Running 5 Miles Tonight!

Options
Shooting for my goal of 5 miles! The most I've gone without stopping (or dying) is a little over 4.

I'm usually good once I get a few miles in, but sometimes between that 1-2 mile marker it is hard to convince myself to just keep going. I get bad leg cramps but they usually go away after the 2nd mile.

Any advice on motivation to push through it while I'm running? I've already got my songs lined up :)

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Any advice on motivation to push through it while I'm running?

don't stop running
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Motivation for pushing through....hmm....

Slow down. Make sure you are running in the effort that will help you complete the 5 miles.

Don't be scared to walk if you need to. I mean really, if you need to walk for a minute then walk for a minute. I have never honestly heard anyone say "I ran 49 minutes and walk one" (assuming a 10 min mile here) or "I ran 4.90 miles and walked .10 of a mile", I have only heard, "I ran 5 miles" or "I ran 50 minutes".

The biggest thing...just make sure you out run the Blerch. The Blerch is all that matters. Defeat him and you can run a marathon.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options
    Haha, thank you!

I had no idea what the "blerch" was, then I found this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Haha, thank you!

I had no idea what the "blerch" was, then I found this: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

This was an awesome read, I will have to go back and read the other parts, thanks for sharing.

You can do it. I just worked up to 5 miles it is a great feeling. I am hopping to get to 6 by next week. I do walk parts and am using the 10K Trainer App. Slow your pace down if need be.

You could also map out the run first so you go so far that you are forced to get past 5 miles.:flowerforyou:
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great music, whatever inspires you! I am up to 3 miles continuous running, after being totally grounded with severe knee arthritis for several years. Weight loss (75 pounds) and building up all the muscles around my knees got my doctor to clear me for running. I am so excited to be able to do 3 miles, and can't wait to work up to 5 (since like you the first few miles always feel bad to me, and I have to go more than a couple of miles to get into my groove). Good luck! Oh, another thought. I wear a little belt that holds 4 plastic water bottles, and I fill them with electrolyte solution (I use sugar free Ultima). This stops me from getting cramps, and keeps me hydrated. I hate to have a dry mouth when I run.