Women who lift

Options
Hey ladies

So I want to get serious about lifting ., I have been lifting as heavy as I can for a good few weeks now but not gaining much strength which I probably think is down to overdoing the cardio beforehand
So would love ye to share what yer lifting programme looks like and what ratio strength to cardio do ye do ?
My goals are to lower body fat % and get a nice toned look

Feel free to post some pics aswell would love to see what lifting heavy as achieved :)

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've run All Pro's beginner routine, it was fine. I liked Madcow's 5x5, but squatting 3 times a week while race training was killing me. I switched to Wendler's 5/3/1, and I liked it. (In the interest of disclosure, I'm not running a heavier lifting program at this moment.) I used to warm up with a mile, but not anymore. If I do cardio on a lifting day, it's after. Otherwise, I do cardio on opposite days. If you have access to a gym, I'd recommend looking at New Rules of Lifting (For Women).
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5......... but I want to switch to Starting Strength. Both are good, but starting strength is better.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    My advice is this.....what ever is most important to you (lifting or cardio) should come first because the other will suffer. I lift first because I don't really care about cardio. If I was a runner and I really cared about my times/speed, I'd probably run first. Just my two cents. I think most serious lifters lift first and then do cardio or even do cardio on none lifting days.

Edited to add.....I also recommend strong lifts. You will eventually stall out strength wise if you are in a deficit. I would then suggest 5x3 or 5/3/1. Good luck!
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I am in week 4 of a 6 week progressive lifting program. add me as a friend. I'll post my before and after pics and stats when we are done. I can already tell the difference. I just caught sight of the muscle in my thigh that I haven't seen since the 80's! Monday's dead lift was 165- which is HUGE for me since since it's more than my own body weight! We meet twice a week and increase by 10% every week. It's daunting and a bit intimidating and exhilarating all at the same time!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I typically lift 3x a week (mostly Stronglifts) and run 3x a week, on alternating days. Sometimes I need to prioritize... when my lifting is really heavy, my running suffers, so if running is more important, I'll ease up a bit on the weights. IE, if I was training for a race, I'd lift a lot lighter for a few weeks leading up to it.

Currently, I'm nursing a mild injury to my achilles, so I'm not doing all the much of either and going lighter on anything lower body.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I suppose at this stage of the game strength should be more important to me because I've lost most of the weight I needed to and now want to buckle down and work on body composition , I'm not aiming for anything too crazy just want to get a nice solid toned body so lowering body fat is my main goal here , I know I'm not going to gain muscle unless I eat at a surplus so maintaining good muscle mass is a main priority at the moment aswell ,
    I would love to be able to have cardio take a backseat but seeing the calorie burn makes me feel better about eating that bit more
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 4 of the All Pro routine which I really like (finished New Rules last month), and when I actually get to do it, I do my cardio on alternate days. If I did both on the same day, I would do it after lifting, or do one in the morning, and one at night.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I always lift first and do cardio only if I have time. My lifting program is a mix of StrongLifts 5x5 and Madcow. I do a maximum of 1-1/2 hours of cardio per week, usually much less.

The "nice toned look" you're looking for is achieved through strength training and calorie deficit. You do not have to kill yourself on cardio if you don't want to.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting, just 5 months in. :blushing:
    You may go to my profile and view the progress in the pics. :smile:

By switching up the order of my workout routine using weights before cardio, I was able to get maximum effect from the lifts and cardio workouts.

I lift with SL 5x5 prog. 2-3 times a week sometimes adding cardio right after. I only do cardio once or twice a week using Zumba or Hip-hop dance. I like to run during cooler months.

Don't know my BF% right now however I've lost about 15-20 lb (gained some back; muscle :bigsmile: ), went from size 12 to 4-6 and have lost many inches from all over.

It was almost 5 weeks before my work and commitment to myself began to really show. :glasses:
    Taking photos and stats every couple months will really show you your progress.

Best of luck finding the routine that works for you!! :flowerforyou:
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Thanks ladies for yer replies , its inspiring to hear yer stories
    also What do ye think is a good calorie deficit to have to shed the last bit of body fat but keep the muscle?
    I'm finding it difficult to find the balance on shedding last bit of fat whole keeping as much muscle as possible
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I do both cardio and strength, because I'm trying to get fit and have back and other problems.

I don't go crazy, just stay at the weights I can do three sets with, then, when it feels like I'm lifting nothing, I move up to the next weight. Strength training has improved my cardio, and cardio improves my strength training.

My fat weight has been stubborn coming off, so my goal is to turn it all into muscle, if that's what I have to do.

I can only dream of getting to the point of losing that last bit of fat, but drop your carbs even more, up your protein a little.
  • MACnificence
    Options
    Thanks for yer replies ladies

Just one more question

What was yer starting weight like , like did u start squatting the Olympic bar or less
    Bench press ? I honestly don't think that ill be able to bench the Olympic bar I've zero upper body strength so what will be a good starting point ..
  • I do 30mins of lifting, then 30 mins cardio :)
  • Quarxs
    Quarxs Posts: 8
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5......... but I want to switch to Starting Strength. Both are good, but starting strength is better.

sorry to jump in on somebody elses thread, but why is Starting Strength better than Stronglifts? They look extremely similar to me (but I know nothing about lifting ...:-))
  • Squirrel1601
    Options
    You can work up to bench press using dumbells or if you have access to preloaded bars, start with something you can manage.
  • jennifer434
    jennifer434 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Sorry to butt in on your topic but you all seem pretty well informed.

I'm looking to start weight training but there is just so much confusing information out there about how much to lift and when. Are there any good programmes that can be done at home? I don't have that much time to go to a gym really. I could probably do twice a week.

Does anyone follow the high protein diets and use protein shakes while doing this form of exercise. From what I understand it seems to help a lot.

TIA for you patience and info.
    Jenni
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for yer replies ladies

Just one more question

What was yer starting weight like , like did u start squatting the Olympic bar or less
    Bench press ? I honestly don't think that ill be able to bench the Olympic bar I've zero upper body strength so what will be a good starting point ..

That will be different fr every person. Some people I know get their *kitten* kicked with JUST the bar. I grew up lifting heavy things so the bar was never a concern. Try it with a spotter and see how it goes- or start benching with DB's. Same with squat- you can try it with a spotter- (or the safety rails on the rack- google how to properly dump a squat weight though) ... or you can try squatting with the smaller barbells- or just dumbbells.
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm new to free weights and I've started with goblet squats with a 20 lb. dumbbell. Google them, they are a great teacher of form and don't require a spotter. Trust me when I say you will feel them in your entire lower body for days afterward. As for upper body, until I work up enough strngth to bench just the Olympic bar, I'm doing pushups (the wussy knee ones, but for now, it's all I can do to get through 3 sets of 10).
  • MissStatement
    MissStatement Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Right now I only have time to go to a gym 2x per week, so I am doing a full body workout both days. After I'm no longer a noob, I will tru an upper/lower split. A good rule of thumb I've heard is to make sure you are working each muscle at least 2x per week - hence the total body. I stick with compound lifts (squat, deadlift, pushup, overhead press, cable rows and lat pulldowns) and don't really bother with any isolation exercises at this point. I need to do better on my macros.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I don't cardio on lift days and if I do its usually hours after I've lifted, but strength training is the focus of my workouts (and by workouts I mean entire fitness based existence)

I started lifting with New Rules for Women and 8 pound dumbbells (seriously), and progressed from there. Start where you can and progress as quickly and safely as you can, while keeping good form.