Contraceptives putting on weight

Has anyone found that they put on a lot of weight whilst taking cerazette??I have put on nearly a stone in the past 6 months, I have been watching what I eat and exercising as much as I can.

Did anyone else have this problem? I am thinking about going to the doctors and asking for a change.

Replies

• Kicker12
    Kicker12 Posts: 52 Member
    Hi
    I had this issue but I think it affects people in different ways. I think , for me, that most of it is water..so maybe increasing your water intake will help.
  • I'm out of my place here being male and all, but...

My wife had a Mirena IUD put in a few years back and started gaining all sorts of weight...like literally 20 pounds in a month of pure flab.

She had the doctor swap it out for the old-school non-hormone-emitting one and she stabilized right away.

Everyone's mileage varies, but for my wife the less hormonal interference she has, the better. Might work for you too.
  • Thanks for the comments guys! I think I may take a visit to the doctors and maybe ask for a change see what happens! Doesnt help that this pill is known for giving pregnancy symptoms and stopping periods.....few moments of panic have occured!!!!
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523 Member
    Sometimes you have to try a few to get what is right for you.

I have been on the pill since I was 18 (I'm 32 now) and had various side effects with different ones (acne, strange moods, weight gain).

If you are concerned have a chat to the doctor.
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Talking with your doctor about this particular medicine or any different ones is a great idea. Unfortunately with different birth control effects people completely differently.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    I don't think they really put weight on you per say..however they might increase appetite..you really have to watch your portion controls invest in a good food scale and watch your sodium intake..
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    i lost 13 pounds about a year ago--switched OBGYNs and she switched my pills because they weren't working AGAIN......anyway these have made me gain all the weight i lost back. thankfully I go hopefully in a few weeks for my physical and can talk to her about this..I am MISERABLE.....
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Are you in the UK? I only ask because the last pill I went on actually made me lose weight, I think it was Marvellon or something close to that. The nurse said that was just one of the side effects so I didn't need to worry about it.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Weight gain has never been a side effect for me....but high blood pressure, insulin resistance, interstitial cystitis, and lactation (currently happening on the new one I'm on) are side effects I've all experienced.

Estrogen can certainly cause weight gain. Several birth controls can also cause carbohydrate intolerance and insulin resistance which can also lead to weight gain on a high carb diet. Additionally, estrogen inhibits thyroid function. I found this out after I gained all my weight and my thyroid could not keep up. The estrogen has a counter effect on your thyroid and pituitary hormones. I am now hypothyroid (though negative for Hashimoto's). I'm hoping as I continue to lose weight, I will be able to reduce my thyroid meds.

My body is having a hard time adjusting hormone levels though as I am experiencing all sorts of negative side effects from the bc and the losing weight simultaneously. Long story short, any and ALL side effects should be reported to your doctor. Work with him/her to find a new method of bc or new pill if one is not working well for you.

Additionally, check generics vs. the original. The active ingredient in generics is the same, but the inactive ingredients can vary. These may include how the pill is metabolized. This may cause excess or decreased hormone metabolizing leading to negative side effects like weight loss.

Talk to your doctors kids....its worth it.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    In my 20's when i tried to go on the pill, i gained 10 lbs in a couple months. Not sure how many stones that is. I couldn't take the pill. It made me a nervous wreck, and felt like i was on my period 30 days out of the month. Yes i believe it causes some weight gain, as it changes your hormones.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Is that a progesterone only pill? Because I do tend to gain weight on that particular type of contraceptive.
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    When you just start the pill (any) you get the irregular periods/spotting for the first few months. And depending on the dosage of hormones in the pill you could potential wind up gaining (majority) water weight.
    And IUD's are great unless you like deep insertion during PIV, if your cervix is hit frequently it hurts like a B*tch! (Personal experience).
  • pollypocket3
    pollypocket3 Posts: 51 Member
    Has anyone found that they put on a lot of weight whilst taking cerazette??I have put on nearly a stone in the past 6 months, I have been watching what I eat and exercising as much as I can.

Did anyone else have this problem? I am thinking about going to the doctors and asking for a change.

Looked up information on this form of BC and like many other pill forms, one of the side effects is weight gain. Talk to you doctor about it and tell him/her that you are looking for something that doesn't have a high side effect of weight gain - your doctor should be a bit concerned if it's a big amount in a short time because it isn't healthy for anyone. I was on a shot form of BC not too long ago and within a year had gained 50 lbs (3.57143 stones). That is what I'm currently trying to get off my body after not being on it for over 2 years. She switched me to another form (Nuvaring in the US - google it) and it's been the best choice for me.