Would You Say That I'm Skinny-Fat?

Options
I'm just wondering about other people's opinions.
Photo is about 2 weeks old.
New photos by request.

4'10 3/4"
31-24.5/25-32.5/33
97 pounds

Replies

• CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Going by your picture I would suggest you dont need to loose any more weight. You could do with bulking up, maybe start with some light weights and move up from there.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the only sensible definition of skinny-fat, is when it's used to mean "normal weight obesity" Normal weight obesity is where your BMI is in the healthy range, but your body fat percentage is in the obese range (which is 35%+ for women)..... so if you have a normal BMI and a body fat percentage of 35% or more, then you're skinny fat. If not, then you're not. All other uses of the term are basically body shaming on people who don't have visible muscle definition or who are more slender, or who otherwise don't conform to someone else's narrow definition of what bodies should look like.

Normal weight obesity carries all kinds of health risks, including some those of "regular" obesity, combined with those from being underweight (because the lean body mass is underweight) like a higher risk of osteoporosis. If you're at a healthy body fat percentage and you exercise and eat a balanced diet (which includes eating enough to support your body and the exercise you do), then anything beyond that is just about aesthetics. If you want visible muscle definition, then lift weights and aim for a body fat percentage below 20% (for women). If you don't, then lift weights anyway if you want (because it's really good for your health and vitality, especially bone density) and keep your body fat percentage above 22%.
  • SomewhatCool
    Options
    "Applesaucemyass" :laugh:

You're not skinny fat but if you're unsatisfied with your body I'd suggest lifting weights to tone and tighten your body, if that would make you happier.

I'd die to have your current body, personally. :flowerforyou:
  • Sectility
    Options
    I have a problem with the belly flab/excess skin appearance when I'm in the nude. I don't like looking at it, it's gross.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    pretty much everyone has a little belly flab, if you're an "apple" body type it'll be the last place you lose fat from and you have to hit quite low body fat percentages to get rid of it all.

Remember that the pictures you see in magazines are airbrushed, i.e. most of the models will also have fat there or in other stubborn places (some women have stubborn hip/thigh fat instead), they just airbrush it out for pictures. Having fat there does not make you skinny-fat or unhealthy. You look very healthy. Lifting weights and lowering your body fat percentage *may* tighten up your abdominal area... but also bear in mind that no-one is going to look like an airbrushed model, not even the models themselves look like that. So by all means aim for the body that you want... but at the same time know that no-one has a perfect body, otherwise there'd be no work for the people who airbrush pics in magazines.

You're really beautiful and clearly at a healthy weight/body fat percentage, so don't hyper-focus on one small area of stubborn fat... I think heavy lifting is great for women... mostly due to the improvement in self esteem and self acceptance that it often brings, and the fact it makes a lot of women shift from "what my body looks like" to "what my body can do"... a side effect is that you do end up looking better, fitter, stronger, firmer, leaner and all the rest as well.
  • sarwatf
    sarwatf Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Errrr can't see belly flab or excess skin in the photo. You don't look skinny fat to me but aesthetically could perhaps add some lean body mass (but that's a personal opinion and therefore very subjective!)
  • luceegj
    luceegj Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! :)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You probably do come into the "skinny fat" category although from front on, it's quite hard to see if you've got "belly fat" or not so going by what you've said, I'd say yes.

As for advice, what they said. It's the visceral fat that can be a health issue as it nicely surrounds the organs. Focus on physique and don't worry about the scales. You may weigh the same or even more but your BF% will have dropped.

FYI I think TOFI is a better description than "skinny fat": http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/posts/the-men-who-made-us-fat
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    You look like you just need to do some sit-ups and crunches or other core exercises to firm up your stomach.

IMHO if you lost more weight, your legs and arms would look stick-thin and your face gaunt, and to me that's not very attractive (when you're forcing yourself to look like that versus if you are born naturally skinny). If that's how you want to look, then go for it - but like everyone else said, toning is all you need to do to firm up those body parts you don't like, not lose more weight.
  • Sectility
    Options
    You look like you just need to do some sit-ups and crunches or other core exercises to firm up your stomach.

IMHO if you lost more weight, your legs and arms would look stick-thin and your face gaunt, and to me that's not very attractive (when you're forcing yourself to look like that versus if you are born naturally skinny). If that's how you want to look, then go for it - but like everyone else said, toning is all you need to do to firm up those body parts you don't like, not lose more weight.

When I was little, I know that I had a thin-average build, but I had large shoulders.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    New photo.
    5exCo.gif

Seriously. I wouldn't include the word "fat" in any description of you. You're fine. Pick up a good strength training routine even if it's just body weight exercises and you'll clean up your trouble areas in no time. Work on it now while you're still young and in good shape. Get started today!
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    ^^ great advice ^^ nothing else to add here...
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

When I was little, I know that I had a thin-average build, but I had large shoulders.

Well, large shoulders don't make you fat :laugh:

I saw your other picture you posted, and you look absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!! I hope this doesn't sound terrible, but it sounds to me like you have some (potentially extreme) self-esteem issues if you think you're any type of fat. Just looking at your appearance, you don't look fat to be in any sense of the term!

Just like what was said before, do some weights/calisthenics to tone up anywhere you don't like. That's all!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Having seen the new photo (which I suggest you remove*), I agree with the above. You're not fat at all. If you want to "go somewhere" then you could perhaps as everyone is suggesting work on developing strength which will hone a more athletic physique.

* - now that I've downloaded it. ;)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work on your self image.

Most people see themselves in a far more negative light than they need to. Those who don't are much happier.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Having seen the new photo (which I suggest you remove*)

* - now that I've downloaded it. ;)

^ LMFAO
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Your not skinny fat.

If you think you still need to do something, go lift heavy at the gym.

I think the issue may be that we aren't seeing what you are talking about. I suggest posting a picture from the side view and back view, so that we can get an overall idea.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Um, a not a suitable for work would have been nice. You weigh 97 pounds for crying out loud. I would say you could stand to gain a few pounds and lose some body fat, but definitely do not lose anymore weight.

ETA: I gained weight and lost body fat.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    OP, you wrote this in a previous post:

"I've felt the same way. I look and the mirror and feel as if I've lost nothing. I've lost 42 pounds and 23 inches in total off my bust, waist and hips (8 inches off my bust and waist and 7 off my hips). I know the clothes are falling off and I often have to buy new clothes, I just don't see or feel a change. All I see are falling numbers and it disappoints me. Even if I became a stick, I feel as if I still wouldn't be satisfied. I grabbed onto the remaining "meat" I have and after pulling it away, I still look in the mirror and see no difference. It could probably be a disorder, I don't know. All I know is that I don't feel or see (physically) a change in any way."

You are not fat or skinny fat, but you definitely have a self image or self confidence issue. "It could probably be a disorder"......you said it, so consider it & seek help if you need to.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    Had you on my friends list OP... First off it looks like you are not 18 so i wouldnt be posting suggestive photographs on this website! And second i would highly suggest you worry less about being skinny fat and worry a lot more about actually eating, seeing as you have never eaten over 900 calories.

Honey Please PLEASE get some professional help!