Tofu

Options
2»

Replies

• spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Love it once I learned how to cook it. I was pressing it between cutting boards with a cast iron pot on top, but just last week I got tofu press from amazon. I've only used it once so far, but it's great!

http://www.amazon.com/Tofu-Presser-P1-Press/dp/B00507GC96/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1377140903&sr=8-4&keywords=tofu+press
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    A chocolate pie made with tofu is great ive never used it out side of smoothies or pies, but i have some to try just to afraid....

There is a great chocolate pie recipe using tofu on chocolatecoveredkatie.com. I love that site!
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    THIS
    > http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/the-perfect-baked-tofu

Ingredients (for two portions):

2/3 block extra firm tofu
    2 tablespoons EVOO
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
    Press excess liquid from tofu. (Wrap several paper towels around tofu, and place tofu in between two plates. Let stand for 15 minutes.)
    Cut tofu in 1 inch by 1 inch pieces.
    In a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix EVOO, honey, chili powder, black pepper, and paprika.
    Microwave marinade for 35 seconds and stir thoroughly.
    Spray cooking sheet.
    Coat each piece of tofu in marinade and place on cooking sheet.
    Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of tofu.
    Cook at 375 for 30 minutes, turning once.
    Viola! Enjoy!

IT seriously is the best recipe I've found. I made it last night without the honey and threw it in with vegetables to make teriyaki. (I made chicken and veggie teriyaki for my husband.)

If you still hate it, try tempeh instead. It's got a better texture and more easily absorbs whatever flavors you cook with it.
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    THIS
    > http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/the-perfect-baked-tofu

Ingredients (for two portions):

2/3 block extra firm tofu
    2 tablespoons EVOO
    2 tablespoons honey
    1/2 tablespoon chili powder
    1/2 tablespoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 tablespoon sesame seeds
    Preparation:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
    Press excess liquid from tofu. (Wrap several paper towels around tofu, and place tofu in between two plates. Let stand for 15 minutes.)
    Cut tofu in 1 inch by 1 inch pieces.
    In a small, microwave-safe bowl, mix EVOO, honey, chili powder, black pepper, and paprika.
    Microwave marinade for 35 seconds and stir thoroughly.
    Spray cooking sheet.
    Coat each piece of tofu in marinade and place on cooking sheet.
    Sprinkle sesame seeds on top of tofu.
    Cook at 375 for 30 minutes, turning once.
    Viola! Enjoy!

IT seriously is the best recipe I've found. I made it last night without the honey and threw it in with vegetables to make teriyaki. (I made chicken and veggie teriyaki for my husband.)

If you still hate it, try tempeh instead. It's got a better texture and more easily absorbs whatever flavors you cook with it.

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM

i love making tofu like this but i put it under the broiler until it gets kinda chewy and its like a snack i can carry around with me

but i just like tofu in general. all ways. any way. any time.
  • momtoeandt
    momtoeandt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Freezing it first (extra firm) makes all the difference in texture (then thaw, squeeze out water, your choice of sauce...)
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    My sister in law cooks and crumbles it and uses it instead of ground beef in her spaghetti sauce. I like to sauté it a little bit and cook it into my fried rice.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Avoid tofu if you can or any soy-based product if you can. The environmental impact of soybean production is fairly negative. You can get your protein from lentils, nuts, seeds, and grains. If you're ovo-lacto vegetarian, then you should be able to get plenty of protein from dairy and eggs.

the environmental impact of dairy and eggs far exceeds that of soy..js
  • SkepticallyFit
    Options
    Avoid tofu if you can or any soy-based product if you can. The environmental impact of soybean production is fairly negative. You can get your protein from lentils, nuts, seeds, and grains. If you're ovo-lacto vegetarian, then you should be able to get plenty of protein from dairy and eggs.

Yeah, no. Not even close. Soy monocultures are destroying rain forests right now and killing quite a few animals (many of which are endangered), which seems to contradict a lot of the reasoning behind veganism and vegetarianism. Raising cows for dairy is also far less wasteful than raising them for meat. However, it should be stated that the vast majority of soybean production goes to animal feed. Still, contributing to it by consuming soy-based protein is unnecessary.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Whoops, double post. Sorry.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    Yeah, no. Not even close. Soy monocultures are destroying rain forests right now and killing quite a few animals (many of which are endangered), which seems to contradict a lot of the reasoning behind veganism and vegetarianism. Raising cows for dairy is also far less wasteful than raising them for meat. However, it should be stated that the vast majority of soybean production goes to animal feed. Still, contributing to it by consuming soy-based protein is unnecessary.

Unless, of course, you think tofu is delicious, in which case it is very necessary. :)

And, like you said, the vast majority of soybean (and corn, I believe) production is for animal feed and, in corn's case, for vehicle fuel nowadays. The dairy cows and beef cattle and the chickens, etc., are eating a lot more soy (and corn) than the people are eating. So, if everyone were to suddenly cut out meat/dairy consumption, you'd theoretically see soybean consumption and the environmental damage its production is causing go down correspondingly, too. Granted, we don't have enough arable land for vegetarianism/veganism to be a viable way to feed everyone on the planet, even if everyone would want to make that decision, but if environmentalism is your bag, it's not a bad way to go.

In short, everything we do has an impact on the environment and causes "damage" or at least change. Like, every time you fart you're contributing to global warming. (And bovines fart way more than humans do, of course.) It's just a question of what sort and how much. Not eating soy for environmental reasons is kind of silly, really, given that what humanity as a whole eats is greatly offset by what the animals that we raise for meat/dairy/eggs eat. I suppose every little bit counts if you're into environmentalism, but there are lots of other things that you can do that will have far more of a positive impact on the environment than just foregoing tofu.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

I don't think you're getting it. The bulk of soy grown isn't even for humane consumption, it's to feed "food animals" and pets. If you eat any animal or anything from one you're contributing to your little soy destroying conspiracy so I hope you're a soy-free vegan if you still want to talk about this.