Lifting help

Options
2»

Replies

• 0OneTwo3
    0OneTwo3 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    lifting with a strength focus (5reps or less) will lead to something called myofibrillated hypertrophy. that is an increase in muscle density by increase in the amount of muscle fibers (thats simplifying it though). in my opinion this is the fastest way to "harden" up your body. it will also lead to far less mass-growth than a bodybuilding program (8-12rep range). good strength-focus programs are "starting strength" and "stronglifts 5x5"

if you don't like lifting that heavy (or you can't due to a back injuries etc.) you can also achieve a lean and dense look through endurance training (preferably something that engages the whole body like swimming). just look at long distance runners. this will arguably take longer than strength training though.
  • msgabismit
    msgabismit Posts: 195
    Options
    lifting with a strength focus (5reps or less) will lead to something called myofibrillated hypertrophy. that is an increase in muscle density by increase in the amount of muscle fibers (thats simplifying it though). in my opinion this is the fastest way to "harden" up your body. it will also lead to far less mass-growth than a bodybuilding program (8-12rep range). good strength-focus programs are "starting strength" and "stronglifts 5x5"

if you don't like lifting that heavy (or you can't due to a back injuries etc.) you can also achieve a lean and dense look through endurance training (preferably something that engages the whole body like swimming). just look at long distance runners. this will arguably take longer than strength training though.

I will keep this in mind as well!!
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    I can't afford an ongoing monthly gym membership so I am doing programs from beachbody.com....right now i'm working on Chalean Extreme Deluxe program.....has a burn month, push month and lean month.....lower reps but heavier weights.....i'm loving it....she is very motivating..... the DVD set also included a bonus DVD of three of her Turbofire workouts....and HIIT session, an Abs and a Stretch....so that is nice to mix things up a bit.....
  • JamieH1984
    JamieH1984 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • msgabismit
    Options
    I can't afford an ongoing monthly gym membership so I am doing programs from beachbody.com....right now i'm working on Chalean Extreme Deluxe program.....has a burn month, push month and lean month.....lower reps but heavier weights.....i'm loving it....she is very motivating..... the DVD set also included a bonus DVD of three of her Turbofire workouts....and HIIT session, an Abs and a Stretch....so that is nice to mix things up a bit.....

I love beachbody videos. I did Insanity for a while.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Do heavy weight at low reps, using mainly compound lifts. It is the best way to lose inches and gain strength. You won't bulk especially if you are in a calorie deficit.

^ This is working very well for me!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Toning is more of a function of diet than anything. Typically the best results for body composition and strength are found by lifting heavier weights. Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 is a good start. If you have a knowledgeable friend or trainer that can actually train or guide you, I would honestly start with something like 5/3/1.
  • msgabismit
    Options
    Toning is more of a function of diet than anything. Typically the best results for body composition and strength are found by lifting heavier weights. Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 is a good start. If you have a knowledgeable friend or trainer that can actually train or guide you, I would honestly start with something like 5/3/1.

Looking that up right now thank you!!!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    you can visit www.jefit.com and find a program there :) pick your fancy that works with how your week is structured.. sets and reps and rest periods are all included :)