I am astounded by this article.....

Options
2»

Replies

• EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get this sentiment from the weight loss clinic that I tried.

They bullied me when I had trouble eating right when I lost 2 family members a week apart, and a third family member had a life changing, paralyzing stroke.

They told me not to exercise because it could slow weight loss (yeah, because I might actually build muscle.)

They basically started y eating disorder, because that is where the guilt started over eating. Right there in there office.

I won't get that apology, but what I CAN do is warn other women I know who think about shelling over $300-$400 a month to be belittled and talked down to in an attempt to shame you into eating less. When we wer on a 800 calorie plan that was half supplements that tasted like cardboard.

ETA: by "bullied me" I mean, I was in the office crying my eyes out over losing my uncle, and they took out my food diary and said "what do you think he would say about his neice who is 100 pounds overweight eating like this?" UHM Biotch I think he would tell me to punch you in the face, honestly!! And I still went back, for more harassment. If I *ONLY* lost 1 pound in a week, it was a half hour of how I was failing :noway:
  • DVaughan1975
    DVaughan1975 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I wish I could get this sentiment from the weight loss clinic that I tried.

They bullied me when I had trouble eating right when I lost 2 family members a week apart, and a third family member had a life changing, paralyzing stroke.

They told me not to exercise because it could slow weight loss (yeah, because I might actually build muscle.)

They basically started y eating disorder, because that is where the guilt started over eating. Right there in there office.

I won't get that apology, but what I CAN do is warn other women I know who think about shelling over $300-$400 a month to be belittled and talked down to in an attempt to shame you into eating less. When we wer on a 800 calorie plan that was half supplements that tasted like cardboard.

ETA: by "bullied me" I mean, I was in the office crying my eyes out over losing my uncle, and they took out my food diary and said "what do you think he would say about his neice who is 100 pounds overweight eating like this?" UHM Biotch I think he would tell me to punch you in the face, honestly!! And I still went back, for more harassment. If I *ONLY* lost 1 pound in a week, it was a half hour of how I was failing :noway:
    I am sorry you went through all of that with the loss of your family members and then being treated poorly by the company you trusted to help you. Years ago, I went to one of those places and weighed 145 lbs. The lady said to me "it doesn't have to be this way forever". I didn't go back.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    1200 calories for a woman that's 5'2 and 150lbs trying to get to 120lbs or 115lbs is FINE. Nothing wrong with it what so ever, I eat 1700 to 1800 calories a day as a 274lbs man and its plenty of food and I'm losing weight. A small woman trying to lose that last 30 pounds or so is not going to eat much over 1200 calories a day. Especially If they aren't extremely active...

Yeah... if you want me to turn into a serial killer... I am 5'1" and practically starve on 1200 calories... so much so I get cranky!!! Even at sedentary or lightly active.

Anyway to topic... the article is ok... I tended to skim it because it just seemed a bit whiney to me... but that's just my opinion.
  • dani_bee
    dani_bee Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Diet corporations aren't evil. If she wants to apologize for giving some bad advice then fine but she certainly doesn't speak for all weight loss corps and society as a whole. >:o
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    nice article but it just tells you why not to eat 1200 calories. It doesn't say what IS a healthy way to eat.

Yes it does. She advocates eating whole foods, not worrying so much/nitpicking about numbers, and moving your body because you want to, not because you have to. Its in there, you just have to read it.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The part about loving yourself is cool, I'm just not seeing what she did that was so wrong, She just seemed to overreact a bit. The advice she gave when working for the weight loss company want bad. Nothing wrong with the calorie limits, nothing wrong with encouraging someone to "get back on the bandwagon".

The real issue here is the all-or-nothing approach most people have to this health thing. I would wager that most of the eating disorders we have today, especially binge eating disorder, can be attributed to diet books, clinics, magazines, gurus, etc. Most diets (not all, but most) are rigorous and strict, leading to an all-or-nothing mentality that is more damaging than helpful. She was feeling responsible for pushing people down this path of black and white failure vs success. Getting on the bandwagon indicates you fell off, meaning you failed and the best thing to do is to get back on and not fail again. Not a healthy mind-set.

We all need to relax a little bit, eat real food, not drive ourselves and others around us crazy about using this MFP tool, and just live our lives. 1200 calories is not enough to be healthy, but it is a good number to lose weight. The thing is, ANY active person, with few exceptions, should be eating more than that. Eat healthy, whole, real foods and if you want to lose weight get more active. That is the right path to real health (not necessarily weight loss, but often they go hand in hand). Use this as a tool to figure out roughly how much you are eating on a regular basis, how many calories you regularly burn, and then listen to your body after that. Use it as a tool, not a crutch or dictator...