Breastfeeding mom wanting to lose weight.

Options
Hello all. I've been breastfeeding now for over 6 months. Son is 6.5 months old. I initially lost all the weight plus, but have recently gained weight back. He still isn't sleeping all night so i'm not getting enough sleep. I want to lose weight. But i'm already not pumping enough when I work. I want to find some like minded people to help me and give me some suggestions. I had gestational diabetes and that helped a lot with my food intake during pregnancy, but since having him i feel like i've fallen off the deep end. I can't control my urges for junk food and i can't resist. :( I'm so tired in the evening that exercise just seems like too hard of work. I was so motivated before i got pregnant with him. This is making me super depressed. I don't want to go back to my bigger clothes. I want to keep getting smaller so i can buy smaller clothes and possibly fit into the tub of clothes i had 8 years ago before i got pregnant with my first.

Sorry if this was a bunch of rambling. i'm just really frustrated and looking for motivation and support.

Thanks,!

Replies

• gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just bumping in hopes that someone will see this :)
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I bf both of my babies and dropped the pregnancy weight plus about 10-15lbs very quickly. After that, if I tried to diet or exercise regularly, my supply would drop substantially. So for the good of the babies, I waited until I was done bf. Since then, 50lbs more have fallen off relatively easily.

Rest is key. Hydration is important. But in the end, it may be a choice between changing your body and feeding your baby.

YMMV, but that's my story.
  • 10BlueDoves
    10BlueDoves Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any advice but would love to offer you the support to keep breast feeding.

I completely understand what you are going through. I gained a lot of weight the first year after each of my kids were born, I was insanely hungry all the time! I was actually excited my second pregnancy because I was eating good, felt good and only gained 8 pounds for the entire pregnancy. I thought I was going to come out the other side weighing less than I did when I got pregnant with her, but that didn't happen. I somehow packed on an insane amount of weight in a short amount of time. :sad:

Looking back, I am wondering if I was shorting myself on some sort of nutrient my body needed to keep producing a healthy supply of milk, so in turn it made me so hungry. That is really just my own personal theory. Maybe you could take a closer look at the foods you are eating and try increasing certain nutrients.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Keep BFing and focus on eating healthy. Maybe it will help you to realize that what you're eating is going to your baby as well? That helps me when I really want to just indulge in every bad thing known to man.

Sleep is very important for healthy weight loss. I'm sure you already know that when the body is sleep deprived it stores more fat and the body is overstressed.

Since I don't really advise dieting/weight loss while BFing, I suggest setting up small goals for yourself. Perhaps tell yourself for a week every morning you need to drink 2 glasses of water before you eat breakfast -- whether breakfast is Cocoa Puffs or oatmeal. Give yourself the kudos for drinking the 2 glasses and trying to maintain proper water intake throughout the day. Focus on that positive. Add another positive thing, like "Okay, I can eat that pastry only if I eat 5 strawberries first and then wait 5 minutes." Set the timer and wait. And if you still want it, eat it. You ate the strawberries first and that's a step in the right direction. You have to try to teach your body to crave the good again. Perhaps you are deficient in something that you're craving certain kinds of junk?
  • jgrodzicki
    Options
    I agree with the others. Keep BFing and focus on eating healthy. Maybe it will help you to realize that what you're eating is going to your baby as well? That helps me when I really want to just indulge in every bad thing known to man.

Sleep is very important for healthy weight loss. I'm sure you already know that when the body is sleep deprived it stores more fat and the body is overstressed.

Since I don't really advise dieting/weight loss while BFing, I suggest setting up small goals for yourself. Perhaps tell yourself for a week every morning you need to drink 2 glasses of water before you eat breakfast -- whether breakfast is Cocoa Puffs or oatmeal. Give yourself the kudos for drinking the 2 glasses and trying to maintain proper water intake throughout the day. Focus on that positive. Add another positive thing, like "Okay, I can eat that pastry only if I eat 5 strawberries first and then wait 5 minutes." Set the timer and wait. And if you still want it, eat it. You ate the strawberries first and that's a step in the right direction. You have to try to teach your body to crave the good again. Perhaps you are deficient in something that you're craving certain kinds of junk?

Fantastic advice! So I second this... all of it!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I didn't start exercising and eating at a deficit until my son was 9 months old. I recognize you saying that you are busy pumping and have trouble fitting it in during the day ---- I wonder if you could start exercising a little more and see if the extra movement and endorphins help with the mood. Does you son like to get out in the stroller. I take my son in the stroller and we walk on sunny (but not too hot) days. I find he is a gumble monkey now that he is walking and wants to get out, but he will usually tolerate at least 1.5 miles or 2 if I give him books to read or his water to drink.

I found I was always tired when I was BFing and it did help to get moving a little more. The endorphin rush was nice even when I felt like I was overworked and underpaid (so to speak!)

Hang in there and GREAT job BFing your child over 6 months! I appreciate your struggle. It was a bitter sweet day when I chose to stop. I loved my time with him nursing and I knew it was the best thing for him, but I was so HAPPY to be done. :flowerforyou:

Edit: I may have misread your original post "I'm already not pumping enough when I am at work" -- I took this to mean you didn't have tim eto exercise at work because you needed to pump, but I think now you might mean you are not pumping enough volume wise! That could be hydration for sure -- water, water, water! Also, stress hinders milk supply. If you are constantly worried about this weight you need to lose, you may inhibit your ability to make milk. Relax. Your babe won't nurse forever, and you will be free to do what you wish at that time!
  • gwynb041109
    gwynb041109 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your replies. Great advice, I am going to make sure that i have a huge water bottle next to me at all times. And I am going to take some advice on trying to get walking. He hates strollers but loves the ergo so hey a walk with an added 18 pounds is exercise right? :)P
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    def add way more water. i am nursing my third. he is year. i nursed the other 2 until they were 2 yrs old. my weight never started coming off until they were 7 or 8 mo. i drink a ton of fluids. also, i eat a lot of granola bars. oatmeal helps with production.
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing my 8 month old, and I'm also struggling. I have about 15 pounds to lose, until I'm back at my pre-preg weight. With my previous 2 children, the weight came off effortlessly, but this time around, it's just not happening. It may be my age, but I am not used to how challenging this is! I'm starting to wean my baby, because my supply is very low at this point. I'm hoping I'm one of those people who loses after I stop nursing. I'm so unhappy with my weight right now.
  • pt49120
    pt49120 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been nursing my son for nine months now and my weight is at a stand still. I feel hungry ALL THE TIME, even though he's eating solid foods now too. I started working out two months ago and still haven't been able to lose weight. So here I am on MFP, I'm going to start tracking all my food and try to stay under 2,000 calories a day and see if that helps. It's so frustrating to not lose weight :-(
  • tcrumpley74
    tcrumpley74 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey MFP friend, thanks for having the courage to ask for advice on this issue. My son is 2 months old and I do a combination of breastfeeding and formula supplementation. I lost 20 pounds of the initial 35 I gained during the pregnancy (2nd one) but my weight loss has come to a stand still. I nurse my son between the hours of 7pm and 6am. Unfortunately, it is not an option for me to feed on demand because I am working and often have to be in the field attending meetings. the main advice is not to reduce your calories but increase physical activity, eat cleaner and drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water a day. I also take Fenugreek to ensure that milk supply doesn't decrease since I have returned to work and eat oatmeal about 3-4 times a week...

I love my son don't get me wrong (oh BTW did I mention he's 14 lbs!) but I also love feeling fit and liking my image in the mirror- there has to be a way to honor both needs. Be encouraged and I hope you find the support and advice you are looking for on this board :).
  • GeminiDelight
    GeminiDelight Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    with all the great advice, i would like to add this: your baby is only a baby once. i understand the need to get your body back. i feel it too. i have to constantly remind myself that i am a new person now. a different person. i will never be the same person i was before. i am better now in so many ways. each child has changed me. it is the time to concentrate on the baby while they are still babies. the weight loss will come. it takes time to put on the weight, and more time to take it off. patience.

every time i notice a supply decrease, i make sure i eat until i am not hungry. i try to eat healthy foods but add oatmeal and up my water. i cut down my caffeine and rest instead of exercising. until my supply comes back up. my supply is more important to me right now than losing the weight.
  • katikoht
    Options
    congrats on getting this far! My second is 7 1/2 months and still BF (or pumping), starting some solids. I tried earlier to start losing weight, but like you the sleeplessness and hunger worked against me. I gave myself permission to let it go and just tried to make reasonable choices so as not to GAIN weight. When I gave myself permission to let it go, I actually lost like 4 pounds; and believe me I've been eating fast food and drinking foo-foo coffee and not working out in any formal way (the occasional walk..with a 3 years old - that isn't much). I also have limited the junk food coming in the house. My teen wasn't happy but he needs to eat healthier, too. Its best for us all.

I am just now feeling like I can do this; starting slow with tracking. Just tracking.

I just wanted to share some encouragement, and suggest that you should give yourself a bit of a break. You have a lot going on. Baby steps. Pick one goal that you feel like you can achieve.
  • babosam
    babosam Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi there, Congratulations on your little baby and your ability to BF; what a wonderful thing that is ;-)) A friend of mine repeatedly told me during my BF time that it is really difficult/impossible to lose weight when you're not getting enough sleep.

Sadly now, with hindsight, I think she's right. Is there any way you could fit in some extra snoozes during the day and get more rest?? Not easy to achieve, I know, but being good to yourself in terms of as much rest and relaxation as possible may just help you a little in the weight loss efforts too.

Good luck in your journey ;-))