current barriers to weight loss, 100 pounds + to lose

lizziecheek
lizziecheek Posts: 65 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
What are barriers to meeting your fitness goals?

Mine are currently:

In a lot of pain due to obesity, inactivity and stiff muscles, makes it difficult to exercise

sit at a desk all day and work from home, have been averaging for a long time 400-1000 steps per day

find myself avoiding getting out and socializing due to how I look, keeps me in my house, makes me more vulnerable to binging

Replies

• Paulgrahamleppard
    Paulgrahamleppard Posts: 1 Member
    I have had problems with my right knee after I started with my daily walks - which slowed me down in July. I have changed fotware & surface. This combined with dropping over 30lbs has helped. Did check with the doctor who said keep going but manage it, & build in rests. Little & often.

This may be helpful...
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/10-tips-losing-100-pounds-or-more

Good luck:smile:smile:
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    +1 for getting good shoes. just taking a walk around the block every night is a great start. Once you start to drop pounds and condition your muscles, you will be more physically capable and more willing to do more. Ramp yourself up!
  • mekansou
    mekansou Posts: 3 Member
    My body it's self .... As I make changes to diet and exercise habits. My body is protesting the changes by getting sick and health problems I never have experienced before have arose. However, after a brief fall off the wagon, I've picked my self up and am getting back on track again. As for my body well it's coming along thowing a temper tantrum here or there as it goes. I know if I stay focused this too will pass.
  • newfette81
    newfette81 Posts: 185
    Physically, I have a lot of lower back pain from a car accident I had a few years ago, it makes walking painful and running damn near impossible. to work around this I do a lot of core exercises to try and strengthen the muscles and I walk on a treadmill on an incline for as long as I can before getting on a bike and getting a real good workout!

Internally I have a hypo-active thyroid which we all know pretty much kills any metabolism i had so it makes losing weight excruciatingly slow...

but you know what they say, slow and steady wins the race!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    I did not begin to exercise until after I lost 100 pounds last October. My knees were terrible.
    Now, I use the elliptical for 1 hour and take a walk for 1 hour daily M-F. Sat & Sun I walk for 2 hours.
    You will be surprised at how losing that much weight can make exercising easier.
    Best of luck to you!

P.S. I will be 62 at the end of September. You can do it too!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    In a lot of pain due to obesity, inactivity and stiff muscles, makes it difficult to exercise

Start with lower impact workouts - or no workouts. Exercise is not required to lose weight.
    sit at a desk all day and work from home, have been averaging for a long time 400-1000 steps per day

Me too. Before I started, my main exercise was bathroom trips and going upstairs to eat. Sometimes going shopping with my wife would be my big workout for the week.
    find myself avoiding getting out and socializing due to how I look, keeps me in my house, makes me more vulnerable to binging

I've never "binged", but my social life declined severely when I started working from home.

You have 163 lbs to lose - I started dieting on 1/1/2013 at 311 with 136 pounds planned to lose. I've lost about 95 of those pounds so far.

I started exercising on 2/13/2013. From walking a mile I've worked up to 3+ mile interval runs 5 days a week.

And socially, I have a great new group of friends with whom I play beach volleyball and go out and regularly run charity runs (5k's etc).

IMO, You don't have barriers. You may have challenges that need to be overcome. Don't let them become excuses.

You can definitely do this.
This discussion has been closed.