Is it ever appropriate to skip a weigh in?

Options
I had a NSV this week that kind of bit me in the butt. I took the family to the beach and walked from my car all the way to the beach to pick a spot and then went to the water without any difficulty. 2 months ago I tried that same feat and virtually collapsed in the sand from exhaustion when we got to our spot on the beach. So needless today I truly savored the day on the beach....a little too much. I got sun poison with all the trimmings: rash, fever, chills, nausea, dizzyness, extreme pain etc. I also have tremendous swelling in my abdomen . Doc says its from the sun. However, my weigh in is this Saturday and I am still afraid of seeing bad things on the scale. I could skip a week and see the results next time. What are your thoughts?
Thanks ya,ll

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I see no reason why you can't skip a weigh in.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Well not everyone weighs every week anyway. Some people are once a monthers. So if you think seeing a higher number will impact you negatively just skip it til next time. Just keep on track with your logging and you'll hopefully have a nice loss the following week.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to weigh yourself, just learn to put what you see into proper context.

For example, 2 weeks from now you could be up 1 pound, and that would discourage you. But had you weighed yourself, you might have seen that you were up 4 pounds this week, so instead of being discouraged, you understand that the extra weight is working itself out.

You know any potential extra weight didn't come from overeating, so you have nothing to worry about either way.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to weigh yourself, just learn to put what you see into proper context.

For example, 2 weeks from now you could be up 1 pound, and that would discourage you. But had you weighed yourself, you might have seen that you were up 4 pounds this week, so instead of being discouraged, you understand that the extra weight is working itself out.

You know any potential extra weight didn't come from overeating, so you have nothing to worry about either way.

QFT!!! I spent alot of time of the scale losing the weight I did and not every week was a positive, sometimes I was up a couple pounds do to water retention (because I knew from my logging there was no way I gained that in the deficit I had for that week) and then the following week that water weight had dropped and I seen an even bigger loss... It took me a while to come to terms with the scale but it is not the end all be all. Make sure you are logging and measuring everything you eat that is a truer test of reaching your overall goal. Don't forget to take measurements also and once a month recheck and see how many inches you have lost.... Best of Luck
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think with your extenuating circumstances it would be totally understandable to skip the weigh in. However it might be interesting scientifically to see if the effects of sun poisoning had any effect on your weight. I weigh in once a month just to check in as I am within 10 lbs of my goal and ok with where I am now.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    This may be hard to believe, but stepping on a scale has no actual impact on your weight!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Weigh as often as you prefer, for whatever reason you wish.

If it starts messing with your head to do it one way, do it a different way.

Above all, take what you see for what it is, only one indicator of what is going on with your body, at that snapshot moment.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    This may be hard to believe, but stepping on a scale has no actual impact on your weight!

:heart: :heart: :love: :heart: the truth.
  • happymum37
    happymum37 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm learning that scales aren't the be all and end all. I've not weighed myself for a couple of weeks because I know I will have some water weight from a new exercise programme. There's is no point in causing further stress so I don't think there's anything wrong with missing a week. Good luck and hope you feel better soon :)
  • glenclouser
    glenclouser Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just a quick follow up. Everything worked out just fine. I weighed in when I was supposed to and had no gain/no loss. This week I weighed in and lost 8 lbs. It's an awful reality that my emotional balance is so fragile. I KNOW in my head that if I just stay true to the plan, eat right, exercise integrity in my log entries everything will work out. I guess on some level I fear an emotional setback that will send me spiraling out of control. I've failed so many times before and I have to learn how to not let my past dictate my future. Thanks so much to all who offered a part of their experience!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eh I don't even weigh 3 weeks a month. I know I won't lose anything so there's no point except making me upset. But I'll weigh every day during the week I normally lose! I'm a woman though so it's easier to tell when I'm going to lose... but I find weekly weigh ins horrible and totally discouraging.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I try to weigh in once a week, but there's no hard and fast rule that says you have to weigh yourself. I'd probably go ahead and weigh, record the weight somewhere then wait till the next week to "officially" enter it. If I've gained water weight it should be gone by then. If I gained fat....it might stick around. Do what's best for you.
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If you are scared, I think you should stay away from the scale. Your mental health is important and the scale isn't something you should fear!

I especially think skipping your weigh in day is a good idea if you think it could make you focus on negatives rather than the fun you had at the beach and the great improvements you've had with your physical stamina.

What you've already accomplished is fantastic! Congratulations!
  • rileyhall00
    Options
    why not, its your journey, you decide on how you travel it and how it ends.

I do shift work and during night shift my weigh in's are inconsistent.

Keep up the good work and reap the rewards later in life.
  • klinger6395
    klinger6395 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every day...