Not feeling sore?

Options
When I started my workout regimen a couple weeks ago-- boy did I feel it the next day. It felt good! But since then I haven't felt sore at all. So yesterday when I was doing strength training at the gym, I REALLY pushed the weight. I lifted as heavy as I could but by the end of my reps-- there were a couple times that I couldn't even finish... Plus I did 30 min cardio on the treadmill. I thought FOR SURE I'd feel it today and I don't. Does this mean I'm not working hard enough? Do I need to do higher weight even though yesterday felt like I did just that? Maybe I need to do more sets? Maybe it's not imperative that I feel sore but it seems like when I feel a little sore... that's when I know my muscles are working. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I'm not looking to be sore to the point I can't walk or climb stairs or lift my basket of laundry lol. But I just don't feel it at all. Maybe that's normal. It's been so long, embarrassingly enough, since I've maintained a good workout regimen.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    DOMS are not an indicator of progress or hard work. Most people get them once in a while or at the begining. I have't had them in quite some time, I up my weight regularly and I lift damn heavy.

Keep going hard at it :)
  • Achaila
    Achaila Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I usually only feel sore immediately after a workout, never the next day. I lost 70 pounds working out vigorously in the past and never once woke up sore from it.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Being sore has no indicator of anything, really.
  • MT30_backbone
    Options
    I'm not a professional by any means but I have been told by a professional that being sore after a work out does not indicate whether or not you worked out hard. Eventually, you won't be sore after a work out that you have been doing habitually because your muscles will be used to it. You are getting stronger with every work out
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! I've been wondering the same thint
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    The fact that you couldn't finish your last rep shows that you were working hard. I get it, the muscle soreness feels good as a reminder of what you accomplished, but it really doesn't indicate workout intensity.
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh ok... well that's good then. I thought "Am I not working hard enough???" Ha. I'm a dork! Thanks guys!! :)