My weight loss is slow. Do I need to eat more calories?

Options

Replies

• smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You said you were on vacation in August, but here is July:
    Jul1 1-7 no tracking

You went over your calories a lot in July. I'm not judging, I just think you need a better perspective on what you're really eating. I'm not saying you should starve yourself, but you really should eat less if you want to lose weight faster. With 111lbs left to lose, you are ok eating under your BMR for a while. I would keep your goal at 1700-2000 and see what happens.
  • Jill_with_a_G
    Jill_with_a_G Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Rhye, I agree that you could get some more protein in your diet. Good for you for thinking in that direction. Try if you can to start eating more clean foods and not packaged snacks. They are FULL of sodium and sugar. Hard boil some eggs to have on hand or grab a can of tuna with some mayo and pickles. All are great sources of protein. A piece of cheese instead of crackers, that kind of things. Little substitutions can make a big difference, both in calories, and on your hunger scale. I stay fuller longer when I "snack" on protein instead of carbs. In fact, I don't really snack when it I eat higher protein/lower carbs. Carbs are a great source of energy when they are used for energy and just don't sit around.

Do you lift any weights? That's a great way to build the muscle that will help amp up your metabolism. If you do, don't rely on the scale so much as how your clothes fit and if you are losing body fat.

Hope this helps :)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Eating more calories seems like a really bad idea to me. Higher protein, more consistency.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I know the idea is that if you do that you will lose weight faster even than now, but what if I don't?

Actually, the idea is centered more around dietary adherence. The smaller your deficit is from maintenance (i.e. the more you eat), the slower weight loss will be. BTW...it's supposed to be slow...anything from 1/2 Lb to 2 Lbs per week is right where it should be.

Eat more to lose is really about the idea of a VLCD vs a sustainable deficit where you aren't deprived and hungry and cranky, etc. You lose slower...but adherence is usually better...thus less binge, secret eating, cheat days, etc, etc, etc...in the long run, people with more sustainable deficits tend to lose more consistently and often keep that weight off because they've just learned to eat better in the process.

Personally, I'd keep doing exactly what you're doing...this isn't a sprint, it's a marathon...you didn't put the pounds on over night, and they aren't coming off overnight. Do not compare your weight loss to others and shows like the biggest loser, etc. Much of that kind of stuff isn't "real"...and when you see people dropping a lot of pounds fast, most of that is water; you can only oxidize so much fat in a 24 hour period.

Just keep on keepin' on. If you aren't already, I'd suggest using a food scale for most things...especiall calorie dense things. It's far more accurate than measuring and way more accurate than just eyeballing. People are shocked when they actually weigh, for example, 30 grams of peanut butter vs. the alternative 2 Tbsp...just a hint, it's less than what most people would stuff into 2 Tbsp. If you're not weighing and measuring you could easily be consuming 20-30% more calories than you think you are.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm 31 and 257 pounds. I'm moderately active as I teach and I wear a pedometer every day so I get around 9500 steps/day. I have also had my thyroid check and full blood work because my doctor also thought there must be an underlying medical condition. However, I did have a health care provider mention two years ago that I could have PCOS. I guess since they never said anything more about it, I never thought anything more about it. I didn't know it lowered your BMR either.

Thanks everyone, I have no idea how I will manage on fewer calories but I guess it's time to try.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Wow, this the first time I can actually say this!! :laugh:

BUT you are eating to much, most likely over estimating your portion sizes. Forget the measuring cups, except liquids, you need to weigh EVERYTHING!!! Also you need to reduce your going out to eat all the time, maybe once a week or a few times a month?? Good luck.
  • lifethatgrows
    Options
    Good luck! I'm adding you, feel free to talk to me if you need support :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly when I had 70 lbs to lose, I went with the 'lose 1lb a week' goal on MFP and didn't eat my exercise calories back for a while because I had no idea how much it was... I started by eating 1650 a day, and have pretty much been eating that on and off since, I've just increased my activity to match that, and it's what TDEE-20% gives me now anyway (use http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to calculate your TDEE).

As others said too, weighing everything is extremely important, you can easily miscalculate everything by 30% or something if you use measuring spoons or cups... Food scales are cheap and the best investment you can make.

Your BF is probably over 31% - it's not something you can really calculate at home unless you have calipers and whatnot. Don't even worry about it, it shouldn't really affect your diet one way or another anyway.

Exercise, yeah your muscles might retain water for a while so you might not lose right away. It's ok. Keep doing it. Frankly I wasn't very active at all the first months, it just became easier, and now I typically just walk or workout one hour a day.

If you're worried you're going to starve, go with whole, filling foods. I ate a LOT of greek yogurt with fresh fruit the first month, and pretty much every snack I eat has some protein in it still. Lots of lean meats, fish etc.
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    To eat fewer calories - well oats for breakfast then eating lots of baked potatoes & oranges works for me.

Baked potatoes are easy to do at work, in the microwave, too... Them and oranges are really, really high in fibre, fill you up and keep you going.

Stick with it :-) xx
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "I am currently losing weight, so does it make sense to switch?"....i stopped reading here...if something's not broken, why fix it?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    "I am currently losing weight, so does it make sense to switch?"....i stopped reading here...if something's not broken, why fix it?

Well, she's looking to drop 111 pounds, has set over 1 lb/week, and is losing ~ 0.5 lbs/week. In her case, something is broken in her measurements or calculations.

Eating more isn't the answer, but losing faster than 0.5 lb/week when over 100 lbs overweight is perfectly reasonable.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    OP...I'm also noting a lot of inconsistency in your diary. This thing is all about consistency...consistently logging...consistently achieving your calorie goals...consistently weighing out your portions and measuring your liquids...consistency, consistency, consistency.
  • stinkypoopy
    stinkypoopy Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So I skimmed this but someone can tell me if this summary is wrong.

-You are losing weight albeit slowly and thinking of changing to a different plan that will increase total Cals.
    -Your current Cal target is 2100 and can't seem to get more than 50g of protein within that.
    -You have consistently gone over your daily Cal target.

Excuse me while I try to use what little tact I possess. Don't change and actually achieve your daily targets consistently and you will likely see far better results. You kind of lose the right to worry about your progress when you aren't meeting the goals you set for yourself. Your current progress is a result of not following your daily goals, not a fault of the goals itself.

We have a similar Cal target and I have no problem meeting my protein requirements (160 g). Having a really quick look through your last few days of logging you can do so much better by simply eating more meat. There are a few days were you didn't eat any meat (and no, that hotdog does not count as meat). And looking at other things in there, there is a whole bunch of rubbish that you can replace. I'm not a supporter for the 'clean eating' thing but seriously, look at what you are eating and fix it!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Just setting targets won't get you the results you want; you have to MEET your targets. Starting with your net calorie target, and including that very modest protein target. If you need more protein, eat protein-rich foods. I get over 100g nearly every day with a net calorie target of 1460. It's not hard, but you do have to actually think about what you're putting in your mouth. 50 grams of protein? You can get that in 200 calories, leaving 1,900 for whatever else you feel like consuming. Really, that's pretty darned easy. If you picked the worst option on the list below and ate 25 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan cheese (ugh, but do the math with me here) ... you could get your 50 grams of protein in only 525 calories. Still leaving you over 1,500 calories for anything else you want every day. No protein shakes required.

1 oz deli turkey - 25 calories - 6g protein (4.25 kcal/g)
    1 egg white - 17 calories - 4g protein (4.25 kcal/g)
    1/2 pound snow crab legs - 95 calories - 20g protein (4.25 kcal/g)
    6 oz chicken breast, cooked dry - 165 calories - 35g protein (4.7 kcal/g)
    2 oz Starkist tuna - 50 calories - 10g protein (5 kcal/g)
    1 oz deli ham - 36 calories - 6g protein (6 kcal/g)
    3.5 oz grilled rainbow trout - 126 calories - 18g protein (7 kcal/g)
    1 serving Siggi's skyr (strawberry) - 110 calories - 14g protein (7.86 kcal/g)
    1 portabello mushroom - 26 calories - 3g protein (8.67 kcal/g)
    1 egg - 70 calories - 8g protein (8.75 kcal/g)
    6 oz Chobani Greek yogurt (strawberry) - 140 calories - 14g protein (10 kcal/g)
    1 oz Swiss cheese - 90 calories - 9g protein (10 kcal/g)
    1 T shredded parmesan cheese - 21 calories - 2g protein (10 kcal/g)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    First congratulations on losing 28 pounds!! Awesome! I would suggest that you really try to cut back on carbohydrates in the form of breads,pasta and cereal. Start tracking your sugar intake. You might find you are eating a lot more than you realize. Add more veggies and eat more protein. You are not getting enough. BTW,I just got off a plateau and have been losing like crazy on my new eating plan. I have lost 7 pounds in 25 days. I feel fabulous. It starts out real low in calories and strict in what you eat for 2 weeks and slowly builds back up again for another 3 weeks by adding more calories, healthy foods only. The purpose is to reboot your body into losing fat again. Feel free to browse through my diary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I didn't look at your diary either... If you eat 2000 calories, you should easily have 120g of protein in that. You're eating way too many carbs. Try to change the settings to 40% carb, 30% fat, 30% protein. Protein will keep you full longer too.

Also I don't know what that rubharb scone is, but a generic entry of a high calorie food is often a bad idea, you could be off by 100 calories or more every time.

Anyway, if you're not weighing and still going over your calories a lot of the time, it's not really a wonder you're not losing very fast. You really need to look at what you're eating and make healthier choices. You're probably hungry a lot from all those carbs too.
  • rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Also I don't know what that rubharb scone is, but a generic entry of a high calorie food is often a bad idea, you could be off by 100 calories or more every time.

A rhubarb scone is a scone made of rhubarb. My husband baked these and told me the calorie content for each one based on what he put into them. Instead of asking him to list the entire recipe for me so that I could make it a food on MFP, I found a generic rhubarb scone and adjusted the amount until I hit the right calorie content.

Despite the common belief on this thread, I'm actually not an idiot.

After posting on a weight loss "help" thread I have never felt more discouraged and condescended to than this. I should have known better than to seek "help".

That being said, I do want to thank those who took their time to give me sage advice and words of encouragement. After this negative experience I have a new perspective on my mostly "lurking" status-- I think encouraging and helpful people are needed on these forums to counteract the negativity and the people who like to give advice without reading the OP post (Seriously, "Have you tried lifting weight?" Yes, have you tried reading words?).

Do I overeat? DUH IF I DID NOT I WOULD NOT HAVE STARTED AT 111 POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. But I try. Every day I try and I work and I sweat and I cry and if that fact that I don't always do perfectly makes you believe I am not trying, then you have never really challenged yourself.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    It's definitely possible. I do measure out or weigh portions a couple times a week to see if I am eyeballing correctly but a shamefully high amount of my food is pre-packaged processed foods so those calories at least I know. If this is happening, I think it's a minor effect. Or at least, I try to keep any "eyeballing" to a minimum.

It's good to weigh the portions you are eating even if it's prepackaged, in case the labelling is off, and there are, say, 2 servings in a package instead of 1. This has happened to me before.

A rhubarb scone is a scone made of rhubarb. My husband baked these and told me the calorie content for each one based on what he put into them. Instead of asking him to list the entire recipe for me so that I could make it a food on MFP, I found a generic rhubarb scone and adjusted the amount until I hit the right calorie content.

Even if my partner makes dinner and tells me what's in it, I always, always, add the recipe. Even though I'm sure he's not trying to be sneaky (and he uses MFP also), I need to be in control of my portions and know that I am logging as accurately as I can. Also, people can be bad at math.

You need to eat more protein. You already said you know you do, but you actually have to. Otherwise, you're losing lean body mass as well as fat when you do lose. You can easily swap a few things and up your protein intake. For example, try Greek yogurt with fruit instead of Yoplait.
  • awfuldaring
    awfuldaring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    People are being way harsh. I don't have any advice, but I hope you aren't discouraged by a couple replies on here! People tend to be upset when others don't make the same extreme lifestyle changes that they do. You're doing great and losing. Just continue doing your best. <3<3 Have a good day, don't agonize about mfp and its users! (Reducing carbs and upping protein really does help with feeling satisfied though, in my experience.)
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing...
    all of the calculators are necessary only if/because you don't have actual data about your own actual body. But you do have that.
    Average out your last month in calories. Subtract 500 calories a day. Hit your numbers consistently (as in, within 50 calories in either direction). Try that for a month and see how it feels?

But listen -- you're ahead of the game, actually. You already know you can lose at 2500 calories plus. You're not losing at 1200, desperately hungry all the time, and terrified of bumping it up. And being able to log no matter what your intake requires courage. MFP is chock-a-block full of intermittent loggers...you see the good days, and the partly good days, but then blank days....you're looking at the situation with clear eyes and that is probably the hardest part :)