I just ran my first 5k! So happy!

mockchoc
mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
This morning in the dark (so I wouldn't look stupid) I just attempted my first 5K run ever outside and I made it! I knew not to try to run too fast when you are just getting into running so it took me 37 minutes.

How long does it take you that have just started out as well? I'm still shocked I did it. I never did couch 2 5K I just walked fast most days or did some HIIT on the treadmill.

Replies

• JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Great job!

My first one was 43 minutes. My most recent 33 minutes.

37 minutes is a very respectable time IMO.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    37 mins is very respectable. You ought to be proud.

Now make the next one 36:40.
  • mockchoc
    Thanks!

I don't have a HRM. How many calories do you all burn? I'm 5"2'.

I'm 126lbs.
  • cmfontaine31
    cmfontaine31 Posts: 128 Member
    Great job!
  • JUDDDing
    Thanks!

I burn 520 cals doing a 3.25 mile interval run. But I'm 215 and 5' 9" (and a guy).
  • michybeans
    michybeans Posts: 106
    How exciting! Congratulations and good job! Keep it up.
  • Brummig
    Brummig Posts: 94
    Well done! That's a great time for a first one - you should be very proud of yourself.
  • CONGRATULATIONS! That's so awesome. Good for you! So impressive! Ya! :flowerforyou: :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • mockchoc
    Thanks all. Think I need a HRM so I can work out how much I'm burning.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Thanks!

I'm 126lbs.

I'm 130 pounds and I burn approximately 100 calories per mile.

ETA: That's the calorie burn for when I'm doing a casual 12 min/mile pace (close to your 5k pace). It's a higher burn when I run faster.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Great job! I ran/walked the Zombie Run 5K this weekend with the demonspawn. Came in at about 40 minutes. I think I estimated about 500 calories burned (43, 5'1", female, 236 lbs). It felt awesome (and was totally fun), and I was on an "I did it!" adrenaline high all the rest of Saturday. Sunday I still sort of was but my legs were going 'hey, you, guess what!' ;) I do elliptical and treadmill but not very fast usually, so my goal was 1 hour or less, knowing I'd be walking a lot. So to finish in 40 minutes made me very happy!

Keep up the great work :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Congrats, that's awesome!

I just started running the last weekend in June. My first complete 5k was 33:10 pace. I just finally hit under 30 minutes with a 28:22 time back on 8/6, now that I hit under 30 I don't try to run as fast and run trails instead
  • JUDDDing

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

This seems reasonably close.
  • Kathley
    Kathley Posts: 10 Member
    Kudos to you! right now I am doing the jog a minute and walk fast 4 then jog a minute and walk fast 4. My goal for 2014 5ks is to jog at least one third of the entire thing and be able to jog half of it by the end of that year. It's tough so good flipping job on you!!
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Nice work!
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Congratulations! I ran just over 5K last week and also did it in 37 minutes! That was my first time going that far too. I don't have a HRM either so I don't know what my true calorie burn was. I usually figure 100 calories per mile.
  • mockchoc

http://www.runnersworld.com/tools/calories-burned-calculator

This seems reasonably close.

Thanks for the link. It does sound about right. I burned almost 300 calories.

Well done to the others that have done it or are on their way! I do have runners high right now :smile: