worker about. She is border line anemic and drinks tea all day everyday. I keep telling her to limit her intake of tea and instead drink some orange juice for breakfast. Drinking tea they say is good for you but heck almost everything is bad for you, if you have too much of it(moderation is the key). Tea inhibits the absorption of Iron so please limit those types of things and just add more things that are higher in Iron content.
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    Isn't the food industry absolutely insane!!! The more I learn about nutrition the more absurd it all seems!
  • rml_16
    Options
    I read that eating spinach together with bell peppers enables the body to absorb iron. As far as I remember spinach & liver are the best natural sources of iron. Good luck.

Because of the C in the peppers.

Now that I'm thinking about it, this sounds a lot like a good reason to keep kosher! Funny how modern science discovers how right the former generations had it ...
  • rml_16
    Options
    For some reason, this thread stuck in my head yesterday and I wanted to add that dairy products inhibit the absorption of iron but don't stop it altogether.

You'll still get a benefit from the iron, but not to the extent you would without the dairy. And if you're not anemic, then I wouldn't worry about eating meatballs with alfredo sauce. It isn't going to hurt you.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Well the alfredo sauce might. I think I had my first gallbladder attack after eating fetticini alfredo. I didn't die but I sure felt like I was going to!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well the alfredo sauce might. I think I had my first gallbladder attack after eating fetticini alfredo. I didn't die but I sure felt like I was going to!

Touche! :smile:

There's only a little bit of fat in alfredo sauce, right. ;-)
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Honestly, at that point in my life, I had NO IDEA how horrible that stuff was for you. I won't even tough it these days...
  • rml_16
    Options
    Honestly, at that point in my life, I had NO IDEA how horrible that stuff was for you. I won't even tough it these days...

I'm a firm believer in enjoying everything in moderation. I wouldn't eat it every day, or even once a week. But every once in a while, if I want a treat and that's what I want, I'll eat it. I'll work out a little extra that week, but I'll still eat it. It's too good not to!

A trip to Olive Garden (unfortunately, probably the best Italian in this area) can be a 2,000-calorie adventure. But I at least know what I'm doing when I go. :-)
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I agree but I also feel like it has to be "worth it". So brownies are worth it but fetticini alfredo isn't. It just doesn't float my boat enough to take the hit.

Hope that makes sense.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I agree but I also feel like it has to be "worth it". So brownies are worth it but fetticini alfredo isn't. It just doesn't float my boat enough to take the hit.

Hope that makes sense.
    Absolutely! Everyone has their "worth it" food. A big reason I rarely drink is the calories aren't worth it to me.

Brownies are totally worth it ... especially warm with vanilla ice cream and hot fudge. :-)