Having a cheat day every 2-3 weeks

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Instead of having a cheat day every 2-3 weeks why not have a cheat meal (Starter/Main/Dessert/Drink) every 7 days?

If I had a cheat day I could easily go over 20k calories compared to a cheat meal I rarely hit 2k

Instead of having a cheat meal every 7 days why not eat stuff you love every day and call it IIFYM and be happy while still losing weight?

Because..

A: Crap food is more calorie dense
    B: You're more then likely to binge after due to crap food not filling you up
    C: Nutritional values in processed crap junk food are of hardly any benefit to you.
    Please stop.

To the OP. A refeed and a cheat meal are not the same. Refeed are targeted over feeding for a slight physical and mental boost. Cheat days, meals, etc are used by those who deny themselves of certain foods.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    So I guess I used the wrong words when I asked my question. I am pretty happy with the way I'm eating now. My loss is slow an steady . What I was wondering was, if you have a day every 2 to 3 weeks that you eat more calories than your baseline to loose, do you think this might decrease the amount of loose skin that stays behind after a quick and large weight loss? The whole eating more to loose and resetting your metabolism.

Loose skin is mostly based on total amount lost and genetics. If your loss is slow and steady, refeeds will help for psychology and/or hormonal reasons but won't much affect loose skin. Loose skin will take longer to readsorb (perhaps even a year or two after going to maintenance) or if the loss is large and long require surgery - if you are concerned about loose skin then exercising, keeping active, eating a nutrional variety are all good things.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Instead of having a cheat day every 2-3 weeks why not have a cheat meal (Starter/Main/Dessert/Drink) every 7 days?

If I had a cheat day I could easily go over 20k calories compared to a cheat meal I rarely hit 2k

Instead of having a cheat meal every 7 days why not eat stuff you love every day and call it IIFYM and be happy while still losing weight?

Because..

C: Nutritional values in processed crap junk food are of hardly any benefit to you.

A. Even non crap food food can be high in calories.

B. Depriving yourself of things the way you say is more likely to lead to a binge than practicing moderation. No one is telling you to have pizza and ice cream all day. It's about learning to have a balance in life. Allowing yourself the room to have foods that you might consider "crap" eliminates the psychological torture so many people put themselves through which leads to failure.

C. I'm sure the crap food you speak of combined with the "good" foods lead to a well balanced day.

Maybe your issue isn't that you can't rind a balance. Maybe it's that you don't know how to practice self control.

A: Maybe but it's not that many tbh and you can eat far more filling meals with a good range of foods compared to one crap food which will still leave you hungry due to what's in it.

B: Depriving yourself teaches you self control it also breeds new habits and breaks old ones that have kept you fat in the past. The bs excuse people use to eat whatever they want as nothing to do with torture they just don't have no self control and clearly do not want to change the bad habits which have made em fat in the first place. (I've been there and done it)

C: It depends on what you class as bad foods though and it also needs to fit into you goals. But tell me why would anyone go have some chocolate after a nice clean deal just to get hit by a big sugar rush that then leads to hunger pans again as they come crashing down from the insulin spike?

As for me not finding right balance I've found it perfect and I hardly ever eat crap now and that's because I've broke the psychological barrier associated with eating crap. It's not that I don't want it either it's just that I'm far more happier eating a big plate of chicken and broccoli with a pepsi max rather than going Mcdonalds and eating a burger with fries and a coke. it's also cheaper. In fact my food bills have halved pretty much. No more spending £10-20 a day at the shop buying junk or take aways.

As for self control I have plenty of that and that's down to breaking those psychological barriers associated with junk food. I went in cold turkey on a very strict keto diet to break the habits and one of the reasons I choose the strict keto diet is because I knew for a fact it stops cravings within a few days I actually lost 21lb in a month on it, broke every bad habit I had and 4 months on I'm down 65lbs.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Because..

Please stop.

To the OP. A refeed and a cheat meal are not the same. Refeed are targeted over feeding for a slight physical and mental boost. Cheat days, meals, etc are used by those who deny themselves of certain foods.

The problem with the "cheat" and "refeed" is they may mean different things to different people.
    These terms are often used when carb loading after a time period of low carbs

Sometimes "cheat" just means eating whatever you want for one meal (or one day, etc).

Manipulating your carbs may help if you find your fat loss is slowing/stalling.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    cheat and refeed shouldn't mean different to people though..

a refeed and a cheat day are not a like
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight so what I do is I cheat on days I can't really control what I'm gonna have like a family get toghether, party etc. When I went on vacation I ate whatever I wanted the entire week and yes I gained a few pounds but now I have the tools to get them back off. I think instead of a whole cheat day it's better to have a cheat meal or desert trying not to go too far over your calories because you will gain some most likely. I eat sweets whenever I want them I just manage them into my calories so that I don't have to have cheat days often.

You have to do what works for you. I don't think cheat days will help you with your lose skin :{. You can however lift weights, starting out with however much you can lift and this should help you some.

Hope this helps
  • JaxDemon
    Options

Because..

A. Even non crap food food can be high in calories.

B. Depriving yourself of things the way you say is more likely to lead to a binge than practicing moderation. No one is telling you to have pizza and ice cream all day. It's about learning to have a balance in life. Allowing yourself the room to have foods that you might consider "crap" eliminates the psychological torture so many people put themselves through which leads to failure.

C. I'm sure the crap food you speak of combined with the "good" foods lead to a well balanced day.

Maybe your issue isn't that you can't rind a balance. Maybe it's that you don't know how to practice self control.

A: Maybe but it's not that many tbh and you can eat far more filling meals with a good range of foods compared to one crap food which will still leave you hungry due to what's in it.

B: Depriving yourself teaches you self control it also breeds new habits and breaks old ones that have kept you fat in the past. The bs excuse people use to eat whatever they want as nothing to do with torture they just don't have no self control and clearly do not want to change the bad habits which have made em fat in the first place. (I've been there and done it)

C: It depends on what you class as bad foods though and it also needs to fit into you goals. But tell me why would anyone go have some chocolate after a nice clean deal just to get hit by a big sugar rush that then leads to hunger pans again as they come crashing down from the insulin spike?

As for me not finding right balance I've found it perfect and I hardly ever eat crap now and that's because I've broke the psychological barrier associated with eating crap. It's not that I don't want it either it's just that I'm far more happier eating a big plate of chicken and broccoli with a pepsi max rather than going Mcdonalds and eating a burger with fries and a coke. it's also cheaper. In fact my food bills have halved pretty much. No more spending £10-20 a day at the shop buying junk or take aways.

As for self control I have plenty of that and that's down to breaking those psychological barriers associated with junk food. I went in cold turkey on a very strict keto diet to break the habits and one of the reasons I choose the strict keto diet is because I knew for a fact it stops cravings within a few days I actually lost 21lb in a month on it, broke every bad habit I had and 4 months on I'm down 65lbs.

A. You are not understanding that I'm not saying have "crap" meals all the time. If a bro diet is what works for you by all means go ahead and do it. Doesn't affect me. I'm content with my pizza.

B. Deprivation actually teaches the exact opposite off teaching self control. It's extremism. Many do that and put the weight right back on because they never teach themselves food selection, moderation. Then life happens.

So you're saying you will do keto for the rest of your life? What's your plan for re incorporating carbs into your life if and when you choose to?
    This guy can explain it much better than I will bother to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6H2edyPLU8     Lane Norton IIFYM vs Clean eating

Maybe it's the way you put it across as in it sounded to me like 'Eat crap all the time it don't matter'

I don't agree with B at all because I've been there and done it many times and I failed because I had no self control, I want a quick fix, I could not be arsed to read up on info, I wanted to be spoon fed and told what to do. I was a thinker not a doer.

No one says these people have to deprive themselves of anything, they just have to work to a reward. They have to get self control and they have to go out and do it. I don't care what anyone says I've been fat I know the bull**** excuses I've used them loads of times in the past.

I still maintain it's a complete lifestyle change and breaking bad habits will be the main cause of anyone's success on here.

I'm not on Keto anymore. I added carbs back a few weeks ago. I just added them back slowly. If I want to go out and eat Pizza I will but I really don't crave that kind of food anymore because I've changed my habits for the better. Enjoy your pizza :smile:
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    How can I not have self control if I have overhauled my lifestyle fully lol. That don't make sense. I have self control I just make better INFORMED choices on what types of food I eat.

Cheat meal pretty much means rewarding yourself so yes you are rewarding yourself like a dog if you look at it like that lol.

As for B it could work for me but I wanted to change my habits from grazing on stuff in the cupboards and quick easy foods (Mainly junk) to actually eating decent foods that will nourish me and my body.

Tell me how much weight you have lost with your method?
  • sjsosu
    sjsosu Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I look at things over a longer period of time than daily. Am I at my calorie goal for the week is a more relevant question than for a particular 24 hour period. The only short term consideration is that I make sure I eat enough prior to work outs.
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    How can I not have self control if I have overhauled my lifestyle fully lol. That don't make sense. I have self control I just make better INFORMED choices on what types of food I eat.

Cheat meal pretty much means rewarding yourself so yes you are rewarding yourself like a dog if you look at it like that lol.

As for B it could work for me but I wanted to change my habits from grazing on stuff in the cupboards and quick easy foods (Mainly junk) to actually eating decent foods that will nourish me and my body.

I've lost 73 lbs. I'm 5'7 144 lbs and hovering around 10% bf. It might even be a smidgen lower, who knows.

Now your turn.

Currently lost 65lb in 3 months and 29 days. Currently 229lb. No idea on bodyfat (Need to get checked in that bodpod) but fat is very low on legs/thighs, arms,chest. Seem to be holding it around the belly/love handles.

Was on DP keto for just over 2 months then started using this site to count calories. Count everything now.

Won't be long till I'm around 10-12% then will maybe go on a bulk just depends on how I feel.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    JaxDemon, do you have any fullbody topless photos or anything? (Not asking out of being a d1ck, just asking as I can tell you if it "won't be long" until 10-12% bf :D - It isn't exactly HARD to get there, but its harder than you are assuming it to be.
  • JaxDemon
    Options

I've lost 73 lbs. I'm 5'7 144 lbs and hovering around 10% bf. It might even be a smidgen lower, who knows.

Now your turn.

Currently lost 65lb in 3 months and 29 days. Currently 229lb. No idea on bodyfat (Need to get checked in that bodpod) but fat is very low on legs/thighs, arms,chest. Seem to be holding it around the belly/love handles.

Was on DP keto for just over 2 months then started using this site to count calories. Count everything now.

Won't be long till I'm around 10-12% then will maybe go on a bulk just depends on how I feel.

We are in no way the same.

If you're 229 now you've got a good amount left to lose, depending on your height. Believing that the remaining 40-60 lbs or whatever you have left will come of in 2-3 months is unrealistic.

If I lose another 60lb there will be nothing left of me mate. 40 is a bit too much as well. 30lb loss and I should be where I want to be.
  • JaxDemon
    Options
    JaxDemon, do you have any fullbody topless photos or anything? (Not asking out of being a d1ck, just asking as I can tell you if it "won't be long" until 10-12% bf :D - It isn't exactly HARD to get there, but its harder than you are assuming it to be.

I have a few I took on my phone to track progress, None recent as I'm not due till Wednesday to take some. My current measurements that I took on 19th are below as you can see my belly needs to lose 6 inches.

Next to no fat on my arms/legs/thighs. Rough guess at 2-5lb on chest if that. All my fat is 90% around my midsection.

It can be done, I've seen it be done have faith.

b8ffac144907f6b9ac7762b23174b063.png
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    the proper new age, participation trophy generational, don't hurt my feelings, term is "refeed".
    Cheat day/meal vs. Refeed

Cheat day/meal: Eating whatever you want (usually within reason, but not necessarily) for a meal or day. Used as a "mental break" from dieting.

Refeed: Structured over eating, very high carb (but low fructose, mainly complex carbs are eaten), high to moderate protein, low fat (<50g). Used to spike leptin levels that can become low from extended periods of dieting.