Ideas on eating healthier for the on-the-go type

Options
brandyme
brandyme Posts: 400 Member
Ok, so I am usually on the go. I get up early for work and since I'm not a morning person I do not have time to make breakfast. On lunch I head home and do a 25 minute workout, shower and go back to work. After work I do my second workout and then it's time for dinner.

Because of my tight schedule I grab granola bars for breakfast and lunch is typically Jimmy Johns since I eat before my workout to save time.

What are some good ideas for healthier options that I can incorporate in a small amount of time? I have time after work to cook dinner but I would prefer to not have to prep too much food for the next day. So, what would be good go-to snacks or fast breakfast/lunch foods that I could try to incorporate?

Replies

• sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I carry a cooler with me to work. I keep a few snacks in it, a protein shake, and my lunch. I usually cook extra when I'm making dinner and have leftovers for lunch the next few days.

When I used to work out at lunch time, I used to heat up my lunch and eat it quickly at my desk before I left.

I take the cooler with me if I head out of the office for a meeting.

There are a few jokes about my organ donor cooler, or the case of beer I have in there (its really only big enough for an 18 pack), but packing the cooler is part of my morning ritual.
  • i_am_asparagus
    i_am_asparagus Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have overnight proats (protein oats) for breakfast. Every evening I measure oats, natural yogurt and almond milk in a container, leave it in the fridge overnight, and add flavoured protein powder and other toppings (such as grated apple & cinnamon, strawberries & desiccated coconut or banana & peanut butter) in the morning. Very little prep and you can always make a few to keep in the fridge so that you don't need to prep them every night.

For snacks I always pack one or two of these to go:
    - grapes and cheese
    - almonds and dried fruit/dark chocolate
    - home made oat and raisin protein biscuits
    - hummus and carrot/cucumber/celery/bread sticks
    - cottage cheese and fruit/berries
    - protein shake

I cook my lunches and dinners in batches and divide them into portions so that they are ready to go when I want them. As long as I plan ahead, I'm good!

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • brandyme
    Options
    I have overnight proats (protein oats) for breakfast. Every evening I measure oats, natural yogurt and almond milk in a container, leave it in the fridge overnight, and add flavoured protein powder and other toppings (such as grated apple & cinnamon, strawberries & desiccated coconut or banana & peanut butter) in the morning. Very little prep and you can always make a few to keep in the fridge so that you don't need to prep them every night.

For snacks I always pack one or two of these to go:
    - grapes and cheese
    - almonds and dried fruit/dark chocolate
    - home made oat and raisin protein biscuits
    - hummus and carrot/cucumber/celery/bread sticks
    - cottage cheese and fruit/berries
    - protein shake

I cook my lunches and dinners in batches and divide them into portions so that they are ready to go when I want them. As long as I plan ahead, I'm good!

Hope this helps! :smile:

This helps a bunch. Great ideas. Thanks!
  • Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am lucky that I have a big fridge at work that I store all my stuff in. I workout in the morning and then head to work and have a protein shake with a banana in it. I keep my magic bullet blender at work. I like to pack hard boiled eggs. They are easy to incorporate into a meal. Sometimes I put it in my salad or mash it up and stuff it into a pita pocket. I also bring yogurt, granola, fruit for snacks.

Do you have a fridge at work you can use?? My co worker brings a cooler bag full of goodies, like the previous post does.

Good luck! It is hard when you are on the go and it does require a bit of prep time, that is for sure.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    In another post I mentioned kath eats bars that my wife makes for me for breakfast. One batch makes 9 bars for me. I also bought a vacuum sealer so they actually last for nine days. Also my wife makes me chix salad using grocery store rotisserie chix which is super easy and lasts for a week no prob. 2 breasts is usually enough for 3 days for me but may be the whole week for others. Then just bread or bagel maybe some craisins and greens on top if I'm feelin frisky... Means out of 10 meals in a work week 5 breakfasts and 3 lunches are dealt with.
  • brandyme
    Options
    I am lucky that I have a big fridge at work that I store all my stuff in. I workout in the morning and then head to work and have a protein shake with a banana in it. I keep my magic bullet blender at work. I like to pack hard boiled eggs. They are easy to incorporate into a meal. Sometimes I put it in my salad or mash it up and stuff it into a pita pocket. I also bring yogurt, granola, fruit for snacks.

Do you have a fridge at work you can use?? My co worker brings a cooler bag full of goodies, like the previous post does.

Good luck! It is hard when you are on the go and it does require a bit of prep time, that is for sure.

Good ideas as well. I do have a fridge at work that I can use. :)

For lunch today, after my workout, I quickly grabbed leftover chicken a full bag of grapes and some low fat cheese brought it to work made up a quick lunch and at it at my desk. Worked out great! Much better for me than Jimmy Johns.