Too Much Fiber and Constipation

Options
My doctor told me to increase my fiber intake to between 25 and 35 grams per day. I have done that. It has made it much harder to go to the bathroom. I was regular and now I'm not. I drink between 3 and 5 liters of water per day, so that is not the problem. It has also been messing with my weight loss. I have been losing 2 - 2 1/2 pounds per week. This week so far I have gained 4 pounds. I have also started walking more. I have gone from an average 2500 steps per day to approximately 7500 steps per day and started doing sit-ups. I have also started taking MiraLAX for the past 3 days with little help.

Any comments, suggestions or help would be helpful. Thank you.

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    When i change something i can guarantee that my weight increases, but temporarily, so as long as you're still creating a calorie deficit, put that out of your mind, it's erm probably just a little backed up in there.

How are you eating your extra fiber? If it's cererals, they can often have added iron, which is a major cause of constipation. Try fibrous veggies such as sweet potato or fruits in their skin such as apples.

Good luck, hope something shifts in the right directon soon :)
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is likely due to this "problem" and not much else.

I would think if you've jumped from a lower amount of fibre to a higher amount quickly, it would have this effect. Wait for the MiraLAX to take effect and then go to your original number, gradually increasing it.
  • diddles19
    diddles19 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That does seem a bit high. Mine is 15 although I do go a bit over.

I have IBS-C and suffered quite badly. I then read on-line about flaxseed. Apparently although the seeds are good for you they don't breakdown so it was suggested ground or cold milled flaxseed. I have been taking two tablespoons every morning and it works (It did take a couple of days to start with). All I do now is have a high fibre museli and the flax seed with Almond milk for my breakfast and that is my 15 used up. Throughout the day any fruit or veg that has fibre is a bonus.

Hope this helps
  • mi_lady
    mi_lady Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I would call your Dr's office. I consume between 35-50g of fiber every day and if anything it has made me more regular and improved my weight loss. I do agree with the suggestion to increase gradually.
  • henriettevanittersum
    henriettevanittersum Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    He should have told you to increase it gradually! Doing it all at once will totally clog you up... My total intake is usually between 23-33/day with lots of water. i have never been this regular! Only downside is it causes bloating.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, if I eat lots of fibre I have lots of intestinal issues too. I get all the fibre I need from moderate amounts of vegetables-mostly salad vegetables. The benefits of fibre have been exaggerated and fibre was NEVER proven to reduce cancer (of any kind). Yes, that dead horse has been flogged and flogged in the media but the information that disproved it was not announced in the media. There is a reason for that.

Eating a higher healthy fat diet does help digestion. However, I would not personally recommend milled flax (omega 3 yes, but the best kind is from fish, or fat from grass fed animals). Fats from animals, eggs, coconut oil, avocados, butter/ghee, and small servings of nuts are beneficial.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    My son was on Miralax for many years for constipation issues. I found it takes 2 to 3 days (sometimes 4) to "kick in." Be careful with it! Before I had it figured out, I would increase and increase the dose over days, and then WHAMMY! The poor kid was (literally) stuck in the bathroom with a river of poop. Not fun.