crazy restricter to binge eater..doing this again..

Options
Hey everyone! I was on MFP a few years ago and lost the amount of weight that I wanted to (and at the time, for a short time, too much weight) by being extremely rigid about my eating and exercising. I had rigid food routines, eating the same 'safe foods' and restricting anything like pasta, pizza, cookies, etc. All of a sudden, I had some issues with my hormones, I started gaining weight back really easily and craving sugar. This combined with the restriction and rigidity I had set myself up for threw me into a major depressive and anxious mode, which raised my cortisol levels and made things excessively worse. Before I knew it, binge eating had become a major player in my life and I had put on the same amount of weight that I worked so hard to lose. After getting through depression and anxiety, I'm ready to have my life back the way I want it, free of eating issues and free of excess weight. I'd love friends who can support me and vice versa. :)

Replies

• itsscottwilder
    Options
    Go get it!!!

Way to go for taking control of your fitness.
  • Turnaround2012
    Turnaround2012 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Go For it - You can do this. I have definitely been there.

Restrict, Pig Out, Sulk - rinse, repeat.....
  • annamorrison90
    annamorrison90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I definitely can relate. When I start a diet, I become obsessed with exercise while eating the minimal amount of calories. It's not sustainable and when I quit, I gain all the weight back. Hence my three month hiatus from myfitnesspal. I would love to support you and you support me in quitting the obsession and just taking daily baby steps towards a healthier lifestyle.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Good for you to recognize this.

The key for you is to go slow, lose a little each week with not so many restrictions. I'm all or nothing eater. When I lose slow, it's a win.
  • red869
    red869 Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat. I was on here last year, I was almost half way to my goal weight and then I began binge eating and re-gained all the weight back. I've lost weight countless times (been dieting on and off since I was around 10 years old), but each time I re-gain the weight back because I'm always so strict with everything. It makes losing weight and keeping it off so much more difficult than it ought to be. Usually I'd eat very few calories and avoid everything I considered 'bad'. For years I've been losing and gaining weight, now I badly want to lose it the proper way and hopefully keep it off! My aim is to be more carefree about it and less strict and to eat more than I usually would when losing weight.
  • choff99
    choff99 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation you are. I find myself being super restrictive for a few days and then I binge one day and then I'm back to restricting the next. I'm worried this cylce has messed up my metabolism. In the last week I've been less obsessive and concentrated on consistently working out. I'm hoping if I lighten up I'll finally begin to slowly lose and be able to keep it off.

Good luck!