Really?

Options
Just a quick Vent...
Sometimes I amaze myself.I do awesome. I lose 2 or 3 pounts up to 5 to 10 pounds then I back slide and gain it back
Today I looked on the scale and I was all excited. My pants felt better. And what do I do ...I get to work and I eat a breakfast
burrito (instead of my oatmeal) and i let them talk me into a dr pepper instead of my water. However Instead of being Utterly
frustrated (which i am lol) I will Go give blood after lunch and feel better about myself and just eat a light sensable lunch. Does everyone have these back sliding days....but sometimes the backslide turns into more than just one day...BUT NOT TO DAY i back slid for breakfast...but Lunch I have spaghetti squash with some baked chicken and my 32 oz water...And to subsititue tonight I will just eat a light lunch and I will walk my extra walk...With all that my calories are right around 1400 so i can manage :)
Sorry, I know its jumbled and rambling but i feel better lol :)

Replies

• kuroi19
    kuroi19 Posts: 45
    Options
    My whole time since on mfp is a one big succession of backslides, some lasted months.
    So far it's good though, I usually miss calorie counting and healthy lifestyle and as soon as I gain a bit of weight I go back to it and make up for it well.

I end up with a bumpy weight pattern but slowly going down in the long run.
  • CecilLBishop
    Options
    Sure we all do! I myself set aside one day of the week to eat anything I want. I call My Cheat Day. I keeps me from the cravings I have had before and I don't feel like I'm punishing myself.

Good luck!
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    In the past I have, but I don't let people guilt me or peer pressure me into eating food that is outside of my macros. If they really care, they won't bother aside from offering once. And if I decline, they will let it go.

I stopped using the phrases "falling off the wagon", "getting back on the wagon," "cheat days," etc. IMHO, they are subconscious ways of saying that I am failing; and I WILL NOT fail.

Just don't blame someone else, this is your choice, your body. What you put in it is no ones responsibility but your own. So if you want to eat something outside of your normal routine, try and plan ahead for it instead. You won't feel guilty after and you can plan the rest of your meals for the day around it.

Edit to say: For the most part, I eat what I want, so long as it fits my macros and my goals. So I never feel deprived, I don't get cravings, and I don't feel guilty when I plan ahead and anticipate a change in my routine - ie if I'm planning to go out for a meal rather than eat something I made.
  • karenertl
    karenertl Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I've had this same problem.
  • LadyBenihime
    LadyBenihime Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about anyone else.. but if I eat more calories then I planned I tend to just exercise a little longer.. and if it's too much of a gap I try to make up the difference the next day
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    oh+and+if+you+think+people+shouldn+t+cyber+bully+or+_e631b9871f3e7a04f707ca0e9a11dae0.gif
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about anyone else.. but if I eat more calories then I planned I tend to just exercise a little longer.. and if it's too much of a gap I try to make up the difference the next day

Yep! I do an extra exercise, too if needed! But I have been planning ahead so that I avoid this to begin with hehe!
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think that means you're getting it: Go ahead and eat what you want but do something else to compensate for the extra calories. Eat a lighter meal. Exercise a little harder. I'm now starting to get it myself. This is how I want my lifestyle to be as well. good luck!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Vent...
    Sometimes I amaze myself.I do awesome. I lose 2 or 3 pounts up to 5 to 10 pounds then I back slide and gain it back
    Today I looked on the scale and I was all excited. My pants felt better. And what do I do ...I get to work and I eat a breakfast
    burrito (instead of my oatmeal) and i let them talk me into a dr pepper instead of my water. However Instead of being Utterly
    frustrated (which i am lol) I will Go give blood after lunch and feel better about myself and just eat a light sensable lunch. Does everyone have these back sliding days....but sometimes the backslide turns into more than just one day...BUT NOT TO DAY i back slid for breakfast...but Lunch I have spaghetti squash with some baked chicken and my 32 oz water...And to subsititue tonight I will just eat a light lunch and I will walk my extra walk...With all that my calories are right around 1400 so i can manage :)
    That's a healthy attitude...not letting it effect the remainder of the day, week, month etc. Yes, I do understand, I find it so frustrating when I get caught up in that cycle. ugh! Then I get back in gear and I'm doing well.. seems as time goes on and I get stronger and more determined.. less time elapses between getting right back on quick!

Cheers for a job well done!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    you are sabotaging yourself because you fear you just might succeed. then what? I do the same thing. What has helped me not to do it..is to keep logging. even the stupid backsliding stuff. When you log it....it stares you in the face and you get back on track.

sometimes i think dieting takes the place of other goals we should be tackling in life. So if we keep dieting ..we never have to achieve the other really hard stuff. LIke money, career, relationships.. so on..
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I have fewer back sliding days when I pre-log what I'm planning on eating. I have a smart phone and just put the info into the app. Usually seeing what my snack will do to my numbers that day is motivation enough to stay to plan.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump bump
  • mslee369
    Options
    We all have those days.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just a quick Vent...

Are you staying within your calorie goals? Changing eating habits is not about what you eat but how much you eat. You should eat the foods you like. Stop being so obsessive and hard on yourself.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Aw ... I'm sorry you had a rough day and feel like you backslid. Sometimes I find the number on the scale gives you this little extra security blanket to eat more than you had planned. Like, if you're down, you may rationalize that it's okay to have that donut or whatever -- because you have wiggle room. But it sounds like you're putting it all into perspective and not letting you drag you down over the long-term.

But yeah. When I look at a report of my calories eaten, it's like an EKG reading. Down down down, up, down down, up, down down, up, up. It would probably be great if I were interested in maintaining my weight, but I need to knock off 25 pounds!
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    bump bump

fishnchum.gif