Why Oh WHY did I eat that Donut Hole???

Options
I am soo mad at myself...I have done so good since joining here and changing the way I eat..I am a big stress eater and am trying to change my thought process..These last couple weeks have been very stressful..I also was on some antibiotics and ended up going up 5 pounds, when I never once cheated...I, as this morning, am back down that 5 pounds..YAY! So, what did I do?? I bought the kiddos some donut holes for breakfast...and haven't even given them another thought, then I find myself in the kitchen, arguing with myself, why I should not eat any..well, I caved and ate just ONE! and I actually felt like throwing it up I was so mad at myself..Then I of course had to add it to my food plan, and that little sucker had 3 grams of FAT!! Now I know, one little donut hole isn't a huge deal, and won't make me gain all my weight back, it's just soo frustrating that I have such a hard time not falling back into old patterns..I mean I KNOW if I want to lose weight and reach my goal, I need to stay on my plan and exercise...so why do I sabatoge myself?? For any of you who are going thru this, or even reached your goal, does the thought process ever changer?? Or will I struugle with it the rest of my life???

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, ppl bring doughnuts into work and I never have any, but donut holes seem so innocent! Really though you need to take it easy on yourself, you could have eaten a lot more than just one of them, and you logged it and have realized that it wasn't worth it to you to eat it. Remember that this has to be a lifestyle change and in order to sustain this for the rest of your life you need to have treats in moderation. We will encounter setbacks along the way but as long as we keep trying we will get where we want to go!
  • Avalon203
    Options
    Do not beat yourself up about it!! Ive been back on the dieting wagon for a week and a half now so cant honestly say whether that thought process changes BUT I know that all the failed attempts I have had with trying to lose weight have failed when I have cheated and had something 'bad', then just sort of thought, might as well have some more...then just gradually eaten worse and worse.... The best thing to do is allow the occasional treat but keep in mind that you are trying to change yourself for the better and as long as after the treat you carry on eating the right food and doing your exercise! Good luck :-)
  • jamesrreed
    jamesrreed Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't be too hard on yourself. The fact that you are discouraged by eating a donut hole shows that you are taking this very seriously. You are doing very well. Continued best.
  • tissyazd
    tissyazd Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say that if I want a donut hole, I eat a donut hole! Don't beat yourself up!!! You are doing so well!! I personally don't think it is realistic to cut out everything! I don't and I have so far lost 33 pounds. Just log it and move on. Just my way of thinking though....Good luck! You are seriously doing a great job!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Girl, I say eat the doughnut hole. I killed myself for four months refusing any sweets and I would eventually binge. In the last two months I've allowed myself SMALL indulgences when they fit in my calories. A few squares of Hersheys, whole milk, italian ice. It hasnt stunted my loss and no more binges. Skinny and fit people eat junk food, they just eat in moderation. :)
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    Don't be so mad at yourself. Yesterday i grabbed a cookie and i've been losing about 1-2 lbs per week depending. I was the same weight both mornings, yesterday morning and this morning. I was amazed. One dounut or one cookie won't hurt you. A small slice of cake won't make you terrible. Its when you have more than one. I also stock up with things that taste like my craving. For example chocolate pudding cups or key lime pie yogurt. They help me and only have about 150 calories or less. Its an easy small snack that helps me when i want the cookie or cake or brownie mix. Keep working at it. I've been fustrated too because i stick to it and i just feel like its not coming off nearly as fast as i packed it on. I also found that the less sugary things i eat the less i crave them, so maybe that will help. Also the more protein i eat the less i want sugar. Hope that helps you. Don't give up. If you need a buddy, add me as a friend.
  • Beebee78
    Options
    At least you recognised what you had done and are mad at yourself. Don't beat yourself up though - you're human and to err is human! This is a new hour and you know how it would make you feel if you slipped up again.

Massive hugs xxx
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    You just gotta learn, food isnt bad, one donut hole isnt bad, its just learning about moderation, I wouldnt have even thought anything negative about it, you gotta live a little
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You will ALWAYS be faced with things like this. Yes, it would've been better had you not eaten it, but you actually did pretty darn well in my book by only eating one!! So, learn from this: figure out what you can tell yourself next time to stop yourself from eating it. Also, realize that every now and then you're going to have a not-so-great food choice that you have to log - this is a lifestyle change, and almost no-one can realistically go the rest of their life without eating anything that's "bad" for them... but as long as you log it, take responsibility/be aware of what you've eaten (and maybe workout an extra 5 or 10 minutes later), and it's not an everyday thing, then you really have nothing to fret about.

Edited to add: P.S. if it makes you feel any better, I'm someone who has been doing this for a year, losing weight pretty regularly and is generally very proud of my food diary... but I just gulped down a whole donut (rather than a donut hole :laugh: ) Do I wish I had said no? Yes. But am I going to beat myself up over it? No. I'm created a plan: Next time someone puts donuts on the counter, I'm going to ask myself if it's really worth the sugar headache and the extra 20 minutes I need to exercise tonight to burn it off. Chances are, I'll say no next time! Learn from it, and move on.
  • bperez14
    Options
    Better the "hole" than the "whole" donut! I say that you showed restraint by just having one! Well done! :)
  • 11kimberly11
    11kimberly11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I agree, the last time I lost a decent amount of weight it was because I was exercising, eating sensibly (counting my calories with the help of MFP) AND allowing myself that one donut hole, that tiny sliver of cake, one spoonful of yummy loaded mashed potatoes,etc.... I did it to prevent feeling deprived and binging and it works. I truly believe its a must do! Forget about it!
  • Damage483
    Options
    Andee, I know a lot of folks on here are nodding their heads (including me) because we know all too well the struggles and temptations. There will be those weak moments and, unfortunately, we will sometimes have a misstep or two. I can only speak from experience in saying that it is a struggle that I believe I will deal with for a long time because I had such bad eating habits. I also berate myself but I realize that I can't beat myself up over it and make myself even more miserable. I just have to always be conscious of that struggle and continue to try to do what's right. I wish you nothing but the best and hope that you don't beat yourself silly over a lapse like this. You are showing your strength with overcoming your recent stressful situations. So you know that you can overcome this too. Perhaps in the future, bypass getting the kiddos those donut holes and cut up some fruit for them? I had to do that very thing. Take care and best wishes.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh! I did this yesterday!!! When I went to log it in my diary I almost died over how many calories they were and I had two! I thought about them all day!!! Then I just thought, "WHATEVER! Tomorrow I won't eat any donut holes!"

I say, eat the donut hole one day then don't eat one the next! You're human!
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't beat yourself up so bad. I think that it's these negative thoughts that eat away at us and make us fall off the wagon. I do it too! Sometimes we have to eat that donut hole that makes us feel sick so that we won't do that again. You CAN DO THIS!!!
  • sherry_80
    sherry_80 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You sound like me... donut friday for my kids, i take them to get donuts only on friday and they have to had there homework done by then and no bad conduct at school.
    This is for all 3, if they don't all do it, no one else gets it.
    This friday my son broke the treat. So no donuts this friday.

I tell you this, it took several times for me to get my will power against the donuts.

Now i have to work on the candy.... and halloween is coming up.!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. This is a lifestyle change and its unrealistic to think you'll never eat another 'bad' thing for the rest of your life. I have a sweet treat every day as part of my allowance :bigsmile: