97 years young: New personal training client

Options
I live in a retirement town, so I've trained people in their 90's before, but this guy is special. At age 97, Vern walks and does push ups every day, and throws in some 50 yard jogging during his walks to "keep the blood moving" he says. I love this guy. He's beyond stupendous! He may be training ME by the time we get done with a few sessions.:happy:

Replies

• CSJAN12014
    Options
    There's hope for us all then LOL
    Good on him & good on you for helping him :-)
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    I worked in aged care nursing for over 6 years and enjoyed every moment of it ..

I'm sure he is training you:flowerforyou:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding! If he already is in great shape for his age, what are his goals with the personal training?
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is so heartening! I keep looking at people in my age group and getting depressed knowing that I am one of the few who will be in good shape into my "golden years." I am thinking it is going to be getting very lonely.... Blessings to the BOTH of you!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JLN1974
    JLN1974 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I live in a retirement town, so I've trained people in their 90's before, but this guy is special. At age 97, Vern walks and does push ups every day, and throws in some 50 yard jogging during his walks to "keep the blood moving" he says. I love this guy. He's beyond stupendous! He may be training ME by the time we get done with a few sessions.:happy:

That's great. My husband has been out cycled by 90 year olds in the local cycling club before. Puts us relatively young'uns to shame!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    A while back they asked people if they'd like to live to be 100 and most said they'd only like to live into their 80's. But I figure they're thinking of most people being inactive & very unhealthy in their 80's. The question should have been, if you choose to stay healthy & active, would you like to live to be 100. Danny Trejo (Machete) is in his 70's & is super muscular & fit.
  • cazcarr89
    Options
    If he can do it then theres no excuses for us!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    That is outstanding! If he already is in great shape for his age, what are his goals with the personal training?

Well, he certainly doesn't need me for motivation. But he wants to add some variety to his workout, and do some more strength training and learn it correctly. He's moving into a facility with more equipment. So I will add to his routine, a little at a time. I don't want to mess with a good thing.
  • trainerbarb
    Options
    There's a man at my gym (not one of my clients) who is 95, swims a mile every day, still lives independently, still drives. I wanna be like him!