So discouraged.

Options
I have been eating so much less since I started this plan. I thought I was doing so well, lost 3 pounds in two weeks. I stepped on the scale yesterday and I'm almost back to where I started. Don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    I can't see your food diary so I can't comment on what you've been eating lately. So instead I shall send some hugs and say do not give up xxx
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I can't tell if you are male or female but that happened to me also.

1) it was the week before "that time" and it was water
    2) I hit my plateau weight (155, 175) within a week and had to work through it.

I was mortified. But now I broke through and have lost 11 pounds since then
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

I hit plateaus every 10 pounds and then I get stuck for about a month. (173-175 and 163-165)
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're tracking your sodium and drinking enough water. Sodium helps retain water, but drinking water helps flush it (believe it or not). Good luck!
  • dlm1212
    dlm1212 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I am determined to not give up.
  • talkativ15
    Options
    Dont get discouraged!!!! Are you eating enough? That could be it.... if you dont eat the calorie amount you should be aiming for your body can go into starvation mode and it reserves all the fat and calrories you take in and have because it thinks it needs it to survive. Be proud of the three pounds and know that you can do it!! If it makes you feel better I did almost 2 hours of cardio kickboxing last night ate my recommended calories and woke up almost 1.5 lbs heavier...lol its all in the cycle of how it works!! I think its because i couldnt sleep last night and I only got about 3 hours of good sleep cause that aids in weight loss too! Dont get discouraged...doing that it only going to put you back to where you were when you started...remember...try everyday...every change starts the same with deciding to make the change and keeping forward with one foot in front of the other!! :)
  • hollbell
    Options
    not sure what your diet is~eating less isnt always a sure way to lose weight! you may need to eat more!!! to save alot of typing i suggest you read Tosca Renos Eat Clean Diet book! its great! Good Luck and dont give up!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    hang in there, it will start coming off. Everyone is different, some people the weight seems to fly off of, some people it takes alot longer. Keep it up as long as you dont give up you will meet your goal eventually
  • platoon
    platoon Posts: 340
    Options
    One day at a time... consistency produces results. :-)
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hang in there and push through. Sometimes it's just your body saying "WAIT!!! I don't want to lose weight" and it'll hang on for dear life. Keep up your eating plans and your water. Add in some new exercises and just keep trekking.

Cheers!!

Katie (aka Kekibird)
  • justahorsen
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?

I hit plateaus every 10 pounds and then I get stuck for about a month. (173-175 and 163-165)

This is exactly where I'm at right now....thanks for posting this I cannot seem to get past this 10 lb plateau but now I see that it happens to others I'll be more patient.....thanks again....
  • nikicoleman
    nikicoleman Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way from time to time - are you exercising - it could be a gain of muscle this week as well. But I can tell you, I plateau almost every 10lbs too. I have learned to not give up during that phase but to keep going on because this isn't a change for now it is a lifestyle I am planning to live.
  • agilbertson10
    Options
    It is a common fact that too much sodium causes water weight. Drink a TON of water. At least 64oz a day. If you are exercising then you need to drink more. Also two things. One: if you are exercising make sure you are eating your exercise calories. Two: Working out builds muscle. More muscle is good and it may cause the scale to tip the other way for a second . Everyone hits a plateau. I myself lost 10 lbs then just suddenly stopped and haven't even budged in 3 or 4 days not even an by a point lol. Don't let it get you down. Remember high protein, high fiber, natural foods, FRUIT, VEGGIES (believe me I hate vegetables but they are very low calorie and are extremely dense in food value while low in calorie) and lot and lot of water.
  • khofmeister
    Options
    as the saying goes if at first you don't suceed try, try agin. Don't give up. Giving up on yourself only brings you down and before you know it your back where you started from.. Keep your head high and you can climb any mountain ;)
  • jacgray
    Options
    This is what happened with me, a loss for two weeks then a gain. I hoped the next week I would lose a lot but only lost what I gained, but I'm still on the downward trend so just keep going. You will get there!
  • lupuslady
    Options
    Please do not get discouraged I went 2 weeks without a loss, but my sister kept telling do not worry it will come off, and darn if I didn't wake one morn last week and lost 3 lbs. Then I lost another one today. Don't forget, salt retains fld, and fat can be burning off and muscle weighs more than fat. Try reallly hard to stay off the scale.
  • haylith
    Options
    I, too, am discouraged.

I changed my diet around, completely cut out soft drinks (*cries*), go to the gym 4-5x a week.... and have gained back almost all I lost in the past month. My measurements haven't budged either.
    I hope for good progress for the both of us soon...
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your sugar grams? On the iPhone app the sugar grams are tracked, but I had to adjust the settings on my PC to track them properly. You are allowed very few. Be precise and careful about portion sizes. Keep it up. You'll get past this and start seeing those pounds drop. Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • sgssmile
    Options
    Try not to get discouraged, I know it's hard, I have been there. My question is are you eating enough? I found out that I wasn't eating enough, I was under 1,000 calories on a regular basis and the scale was not budging. I was around 1,200 a few times in 1 week and i lost 1 lb. Just make sure you are eating enough and drinking lot's of water. Are you eating all of your exercise caloreis? If you are, you might want to try half. Good luck, we are here for you. Please let us know how you are doing in a week! :flowerforyou: