Getting Back on the Wagon

Options
So I was doing great, and then I hit a wall of a series of fun but not diet/excercise friendly events. I feel like what little progress I made during my first 2-3 weeks of being good was wrecked by 11 days of being bad. I'm trying to get back into things, but I am finding that my confidence and determination has waned. I don't want to exercise as much anymore, and am sad as I was just starting to look forward to it.

I think what kept me going last time was my optimism, but now I just feel like I'm back in my regular old routine of yo-yoing.

Any words of advice?

Replies

• TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have struggled w this too. I keep starting over again and again. Just keep trying. Maybe look at old pictures of yourself, I watched Biggest Loser the other night because I knew that would be motivation for me. Good Luck!
  • nlibera
    Options
    It can definitely be tough... even after 1 day, it can seem to set you back by 1 week. I was really good for the month of May, but after a week of vacation and gaining a few pounds, I wound up falling into old habits and didn't lose any weight for another 1.5 months. Motivation came back, and it's fluctuated from days where it's all I can think about or days that I dread getting some exercise in...

I wound up writing on a mirror I use daily in erasable marker "COMMIT. ACHEIVE. EXPERIENCE." Which sounds _super_ nerdy, but here's my explanation:

1. Commit. Even though motivation is a great force, in the end it's going to come and go. The most important thing is to stay committed. Even when it's tough, it's just like going to work... you gotta do it.

2. Achieve. Setting goals, even tiny, daily ones of "I'm going to try not to have any snacks today" or "I'm going to drink only water for the next few days, no diet sodas even!" it helps keep you feeling good when you achieve them, and get into better habits to achieve bigger goals.

3. Experience. This applies to everything, because I can't think of anything better than experience. In both fun activities or hanging out with friends or experiencing buying clothes that's smaller than ever before... that feeling is great, but that memory will stick around longer the better the experience is. So staying committed and achieving the biggest goals in the end will have the most satisfying experience.

YAY! :)
  • Oceanmama
    Oceanmama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I've been there FAR TOO MANY times to count over the past years, and have felt exactly the way that you feel now. And on each occasion, I have given up... It's so easy to give up and so hard to get back on the wagon once your will has waned. Knowing this, here is my pep talk to you - and to myself if/when this happens to me again, as I truly feel that I have finally made some realistic long-term changes in my life, as I thought I had in the past but never really wholeheartedly did as I was always looking for short-cuts. DON'T GIVE UP!!! KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BIG PICTURE!!! Don't waste the time and energy beating yourself up for losing progress - NOTHING good can come of that, physically or mentally. Instead, tell yourself that it's alright that you gave in this time around - and get over it as quick as you can. Remind yourself how lucky you are to you live such a FULL life and to be such a privileged person to be invited to and attend such fun events. And remind yourself that you can't expect yourself never to be in that situation again, or never to enjoy those types of events again. But now that those events are over, it's time to get back in the game and keep on going! At the same time, come up with a plan for yourself for the next time you attend such events - what you could have done better. Be realistic - don't allow yourself to give in to all of the vices offered, but allow yourself to enjoy some of it. It will keep you on track for the long run, and won't make you feel so defeated the next day. THINK POSITIVE, NOT NEGETIVE, and you will get back on track and stay on track!!!

2205646.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    dust yourself off and start back up again.
  • liss125
    Options
    I am in a slump right now too. In August, when I first started, the first few pounds came off very easily. It was enough to keep me motivated for awhile. Then, when I got home from the eye doctor the other day (got some new awesome glasses and I was feeling pretty good) I glazed over and just raided the fridge. I have no idea why. So for about a week now, I have been in damage control mode. I haven't exercised very much. Just trying to not overeat. Sometimes that's what I have to do. If I get overwhelmed with the a diet/exercise routine, I take it down a notch for a week or two. Maybe you should take a break from exercise. Only do a little. Just try to stay on track with eating healthy for now-you wouldn't want to totally derail your efforts. You may get your groove back after a few days.