Help me Diet

Options
I've never been skinny but after having my daughter I gained a lot of weight due to postpartum depression. I went for my yearly check up yesterday and I'm having some medical problems they haven't quite pinpointed yet. My OB-GYN would like me to go on a 1500 calorie/day diet. I'm fine with this; and hoping that her telling me to do this will get my behind in gear to lose this weight :)

The problem I'm having since logging my food on here is I've went from eating unhealthy to eating too little. I'm a working mom w/ 2 jobs, so I'm home very little. I had a banana for breakfast and lunch I made a large salad with some turkey sliced on it. That hasn't even got me close to 1500 calories. How do I eat all my calories and still be healthy?

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Replies

• 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I find that eating 5 to 6 times a day - breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack - keeps me from being too hungry and gets me to the calories I need to be at daily.

Good luck!!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Look a my diary and that will give you an ides of how I generally eat :-)
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are one busy Momma, I'm not very good at it yet, (I'm trying to get better) but if you could take a few minutes one day and plan your food for the week, or at least the next day it would be so helpful so you don't have to worry about getting something on the go or you haven't packed enough to eat. That way you can input it on here the day or week before and see how many calories you need to add... or delete from your day. Best of luck!
  • kathleenpenrod
    kathleenpenrod Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to keep a variety of things with me at all times. Make sure your have some proteins (cheese or jerky or tuna or nuts), some vitamin-rich stuff (ftuits, veggies) and some higher calorie/higher energy stuff too (small granola bar, crackers). This way if you don't have time at all during the day, you can munch away. If you select time, you can decide which item fits your remaining calories/cravings/needs the best. You can also write the calories on each baggie if you wanted to remind yourself. Just be careful with snacking. Be aware that cummulatively this is like a meal - too many 100 calorie snacks can add up!

Good luck on your weight loss journey!
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Look a my diary and that will give you an ides of how I generally eat :-)

Half the things in your diary I've never even heard of.
  • healthygrl
    healthygrl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Totally off subject....

aschavel - I LOVE your kitty photo! That is too cute.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I also have snacks in between i try not to go over 250 in snacks during the whole day to help the hunger. Try adding other items to your salad maybe cheese just not overdoing it. ( I don't add dressing, maybe some hummus on the side. Just throwing out some ideas.
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    I snack like it's nobody's business. Yogurt, granola bars, fruit, string cheese, carrot sticks,... anything and pretty much everything. Everything I listed except the yogurt you can stash in your purse and eat pretty much one handed whenever you get a chance or are hungry. I graze pretty much all day - I'm sure my co-workers think I'm crazy or just a pig, but oh well. It works for me.

Also, if all you had for breakfast is a banana, I'm guessing you're very rushed in the a.m. Getting some good solid calories in the a.m. in helps as well, especially if you're too busy to eat much all day long. It will also help you from feeling starving. If you like bananas, try a peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole grain bread. Still a one-handed food item, but more well rounded. with protein and such.

Boiled eggs are also a good snack and/or breakfast addition and will get you 70 calories.

Also, if you've been hitting the low-fat low cal items (like 60 calorie yogurt or something) try buying the regular version - I made my hubby switch from Activia light to Activia regular, because he was not even nearing his goal.

Another piece of advice though - with all my snacking, I like to try to log ahead of time, because it does add up quickly and before you know it you'll be at 1500. So planning ahead here is a must. If you're always, for example, about 300 calories short - only pack 300 cals worth of snacks in your purse.

Good luck!