Lifting twice per week

Options
I am fairly new to weight lifting, and I am trying to get a good routine going. My main focus is on running right now as I have three races planned over the next 5 months. Would I see any real strength gains lifting only twice per week? I was thinking something like the following:

Day One
1. Incline Bench Press
2. Bent over Rows
3. Shoulder Press
4. Pull ups
5. Bicep Curls
6. Dips
7. Ab routine

Day Two
1. Leg Press
2. Leg Extensions
3. Romanian Dead Lift
4. Lunges
5. Calf Raises
6. Back Extensions
7. Ab routine

Like I said, I am new to the weight lifting portion, so I am open to suggestions. Be nice :smile:

Replies

• GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Yes, but a little slower.

Day 1:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Dips

Whatever you feel like doing for abs both days.

Or you know, do a program like Starting Strength, or All-Pro, or New Rules.

Keep in mind, until you get used to the work, linear progression is going to interfere with your running.
  • cassondra1370
    cassondra1370 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

Day 1:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Dips

Keep in mind, until you get used to the work, linear progression is going to interfere with your running.

So you think what I mentioned above is trying to do too much then? I was trying to come up with an inclusive plan that would hit all the major muscle groups, but if I could make good progress following something like you mentioned, that would be good too.
  • weequay
    weequay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like that you spit upper body and lower body.. I don't think you have anything wrong with your routiine.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Day 1:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Dips

So you think what I mentioned above is trying to do too much then? I was trying to come up with an inclusive plan that would hit all the major muscle groups, but if I could make good progress following something like you mentioned, that would be good too.

Not too much... just pointless at this point to do a bunch of isolation work.
    The compounds I mention are the core of every serious strength program for a reason. =)
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    hi. luv ur crown. ur routine needs alot of fine tuning. although working out with weights 2x a wk is not optimal but u can get results from it. but u goootttaa hit each body part 2x a wk. u can use different exercises that stimulate the same muscle group on different days.

mon

bench
    dead lift
    squat

thurs

shoulder press
    bent over row
    leg press

small muscle groups like bis, tris, cavs, abs can go once a week. good luck!
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Day 1:
    Squats
    Bench Press
    Chin Ups

Day 2
    Deadlifts
    Overhead Press
    Dips

I will concur with this no-nonsense fundamentall approach. It will compliment your current goals much better than the routine filled with isolation moves, giving you more finishing power on your runs.

The chin ups can be substituted with pull-ups, barbell rows, inverse rows, or lat pulldown.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I lift 5 times a week, but that's because I like it.. there have been studies to show that 3 times a week can be fairly optimal if you're doing compound lifts.

It depends if you like a push/pull/legs split or something like upper body / lower body split.. Honestly, listen to your body because no one trains the same.
  • Soccermavrick
    Soccermavrick Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Get soda has a basic but good starting routine.

What you originally suggested was decent but it seemed like you were only working some body parts once a week and not twice. And honestly it sounds like you are not sold on lifting. If you are not sold, then staying general would be quicker a more effective than the detailed routine that you suggested where your movements are isolating muscles. Now if you end up working out more often, then the isolated movements could be brought back in, but that is a different scenario.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Everyone nailed it. Do the essential compound lifts from a starting strength program.

Personally I don't think isolations should really be incorporated until you are strong enough to do them with some decent weight. Isolations with a 5-10lb dumbbell isn't really going to be too beneficial. A real split routine with a lot of isolation work is more inline to training like a body builder. Body builders will isolate each muscle group and hit them with high volume for the pump and maximum hypertrophy. Unless pure mass is your goal, with strength being your secondary objective, it is best to not train this way. Even for people who want to get a bodybuilder type build, this should come much later when they can push some real weight. Starting with splits and isolation work is a long long road to results.
  • Brando904
    Options
    I honestly think you would be better of with adding a 3rd day if possible. That's a lot of muscle groups to hit in just 2 days. I'm currently doing a 3 day split Monday= chest/tris Wed= back/biceps & Fri= shoulders/legs you can toss abs in what ever day of the week fits you.
  • EverythingIsTakenAgain
    Options
    Just my 2 cents...

I had been lifting 3 days/week but since I started marathon training, I decided to drop it down to 2 days since running is my main goal right now. I do the same workout both days: bench press, squat, deadlift, pullups, dips (the ones on parallel bars). I've found this is a pretty good way to get total body in twice a week since it's using compound moves (like everyone else is saying). Also, I don't lift the day before my long run; my legs usually feel heavy the day after lifting. Sidenote: I'm not gonna lie - I threw in the dips because that's the best way for me to get the tricep cut on my arms that I love :)