Breast feeding

Options
pureclm
pureclm Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Is there a way to calculate in breast feeding on this site? I am pumping and read that it is about 20 calories per ounce burned. Does anyone have any information on this?

Replies

• bluestarlight19
    bluestarlight19 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi, You can log it food in the data base. That is what I used to do. It subtracts the calories but also your macros so you know better how much more protein and fat you should be eating to maintain supply.
  • nicola1141
    nicola1141 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    There's a couple of ways people do it. As the PP mentioned, you can log it in the food database. You can create a new exercise for it. Or you can just include it in your every day daily goal (so set your calories 350-500 calories higher).
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I didn't like how it logged it as a food.
    I logged mine as exercise.
    Now I pumped so I was getting 600 calories a day, but 500 a day is about right for a baby that isn't on solids yet.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to calculate in breast feeding on this site? I am pumping and read that it is about 20 calories per ounce burned. Does anyone have any information on this?

I would just set your calorie requirement a bit higher rather than trying to work out how many you have burned feeding.
  • raisingtheroofs
    raisingtheroofs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log mine as food under snacks, and it automatically gives me 500 extra calories.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I logged mine as exercise everyday. As I got smaller it adjusted the calories lower. I figured over time that would be fairly accurate. So 1 minute of baby = 500 calories at first then as I lost weight it gave me less calories. For me it usually coincided with my babies reduction in eating so it worked out well.
  • Sewpunk
    Sewpunk Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I log breastfeeding as 500 calories burned in my exercise diary. I set my daily calorie goals for my current weight, activity level and for the amount i want to lose each week (1 lb).

I based the 500 cals burned on the 20 cals per oz that breastmilk contains. I know I am a little over 25 oz in supply a day. (based on pumping and whatnot)

This has been working out very well for me, i lose a pound or more each week. When I wean i will reduce the number of calories burned.
  • debra6590
    debra6590 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I am a bf mother of a toddler and I have just added a twenty minute walk which is creating a exercise that I have not done! Fairly pleased to be getting two hundred extra calories perday though lol
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    its more when they start biting
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I don't log my bfing. I used to but I found that it caused me to overeat and maintain. Now I just set my caloric goal to 2000 calories a day. I log exercise but not bfing.
This discussion has been closed.