C25K

Options
I have a hard time sticking to any sort of exercise plan or routine but i think i am going to give the C25K app a try. I know i'm a little behind on the times with this as its been around for a while and some people have probably completed it already. Has any one had success with this? Does it help you lose weight and actually be able to run a 5k?

Replies

• Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I use an app called Rundouble. It allows you to choose whether to run a certain distance or a certain amount of time. It will tell you to start your warm up, and after 5 mins it tells you to start running. It will alert you when you are halfway done and at the end it will tell you to slow to a cool down pace for another 5 mins. I use it everyday and love it. It has a gps tracker and you can hook up to a heart rate monitor with bluetooth.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i tried it a few months ago but didnt stick with it---I'd love to be able to do it.....maybe we can motivate each other to do it and stick with it
  • shirley_beans
    shirley_beans Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to its weight loss benefits because I wasn't very good about logging while I did the program, but it absolutely turns non runners into runners! I remember struggling to run a mile back in gym class, but after the C25K I can comfortably run a 5k and have since run 3 organized races :) I also noticed changes in my body...my legs are much more toned and muscular. It will seriously make you love running. Just have a plan for when you finish so you don't plateau or stop running.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the input. I will take any motivation and support that i can use because i have tried it once before and didnt stick with it. Also i will work on a plan for sticking with running when i complete the program. I have a super nice treadmill about with my tax return last year so i can maintain a running program year round.
  • Michelle_dirtracer
    Options
    I hate the treadmill. If you only run on that and then go to the road, it will be very hard to go the same distance. It is a good start but I wouldn't use the treadmill forever.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have lost 48 lbs in 6 months and started out walking in February...moved to the C25k RunDouble app in April....finished it and I am up to between 3 and 6 miles (some days I do longer 6 mi runs and some lazy days just do 3.1 depends on my mood and time availability). I ran my first 5k August 8th. Most notably I worked up to the 3.1 miles and then continued to 4, then to 5, and now can do 6. I love the program and wouldn't have been able to run and lose the weight without it...but that is me because I started out running and I was heavy and needed those walk breaks to build up my stamina and confidence :)

**for the record I run outside and only use the treadmill if i have no other option
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    It's great! I know lots of people who have been successful with it.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself, but I'm on week 6 and I've definitely lost inches! :) The program is great - it really builds you up in a way that makes you succeed. You look ahead going "holy crap, that looks terrifying" but each time you do it you're like "wow, I am actually doing it!". And this is coming from a NON runner. Never liked it, poor knees, every excuse in the book - on week 6 :) You can totally do it! There are even C25k groups on here, come join us!!
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself, but I'm on week 6 and I've definitely lost inches! :) The program is great - it really builds you up in a way that makes you succeed. You look ahead going "holy crap, that looks terrifying" but each time you do it you're like "wow, I am actually doing it!". And this is coming from a NON runner. Never liked it, poor knees, every excuse in the book - on week 6 :) You can totally do it! There are even C25k groups on here, come join us!!

^^^^ THIS!!!!! great post and I totally agree :)
  • hnoelle85
    Options
    I really only use my treadmill when the weather doesnt allow for running outside which happens a lot in north west pa.
  • hnoelle85
    Options
    Thank you pinkstp! Thats very helpful advice and i will look into joining one of the groups.
  • sdionnemoore
    sdionnemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am finishing my last day of C25K tomorrow--the 5K. Though I never thought I would be able to run, (jog. . .whatever) the program is well thought out to help you gain both confidence and strength every week. I took up C25K when my weight loss plateaued after doing a mix of the same exercises for about 6 months (HIIT, Step). Between days of running, I would power walk. It has molded my quads into long, lean muscle--a definite plus! Too, it gives you a mental strength--teaching you to overcome "I can't do this" moments and really push yourself.
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just started on Sunday. Today was my second time out with the RunDouble app. that was mentioned. I was trying to jog/walk on my own for a couple of months, but after using the c25k program/app, I realize that I wasn't pushing myself enough. I'm excited to keep it up. I really want to be a runner. I love how I feel like I've done something when I'm done. I find myself often saying, "I'm a mom" but I really want to be able to say, "I'm a mom and a runner". (though I absolutely love being a mom, of course!).
    Feel free to friend me if you want to be c25k buddies :)
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    http://paradepassesby.blogspot.com/2010/05/my-couch-to-5k-review.html

BEST review I've found yet... I plan on starting week 2 on Thursday for the first time, I'm going to start week 2
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    About to do C25K Wk1D3 today. Happy to find this forum! Let's move forward together!

:flowerforyou:
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Definitely look at the Rundouble APP. I'm not a runner. No, let's be 100% correct. I HATE running! But I need something low cost, flexible to my time of day, and with motivation. This app seems to give me all that.

I'm only in Wk1 D3 (will be today as soon as it stops raining). And I'm not dreading it yet.

Pick an upbeat playlist to play in the background. That really helps. Don't be afraid to repeat a day if it seems like too much.
    Improvement is the key!

Good luck and enjoy!
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Oh yea and I use the Get running app, very simple and easy to follow, I use Nike+ to track my distance and average pace at the same time. Both allow for music to be played in the background.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My daughter is using this app. right now. She swears by it. I just don't see it able to work for me. I could never deal with all the start and stop training. I tend to be more of a kind of person who just runs. I have been involved in sports all my life. To me running comes natural no matter how fat I get. So good luck.. it helped my daughter.
  • jlc041979
    jlc041979 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just started this morning. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I really hope I can keep it up.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K (Zen Labs) app and am now on Week 11 of the C210K app. I started C25K at 196 ish pounds and am now at 171. Running is not the only thing that I do for exercise, but I have seen good progress in my weight and fitness levels since beginning. The app is accessible, and you can totally do it. I am amazed that 11 weeks ago I could barely run for a minute and now I am running 12-14 miles per week (and increasing).