Any other glasses faces who race?

Options
Triathlons are my big passion but I wear glasses (womp womp). It's not a big problem during the swim since the buoys are nice and bright and huge, and I don't mind running without my glasses but I really need to see when I'm biking (for obvious reasons). What do y'all do? Is it worth investing in a nicer pair of prescription sunglasses for biking (do they even make those?)? Right now I just wear my regular old pair of prescription sunglasses - but that doesn't really work for times that it's not sunny and they don't protect my eyes as much as I'd like and aren't too secure so I'm waiting for they day they fly off my face.

Haaalp. Seriously, getting into racing is the first time that I've started to consider eye surgery but I look too awesome with glasses.

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I was at the eye doctor this week ordering new glasses/contacts and noticed that there was a display of "athletic" prescription eyewear frames. Maybe you could get some with the lenses that darken in bright light?

Have you tried contacts? Could you get some and just wear them for racing/training?
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'll have to check out the athletic frames, thank you! My concern with contacts is that I couldn't wear them for the swim leg and there would be no time/place for me to put them in during transition, though they're definitely an option when I'm training.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    You can also get prescription swim goggles but they're not super accurate. It might look pretty silly but they'd stay on your face and you wouldn't have to change.
  • LeslieMartina
    LeslieMartina Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I switched to contacts as I got involved in more outdoor activities. Have you tried wearing snug swim goggles over contacts? If you do this, I would suggest daily use contacts. You don't want to recycle contacts with pool/public water contamination.
  • jonward85
    jonward85 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    i wear glasses now, but used to swim in contacts all the time. As long as your goggles fit well you shouldn't have any issues. I never did. I do agree if you can talk to your eye care professional and let them know you have a triathalon coming up they would probably give you a "trial pair" that you can just chuck when it's all said and done. If not i wouldn't worry to much about it. Like i said, i never had issues. Just clean them well after it's all said and done with renu or something similar.
  • ipsamet
    ipsamet Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Ahh, awesome! Thanks so much guys. I always just assumed you couldn't swim in contacts, but it's been years since I wore them. I'm gonna see them if I can get them for my September race. Will just have to tough it out for my Saturday one!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    When I can afford it, I'm going to get myself a pair of prescription Rudy Projects.

Some companies make Rx sunglasses, but only if the Rx is within acceptable limits. Mine are not, so Rx sports sunglasses are out of the question. Rudy Projects makes these sunglasses that have a place on the inside where you fit these little Rx inserts. They're barely noticeable, which is great for all us dorks that don't want to look like the dorks we actually are. *sigh*

My wife's trying to get me into some contacts. As stated, since you're wearing goggles that's just not the big deal you might think it is.

Hope this helps.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For the swim, prescription googles are reasonably priced and work well. They don't look any different than other googles, particularly if they are tinted. My daughter (year round competitive swimmer) wears them at all her meets.

For running and biking, I always liked sport sunglasses, so I'd invest in a pair of prescription ones for those.
  • Elliehmltn
    Elliehmltn Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    For me, contacts worn with swim goggles and sunglasses. Definitely. They don't shift around, steam up, get raindrops on them, or any of the other things glasses do. Wearing contacts for sports will change the way you look at your sports. I used to be a full-time contacts wearer, but with aging had to keep putting reading glasses on and off and have gone with multifocal glasses for everything but my sports. Contacts rule for multisports!
  • trixie315
    trixie315 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In for the advice. I am an avid cyclist and have the same problem. Only I am unable to wear contacts or have the lasik surgery. I am stuck with glasses for now. I normally wear Rx sunglasses when I ride, I'm not even sure what I would do if I tried to do a tri!
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Check out: http://www.sportrx.com/

I have purchased my last 2 pairs of Rx cycling glasses there. Not cheap but cheaper than the prices at the local optmetrist.
    There are other suppliers out there but Sportrx has been outfitting athletes a long time. They can make a lot of difficult perscriptions direct in-frame (no optical inserts that touch your eyelashes and fog up). They have frames suitable for any sport,

For my latest pair I had to go with progressive lenses, so I can read my bike computer (sucks getting old, LOL). I also went with a pair where I could swap the dark tinted lenses for high-contrast yellow for overcast or night riding.
  • Otrogen
    Otrogen Posts: 65
    Options
    I don't know how you can stand to have any glasses touching your face, eyeglasses or sunglasses. I used to purposefully take off my glasses for running, and now that I've swapped to contacts, it is SO freeing.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Lasik+ Best money I have ever spent in my life. I wore glasses from middle school until about 2.5 years ago. It's quick, painless and the recovery time is minimal. My vision was 20/15 at the one week follow up and has been every since.

If you are a candidate and have the ~$3500 (or can finance it), I HIGHLY recommend looking into it.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I use prescription sun glasses when I race.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Contacts aren't a comfortable option for me because of the shape of my eyeballs and the fact I have Astigmatism. Tried every version of Toric lenses and none of them give me the visual acuity I can achieve with eyeglasses (20-15)

Also, wearing protective eyewear while on a bike is a good idea regardless. On an MTB for branches, dirt, etc. and on th eroad bike for debris, bugs, etc. Nothing like taking a rock in the eye kicked up by the guy in front of you at 26mph. Matter of fact, all bike racing competitors I know, even those with perfect vision, wear glasses for protection 100% of the time.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I don't wear contacts, but do wear glasses. I can get by without them on the swim, but must have them for the bike, and I'm more comfortable with them for the run. I searched around and I found, for me, that racquet ball glasses work the best for me. I have my regular prescription along with the bifocals and have them with transition lenses. In the last 8 years my prescription has changed twice so it hasn't really been too costly. So I use the same glasses for riding and running.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    For me, contacts worn with swim goggles and sunglasses. Definitely. They don't shift around, steam up, get raindrops on them, or any of the other things glasses do. Wearing contacts for sports will change the way you look at your sports. I used to be a full-time contacts wearer, but with aging had to keep putting reading glasses on and off and have gone with multifocal glasses for everything but my sports. Contacts rule for multisports!

Consider a mono vision Rx for contacts....basically each eye is fitted with a different power lens, 1 for reading and 1 for distance. The brain automatically allows each eye to dominate considering the focal distance. Ive been wearing mono vision for 8 years. Love it.

I wear Ciba Air Optics Night and Day. I often wear them for up to 6 weeks without taking them out. (doc raises hell with me) I sleep, shower and swim (without goggles) while wearing them. These particular contacts are silicon hydrogel and I didnt even need but for a day or two to acclimate to them - http://www.airoptix.com/contact-lenses/air-optix-night-and-day-aqua.shtml

There is also something new from Ciba Vision called Multifocal Contacts-http://www.airoptix.com/contact-lenses/air-optix-aqua-multifocal.shtml