How to eat good on a budget??

Options
Hello everyone, I am new to this site and new to trying to change my eating habits & lifestyle. It is very hard for me to figure out how to eat healthy foods when I am on a very strict income monthly. I guess the old saying that "good food ain't cheep, and cheep food ain't good" really applies here today. I just see myself becoming more and more frustrated at not being able to afford some of the things I know can make such a huge difference in my diet. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Thanks for being here.

Replies

• Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Well, i understand your predicament.
    I think that one important thing to realize is that a big part of eating healthy is not eating processed foods. The least transformed the food, the better nutrional qualities they have and the more you control what goes into the recipe. (No extra sugars, no extra palm oil etc.)

This means that you need to be ready to spend some time prepping veggies, condiments, garlic, onions, herbs that will load your dish with flavors without loading them with fat. You will need time to shop, cook and store/freeze your preparations.

If you look at the cost of fresh veggies and fruit, especially when they are in season or on sale, you'll find it is often cheaper by the pound than processed stuff. If not, just imagine the non existent nutritional quality of those processed foods. You don't want to eat that anyway.

With a bit of planning, buying in bulk and freezing, cooking large quantities then freezing in handy one portion sizes, it is doable. It takes time but it can be done. It needs to be done.

Also, eggs are rather inexpensive and has great nutrional value.

I find that meat and fish are expensive. So, i turn to cheaper alternative : canned sardines and tuna, eggs are always wonderful and Textured soy proteins. When cooked properly, they can replace ground beef in recipes *almost* seemlessly.

You could also keep track of your budget like you track cals in MFP. Input all the money that oes toward food, including meals and snacks taken outside the home. You may find room for improvement you didn't think of.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Stay away from packaged processed cereals like bran flakes, corn flakes, oats, the whole lot of them.
    They are great for the manufacturers as they are a cheap product pressed through rollers then sugar and other additives added and sold at a ridiculous price for what they are.

Switch to rolled oats the 15 minute variety , or steel cut oats {just a different process but adds varieity and change } Cook up a big pot of the stuff, Put the rest in glass or plastic container scoop out 3/4 cup daily add a dash of water to make moist again and reheat in the microwaver for 1 min. then add 12/tsp of honey and use unsweetened almond milk or 1% milk , I happen to like the nutty flavor of almond milk.

I use this daily. Great source of fiber, nutrients it keeps me full much longer than packaged processed cereals it releases its energy more slowly, great for blood sugar and equally important it saves me $$$$.

I always have a bit of fruit on the side 1/2 a banana. , plum , ,blueberries , 1/2 orange, apple whatever as long as it is fresh.

To save dollars I shop every 2 days at my local market and pick up small amounts of fresh veggies and fruits.

I build my menu up from
    1. whole grain bread from the bakery not the shelf {check out the shelf stuff full of additives}
    2. Rolled Oats
    3. Whole wheat pasta
    3. 3 cups of fresh veggies daily
    4. about 2 cups of fresh fruit

Then add the protiens either through
    1. hummus
    2. Lo fat Greek Yogurt
    3. Eggs
    4. Canned waterpacked tuna
    5. Veal
    6. Lean Ground Beef
    5. Chicken

Now that it is summer fresh fish. Salmon is expensive , I buy half a pound and eat half one day the other half the next day
    Red Snapper is not expensive and a good substitute.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    BBC has some Great Documentaries on Food , maybe because they are not in hawk for the advertising dollars from the Food Giants
    This is part 5 of 6 and has some great info
    The truth about Food:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_0spCGvvNI

You definitely want to stay away from those ready to eat lo fat processed foods.
    Whats worse is that many include binding ingredients of duck feathers and methol cellulose {read your labels]
    the last ingredient is the major component for wall paper paste.

The truth about the fat low fat diet a newsprint article:
    http://www.motleyhealth.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-big-fat-truth-about-low-fat-foods-on-the-bbc
    you can watch the video on you tube

and for deceptive marketing practices, what is being sold as healthy is not
    The men who made us fat part 3
    part 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student that has to keep a tight budget. The biggest tip I can give you is to PLAN. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. Make a plan for your meals and snacks for the week. Make a list based off of those meals and take that list to the store with you. What sometimes happens is that you'll realize that you're buying too much or planning meals that only require you to use one ingredient once that week and you'll learn to economize based on the foods that you have. It will also save you from snacking on extra food in the house. If all you have is the stuff you'll need for meals and snacks for you and your family for the week, you won't be tempted to eat all the extras laying around.

So, what do I mean on economizing with food for the week? Let's say, for example that you like Spaghetti squash (but your family will only eat spaghetti pasta), and you're only planning on having it once that week. It stays good once shredded for up to five days. Take it for lunch (or if you work at home, heat it up with some sauce for lunch) and use it up. It'll save you money, keep you from wasting food, and still keep your meals healthy. There are definitely ways to reinvent leftovers or make themed meals over the week so that you use what you have without having to go to the store and overspend all week long.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a grad student that has to keep a tight budget. The biggest tip I can give you is to PLAN. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN. Make a plan for your meals and snacks for the week. Make a list based off of those meals and take that list to the store with you. What sometimes happens is that you'll realize that you're buying too much or planning meals that only require you to use one ingredient once that week and you'll learn to economize based on the foods that you have. It will also save you from snacking on extra food in the house. If all you have is the stuff you'll need for meals and snacks for you and your family for the week, you won't be tempted to eat all the extras laying around.

So, what do I mean on economizing with food for the week? Let's say, for example that you like Spaghetti squash (but your family will only eat spaghetti pasta), and you're only planning on having it once that week. It stays good once shredded for up to five days. Take it for lunch (or if you work at home, heat it up with some sauce for lunch) and use it up. It'll save you money, keep you from wasting food, and still keep your meals healthy. There are definitely ways to reinvent leftovers or make themed meals over the week so that you use what you have without having to go to the store and overspend all week long.

The other thing you can do is to make your own freezer meals. If you want to buy something that maybe costs a little more (lean ground beef, for example), but is healthier, try to find a way to incorporate it into meals that you can freeze and have over the month. Then, you're getting your money's worth, but you don't have to worry about having to replace it every week. I buy Whole Food's lean ground turkey in bulk, which costs a pretty penny (even if I do save money buy buying in bulk), but I take it home and freeze it in individual portions and defrost in the fridge when I need it. It's healthy, it saves me money and I don't have to compromise on quality. Your freezer can be your friend without Lean Cuisines!
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Beans are cheap and good for you. I cook 1 lb at a time in the slow cooker, portion them into ziploc bags and freeze. Then I'll add them to a breakfast burrito, tacos, salad, etc.

Rice is also cheap. I buy brown basmati rice, I like the nutty flavor.

Buying frozen chicken breasts can save money, too.

If you can, buy some things in bulk. I buy large containers of plain greek yogurt. Over the course of a month, I use it in TONS of recipes and it costs about $6 for a big tub of fage or $3 for generic if you can find it.
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    I know this won't work for everyone but I've largely cut out meat other than whole chicken and occasionally pork. I am also on a food budget so seafood is my favorite but it's less frequent than I would like. I always buy salmon when it's at a fair price.

I also cut out most dairy except parmesan and greek plan yogurt as well as most bread except for sometimes I really want a tuna sandwich or over easy eggs on healthy toast. I keep the bread in the freezer and toast it straight from frozen and it works great.

Not spending a bunch of money on meat has really helped with the grocery bill and it makes me appreciate meat more when I have it.

I feel like a real jerk when I don't buy humanely and healthy raised meat which bolsters my avoidance.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    Yes , I forgot about rice, look for wild rice or mix wild and brown together, I buy in bulk from the bins and store.

Food I make and freeze. I am a lasgana lover and will make it with lean beef, add spinach on top for one layer , cut up lots of tomatoes and blend [fresh crushed tomtos for sauce] add small can tomatoe paste , parsley , onions, green bell pepper add flavor I like to add a dash of cinnamon to mine and nutmeg and parselfy to the ricotta cheese mixutre, and I do give into ricotta cheese on top with a sprinkling of parsey.

I cut them up into individual servings and put in plastic containers and freeze.
    I treat myself once a week . I offset with an extra 20 minutes walking.

Also lean ground beef, fresh cut up tomatoes blended, tomato paste onions and I add a veg to the mix to a make a meaty veggie sauce. I freeze up in containers and take out as needed for a whole wheat pasta and meat sauce. Makes your ground beef go a long way.

Chicken soup with noodles is another good , add lots of fresh veggies, cook up and freeze .

That way I have lots of healthy choices I can pull out of the freezer and defrost. Ready to go and no additives.

ALSO IMPORTANTLY I use fresh Hummus , 2 tbsps. and mix with my pasta , Hummus is made from Chick Peas which is high in protein and great sub for meat. Along with a dash of ground pepper and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese it is very tasty.

Beans and bean salads, your own homemade salad, are a great source of protein.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    P.S. my favorite item is tzatziki sauce, Greek style with lemon garlic and dill. You can do it with low fat yogurt or low fat sour cream or just buy from the store

It is really tasty on top of wild/brown rice, beefs up the flavor and makes a nice dressing or dip for fresh veggies.
  • mzione904
    mzione904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am also on a tight budget and buying fresh fruits and veggies at a farmer's market, Trader Joes or Sprouts (here in TX but not sure if it's nationwide yet) has been a lifesaver. Often they sell fruits/veggies by pound and it's very economical. Plus i've discovered that fresh veggies taste better than frozen.

Also, agree with everyone that you really have to plan your meals/snacks and shop accordingly. Keep recipes simple but tasty. Eggs double as breakfast and a snack so try to find items that can multi-task in your diet.
  • Minnie2361
    Options
    I agree , planning is important. It is thinking out your weekly meal time,

Also never shop when you are hungry. Shop the outside perimeter aisles and stay as far away from the center aisles as you can. That is where the chips, tortillas, sodas, cookies , pops , granola and all other bars, candy included and all prepackaged baked goods,plus the gimmick items such as the slims fats and diet bars are located.

Out of sight out of mind,

Watch out for low fat labels, low fat means added sugar to make it taste good.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Get your proteins, fats and calories right.
    Get as much veg as you can.
    Eat what you want.
    Enjoy life.
  • steve8a
    steve8a Posts: 4
    Options
    emeals.com has a variety of meal plans (recipes) that are healthy and cheap. What I like about it is that each week I get a menu and a shopping list. You can specify what market you shop at and it will list the items for that store and the prices. I signed up to save money. the shopping list keeps me from buying too much food or stuff that I don't need. The recipes are quick and easy to follow. I am using them to teach my kids how to cook.

they now offer a weight loss menu that is helping me with portion sizes. The cost of the subscription ($5 per month) is well worth it.I save more than that by reducing wasted food goes bad and ends up in the garbage can.
  • stepplax
    stepplax Posts: 26
    Options
    I hit my macros with wholegrain breads, oatmeal, WITH FAT greek yogurt (find on sale for $1 a pop), natural peanut butter (kinda expensive), avocado(kinda expensive), canned chicken, bulk flash frozen chicken breasts, bulk flash frozen fish, and tons of fat free cottage cheese. Just fill up on water and virtually calorie free veggies when needed. I try to buy in bulk, buy at Costco, shop weekly ads sometimes, and wait for sales. I DO NOT, however, obsess about it or spend a bunch of time traveling to 5 different stores a week.

Favorite meal lately-
    Taco seasoning + baked or grilled flash frozen fish or chicken
    Homemade pico or salsa - tomato, jalapeno, onion, garlic, and salt basically
    thin slices of avocado
    Refried or black beans
    Bib lettuce

Just put a little of everything into a scoop shaped leaf of bib lettuce and enjoy!

Just log everything and then pre-measure it before serving it to yourself. SO good, good for you, cheap, scalable, and tweakable for different macros or calorie restrictions. Good luck!
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    My husband and I have a $120 month grocery budget, and we do eat healthy. I do this by only buying things on sale, using coupons whenever possible, and planning. Using coupondivas.com, you can match up available coupons with store ads.

I check the store ad(s) and then figure out what are good deals. From there, I build my menu. So if chicken and colored bell peppers are on sale, I will plan to make fajitas.

When you find something on a good sale, buy 1 for this week, and 1 or 2 for the following week. Then you will be able to combine this week's sale with next week's sale to make a cheaper meal!

Grocery shop weekly if possible - that's how you score the most sales.

Find out what things you don't actually need. For instance, you don't need to buy tomato paste when you can buy diced tomatoes for cheaper and just simmer on the stove for about 15 minutes.

Limit protein sources; I stick with chicken, turkey, eggs, and beans.
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    "my husband and me" not "my husband and I". Sorry, I had to... people do that so, so much and it drives me insane. Grammar Nazi mode off.

eating healthy on a budget is easy. Chicken breasts, frozen veggies, tuna, etc. The only things you really have to worry about avoiding when on a budget are sodium and trans fats. The rest is just hype... plenty of processed foods are fine to eat, frozen meals are too (assuming you check for sodium and calorie content). It might not be the most optimum diet possible, but it's miles ahead of fast food and ramen noodles.
  • shawnatheobald
    Options
    "my husband and me" not "my husband and I". Sorry, I had to... people do that so, so much and it drives me insane. Grammar Nazi mode off.

My husband and I is correct, actually:

http://www.studyenglishtoday.net/english-grammar-using-I-and-me.html
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/us/words/i-or-me
    http://www.wikihow.com/Sample/I-and-Me-Usage

If you are going to Grammar Nazi, do it right :)
  • joshdann
    Options

read towards the end of that first link you posted: "The easiest way to decide whether "I" or "me" is correct is to make the sentence using only "I" and see if it makes sense" - this always works :). See also example #2 on the second and third links you posted.

The way you wrote it, "I feed my husband and me for $120/mo" is correct. If you had said "My husband and I eat for $120/mo", then that would have been correct.

edit: grammar nazi'ing myself here - really, "my husband and myself" is the correct way to fix your original post :)
  • shawnatheobald
    Options

read towards the end of that first link you posted: "The easiest way to decide whether "I" or "me" is correct is to make the sentence using only "I" and see if it makes sense" - this always works :). See also example #2 on the second link you posted.

The way you wrote it, "I feed my husband and me for $120/mo" is correct. If you had said "My husband and I eat for $120/mo", then that would have been correct.

edit: grammar nazi'ing myself here - really, "my husband and myself" is the correct way to fix your original post :)

Sorry I apparently forgot what I wrote. Edited.
  • joshdann
    Options
    I will count this as my NSV for today ;)