Sickness and dizziness with exercise - please help!

Options
Hello all,

I have been having this issue with sickness and dizziness during my exercise, I currently go to Crossfit classes, typically at 9.30am.

I usually eat a yoghurt and a banana before I go and I experience the dizziness almost immediately (for example I did an 800m row and a set of stretches as a warm up) and felt sick afterwards, I pushed on and did some light squat work and then threw up.

I don't think it's my food I always have breakfast, and I've been tested for diabetes so I don't feel it's blood sugar related.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Kat

Replies

• uwdawg07
    uwdawg07 Posts: 372
    Options
    Could you be dehydrated?

How's your blood pressure?

Any heart issues?

Definitely go see a doctor.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Could you be dehydrated?

How's your blood pressure?

Any heart issues?

Definitely go see a doctor.

^ All of this and
    I would ask how much you are eating?
    are you eating back the cals burned from exercise?
    Are you meeting all your micro targets (vitamins and minerals)?

Make sure you are eating enough and eat back at least most of cals burned from exercise and track nutrients to see if you are deficient in some areas.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    My first thought was could be morning sickness? Is that a possibility? Get to the drugstore and buy a test to rule it out!!

edited to add I just re-read your post and you said dizziness as well. That could be something else entirely. Better let a Dr. figure that out. :flowerforyou:
  • Sectility
    Options
    Add a protein shake or take a break from it.

Also, it could happen if you're on any medication.
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm in no possible way an expert but I think it sounds like not enough food to me? Some people don't eat before a work out but I am definitely not one of those people. On days I work out with my trainer I was so so shaky, he suggested some fruit. But I also felt like being sick and felt so ill afterwards it tooks me a few hours to recover properly. I spoke to my nutritionist, again this was her advice for me personally, but she suggested eating an extra carb, like a piece of brown toast or a little extra cereal? Since I started doing that I feel really really good all the way through my workout and even after, and I no longer feel starving after I'm done either. I take an apple with me and eat it right when I get in my car, and that's me good until my next meal. (which is almost always within an hour of working out)
  • jamiemommy
    jamiemommy Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I say good advice is to talk to your own professionals as well:)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be listen to your body. When you start to feel sick don't push on, it will just make you sicker.

Second suggestion would be look at what you are eating and what nutrients you might be deficient in. Maybe it's a lack of sodium, or iron, or copper, or calcium. You look like you are a healthy weight and should be able to do that level of activity without having these issues, so it might be worth seeing a doctor if you can't easily find and correct a nutritional defficiency.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    What I would think is either not enough food or protein in the morning or you might be pushing yourself too hard in your workout.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I have been having this issue with sickness and dizziness during my exercise, I currently go to Crossfit classes, typically at 9.30am.

I usually eat a yoghurt and a banana before I go and I experience the dizziness almost immediately (for example I did an 800m row and a set of stretches as a warm up) and felt sick afterwards, I pushed on and did some light squat work and then threw up.

I don't think it's my food I always have breakfast, and I've been tested for diabetes so I don't feel it's blood sugar related.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Kat

Not really, as I can't see your diary.... sounds suspiciously like not enough fuel in the tank though :indifferent:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i get this too, even if i work out in the afternoon. However I have no idea why it happens
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have problems with getting dizzy and feeling nauseous. I don't usually vomit but that is probably because I stop before I get to that point. My issue is usually related to 3 things, food, a drop in heart rate, or medication. It took a while for me to figure out the right combination of what to eat before a work out and for me it's a snack less than 300 calories with half complex carbs and half protein. Greek yogurt and granola works great.

Second is I have a pretty low resting heart rate so when I do get my HR high up there I have to make sure I don't let it drop suddenly. For example the sled push or squats really gets my heart rate up fast so when I'm done I have to walk around and let my heart rate drop down slowly. If I just stop or sit down when it's that high I will get very dizzy and nauseous.

Third is medication. I have allergies and sinus issues if I take Sudafed or any decongestant and exercise within 24 hours I get really dizzy and nauseous.

Dehydration can also cause it, but I drink like a fish so this isn't usually my issue.

IF it keep happening see a doctor, be safe!
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I would also like to know how much you are eating? If you are not eating enough this could definitely explain these symptoms. However, if you feel you are eating enough then I would definitely go to a doctor. I had similar symptoms last year and had to be forced by my friends to go to a doctor (because I was convinced I was fine!) and the doctor immediately sent me to hospital - turned out I was really sick!
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm in no possible way an expert but I think it sounds like not enough food to me? Some people don't eat before a work out but I am definitely not one of those people. On days I work out with my trainer I was so so shaky, he suggested some fruit. But I also felt like being sick and felt so ill afterwards it tooks me a few hours to recover properly. I spoke to my nutritionist, again this was her advice for me personally, but she suggested eating an extra carb, like a piece of brown toast or a little extra cereal? Since I started doing that I feel really really good all the way through my workout and even after, and I no longer feel starving after I'm done either. I take an apple with me and eat it right when I get in my car, and that's me good until my next meal. (which is almost always within an hour of working out)

You sound similar to me :) Also, try dried fruit instead of fresh (not the sugary kind though). The carbs in fresh fruit burn off really quick but the dried fruit seems to last a little longer.
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Definitely a doctor visit is in order. Could you open your diet? Are you getting in enough calories to fuel your body for a vigorous workout? It looks like you are vegan also are you getting in your micro nutrients/ vitamins etc?
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I used to have that too when I work out in the mornings. Turns out I'm an evening-workout kind of girl.

Can you do an evening session and see if that makes a difference?

I do crossfit too by the way :happy: !
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    This happens to me without fail every time when I do Pure Barre and only Pure Barre. Listen to your body. Take a break. Drink some water. Try eating more before you go. Since it’s not cardio intensive it shouldn’t bother you having more in your stomach and bring a drink with electrolytes. If you do these things and it keeps happening please see a doctor.
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    See your doctor ASAP. Get a baseline EKG. My sister had issues like this and never told anyone about it. Something very bad happened to her and she was fortunate enough to survive it. See a doctor.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Any ideas anyone?

you used to be on my friends on a previous profile and i remember you were juicing and the calories you were taking in were definitely not enough throughout the day. Either that or they were really unbalanced and you consumed more at dinner time than in the whole day. I suggest looking realistically at how many calories your basal metabolic rate says you need and then eat back what you burn.

Thanks,

Kat
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Any ideas anyone?

you used to be on my friends on a previous profile and i remember you were juicing and the calories you were taking in were definitely not enough throughout the day. Either that or they were really unbalanced and you consumed more at dinner time than in the whole day. I suggest looking realistically at how many calories your basal metabolic rate says you need and then eat back what you burn.

Thanks,

Kat

stupid phone, my reply wasn't supposed to be in there like that :/
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    You might have very low blood pressure - when your heart rate goes up, if you typically have low BP your body doesn't know what to do with all the extra oxygen! Or it could be any number of other things, so go to a Dr as others have suggested.

I'd also check what yoghurt you're having - I tried those Activia yoghurts and they made me feel really sick and weird. If there's some 2active" ingredient which doesn't agree with you that might be an issue.