Tennis for weight loss?

I've been looking for years for an exercise I could have fun with and actually want to do regularly. I couldn't stick with running, walking, biking, etc. I have finally found the sport for me - tennis! Has anyone had any success using tennis for weight loss?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Calorie deficit (eating 500-1000 less per day than your body burns) is what will give you success in losing weight. The particular activity you do will help get to that deficit, add some conditioning to your body, and hopefully some fun to your life. But tennis (or swimming, or running, or lifting, or biking, etc) isn't what causes weight loss. It's always the calorie deficit.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    tennis = fun & fitness

caloric deficit / portion control / discipline = weight loss
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Calorie deficit (eating 500-1000 less per day than your body burns) is what will give you success in losing weight. The particular activity you do will help get to that deficit, add some conditioning to your body, and hopefully some fun to your life. But tennis (or swimming, or running, or lifting, or biking, etc) isn't what causes weight loss. It's always the calorie deficit.

Well said
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    yep, I play and LOVE IT!
  • Yes!! Tennis is an incredible way to burn calories
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    I used to play and it can be very sociable, club, competitions etc. Go for it. A bonus; get a bike and cycle to and from the club/venue. N.
  • jbatton1024
    jbatton1024 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks everybody!
  • sapphire11507
    sapphire11507 Posts: 1 Member
    I was at my best weight ever when I played 3 or 4 times a week (and used the elliptical for 30 min. every other day) - minus Sundays. This was all before having a family though so no way I can devote that much time again. I'm slowly getting back to it though. I joined a league (that plays once a week) and going to take lessons again once a week.