Welcome to the world of weight loss

Options
BBC 2 documentary on slimming clubs on right now...I don't normally post after seeing these programmes on TV but one scene made me feel sad for one lady and these gems:

Group leader "eat turkey mince it speeds up your weight loss"

Teenagers on SlimFast

The lady who made me feel bad for her had just become a "gold member" with WW and over christmas went on an 8 mile walk, stopped at a pub and had scampi and chips (fries) and she was beside herself and visibly upset with herself for letting those foods pass her lips.

Do you think slimming clubs create a fear of food and cause guilt for eating certain foods or is it the individual?

I have personally tried slimming clubs and failed. This is my own personal opinion but I have been educated more on mfp than any club I've joined in the past. I do wonder if leaders really do have the correct knowledge for weight loss. The cynic inside me believes it just comes down to profits at the end of the day. They are businesses after all.

How do you feel about slimming clubs as opposed to free sites like this? Is anyone using both with success?

Replies

• DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh, had I known this earlier I would've checked it out. We get BBC2, but unfortunately the iplayer is only available in the UK.

I'm a former WW-member. I went to my first meeting about decade ago. The program was easy to use and yes, the weight came off. I lost 15kg/33lbs. Unfortunately I never reached a healthy BMI let alone my goal weight. Two years later, I had gained most of it back, so I went back on program and lost the weight again. I disliked the meetings so I joined the online program and was a paying member for about 4 years, in which I had been on and off program several times.

Back when I started WW it was the only tool that I knew of. I didn't want to do fad diets or pills, I wanted to lose it in a healthy way. I didn't know any other alternatives. It was easy to use, and it was easy getting back into it after a period of falling of the wagon. I liked that I could eat whatever I wanted, I would still cook like I used to but take smaller portions. However, it was hard to stay on program for several months, because I did feel hungry often.

That said, I THOUGHT I was losing weight the healthy way. Now I know that I had been eating way too little calories for long periods of time. Because I'm short I got the minimum amount of points (26) which equals about 1000-1100 calories per day. I tried to stick with that 3-4 days a week and eat a little bit more using some of my weekly points the rest of the days.

Then I found MFP. I logged here and on WW simultaneously for a week. I averaged 1500 cals on MFP, but on WW I had spent my entire weekly budget within 5 days and more. It was quite an eye-opener for me.

I did my TDEE calculations and found that my BMR is 1300. I now eat at a 15-20% deficit average 1500cals. I'm losing weight, and more importantly, I feel like I'm eating normal amounts of food. I still eat whatever I want, when it's something high in calories I'll eat a bit less of it.

Sometimes when I cook dinner it crosses my mind how many points that would be. For example I love to make chicken fajitas. It's such an easy and healthy meal in my opinion, simple bake some chicken with veggies and spices, and put it in a tortilla wrap with a little bit of sour cream. On WW, that dinner would be super high in points, around half my daily allowance. So I'd have to eat a very meager breakfast/lunch to make up for that. Now I make the same dish and sheesh it's only 560 calories! That's a perfectly normal amount for a dinner, even a bit on the low end for me (have probably 500-800 cals for dinner). On WW I'd be chewing on a cucumber for lunch to 'save points'! :grumble:

WW did help me keep my weight more or less under control, because it was a tool I could fall back on every time I gained a little bit. I'm saying more or less because I never gained all of my initial weight back, overall my trendline has been going down slowly over the years I was a paying member. However, I never did reach that healthy BMI on WW. That happened when I went off program but started exercising. Now that I've found MFP I've lost more, I'm at my lowest weight in over 13 years.

What I did notice on the WW forums in my country, is that a lot of women are afraid to use their weekly points. So they'll stick to their minimum, often between 26 and 29 points per day. A lot of them when they exercise they don't eat calories back, because again, they are afraid to use the extra points they get for exercising. A lot of women don't even exercise on WW because the weight is coming off without 'needing' to exercise. I was the same way. Exercise is not really encouraged by WW. Yeah of course they'll say it's better if you do, but their focus is 99% on food.

Personally, now that I know better, I wouldn't recommend WW to anyone. MFP is free. I eat more, I exercise more, I'm not hungry, and I'm still losing weight. I just wish I had found this years earlier!
  • curly1980
    curly1980 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "Personally, now that I know better, I wouldn't recommend WW to anyone. MFP is free. I eat more, I exercise more, I'm not hungry, and I'm still losing weight. I just wish I had found this years earlier!"

That's exactly how I feel. I'm trying to get my mum to join mfp as she lost weight through Rosemary Conley, she put some back on when she left but she did lose a lot and now maintains but my god she has to be so strict to maintain. She eats the same 3 meals everyday and gasps if she sees me eat butter, or chocolate or cake. She wouldn't dream of eating a biscuit. Her brain is set to "good" and "bad" foods. I wish she would log her food in here for a day or 2 and realise she could eat so much more. Her mindset and food knowledge all comes from the slimming club. She won't eat grapes as she was to how high in sugar they were and will still not eat anything that's over 3g of fat, whether its good or bad fat. She dies worry me but she's keeping the weight off.

I desperate don't want to be like that. I have children and I want to be able to have dessert when eating out if I want to and what I've learnt here tells me that's ok.
  • curly1980
    Options
    Ps I'm so happy this is working for you. It's hard to find that one thing that works isn't it!
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options

Your mom's situation is one I wouldn't want to be in either. As said I eat everything, but in moderation. I also learned that it doesn't matter if you splurge every once in a while, like when going out for dinner. On WW a lot of women would post to the forums that they were dreading an upcoming dinner and usually they'd get tips like eat very low points for breakfast and lunch, skip on the bread, don't have dessert, choose the lightest option etc. I go out for dinner maybe once a month, and eat whatever I like, because I already noticed even when on WW, usually I'd still lose and most often I'd actually lose MORE in weeks when I splurged more. So I guess that already set things in motion for me, confirming the idea I had that I wasn't eating enough.

I think the problem with diets and clubs is that women do what works for them. If someone would've told me a few years ago that I should count calories, I would've told them no. WW worked for me. It worked when I was on program and I didn't feel like it was unhealthy. No I never got to my goal weight in over a decade, but that was my own fault right, because I went off program! It didn't occur to me that maybe it was a method that I couldn't sustain for the rest of my life. Especially without any exercise whatsoever.

Also, if someone goes from a 1000cal diet to eating more, they will gain. They'll try it for a week and then say that it doesn't work for them, because they are gaining! I honestly don't think you can convince anyone to try a different method they don't believe in. My dad is an extreme dieter, he is always yo-yoing. He gains easily, and then starts dieting again. Diets for him are skipping breakfast, eating a cup of yoghurt for lunch and a green salad for dinner, plus excessive exercise. I've told him numerous times, dad I eat WAY more than you and I'm still losing weight! I mean, even on WW I'd eat a lot more than that! But he never took my word for it. For him dieting equals eating almost nothing and exercising till you drop. Of course, he never keeps up with this for a long time.
  • curly1980
    Options
    Completely agree...it's very hard to change the way people think and to be honest I sometimes wonder if its right to. It works for my mum even if she can't enjoy the more calorie laden things in life and if I'm being truthful you couldn't have convinced me back then, just like you said.

I wonder if leaders of slimming clubs will ever become regulated or require some form of training? I think you just buy into it now?

I do feel a little but silly tho as I got sucked in by every diet going and 100% hand in heart this is the first time I've not been starving or taking some pill, drinking a cleanse or lacking energy to exercise and it feels great. In slowly losing but I feel like I'm healthy and it's the first time I've stuck with exercise.

Your dad sounds like my mum!
  • surreygirl23
    surreygirl23 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wondered whether anyone on here was watching it. I was ironing and couldn't be bothered to change channels, even though I found it very sad. (although I did love the sisters - "ooh Greggs! we loved Greggs! sausage rolls, pies, pasties, doughnuts, and McDonalds, chinese, kebabs...!").
    That primary school teacher who spoke to her group as though they were all 5 yrs old!

The incident with the scampi stayed with me too. I wanted to dash round with a pair of tatty trainers and my dog and say "Forget your Miu Miu's, borrow these love, and enjoy some scampi on your way home..."

I've never gone near these places, and after seeing the program, I never will! I find MFP very easy to follow and much more helpful, especially if you manage to get the foods with proper nutritional info.
  • curly1980
    Options
    I wondered whether anyone on here was watching it. I was ironing and couldn't be bothered to change channels, even though I found it very sad. (although I did love the sisters - "ooh Greggs! we loved Greggs! sausage rolls, pies, pasties, doughnuts, and McDonalds, chinese, kebabs...!").
    That primary school teacher who spoke to her group as though they were all 5 yrs old!

The incident with the scampi stayed with me too. I wanted to dash round with a pair of tatty trainers and my dog and say "Forget your Miu Miu's, borrow these love, and enjoy some scampi on your way home..."

I've never gone near these places, and after seeing the program, I never will! I find MFP very easy to follow and much more helpful, especially if you manage to get the foods with proper nutritional info.

Lol! The sisters were brilliant! It was an interesting watch...bbc2 have had some good programmes on weight and food recently
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I've recorded this it sounds interesting and from what you're saying is reinforcing my perceptions of these organisations.