skinny male.Is Lots of peanut butter everyday the answer?

Options
I'm 18, 5'4 and 100lbs. So very skinny. I have a lot of milk everyday and eggs and plenty of chicken everyday but nothing seems to be working. Aswell as these foods, what would happen if I had like 8 tablespoons+ of peanut butter everyday? How would my body react to this. What (if there are any) problems could come from this?

I don't work out btw.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'4 and 100lbs. So very skinny. I have a lot of milk everyday and eggs and plenty of chicken everyday but nothing seems to be working. Aswell as these foods, what would happen if I had like 8 tablespoons+ of peanut butter everyday? How would my body react to this. What (if there are any) problems could come from this?

I don't work out btw.

Personally I'd eat in a surplus of foods that I liked and lift heavy things for body comp
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Don't go down this road. Too much of anything is unhealthy, and peanut butter, specifically, consumed excessively isn't the greatest thing, either. You never know if you're one of those sensitive individuals until you overdo it long-term and something happens to you. Balance is key. Don't compensate with any single food to try to remedy a sub-par (or perceived sub-par) diet. It's easy to develop unhealthy binge habits with certain foods and to eat a lot more of something than you intend.

For many people, the answer to success is to log calories and macros, at least for a while.

Btw, are you male or female?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

I don't work out btw.

Personally I'd eat in a surplus of foods that I liked and lift heavy things for body comp

This.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

I don't work out btw.

This.
    ..and again for good measure.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Do eat stuff like peanut butter, but I agree don't over do it. Or over do anything. Basically too much of any one food isn't good. My 7 year old (yeah, putting my mummy hat on here) is one of those skinny little girls looks like we don't feed her. Often for lunch at school, because she only likes sandwiches, it will be peanut butter and jam. On multi grain bread. We give her pastas, mashed potato, I am trying to get her to have full fat milk sometimes (she hovers between taste preference). Basically we try and get a bigger range of food into her and if she is hungry, we give her more. I find that the more she plays at school the hungrier she is. So exercise helps. In saying that we aren't trying to fatten her up. Just teach her to fuel her body.

You need to learn to fuel you body. At 18 you are still growing. Use the natural growth hormones to build solid muscle and strong bones. Log your food and activity and look at ways you can increase calories here and there. Lift weights or do some kind of physical weight baring activity. You will find you get hungrier. Avoid low fat food. Don't eat lots of deep fried stuff, but if you enjoy take always, once a week is fine. Look at getting a decent about of protein, a reasonable amount of veggies, then eat what other foods you like. I find in getting protein I get enough fats. I hope that helps. Also learn to cook, if you can't . Make it a goal to learn one new cooking skill a week, and make it something you like.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

I don't work out btw.

What is your calorie goal set to in order to gain weight? How far away are you from hitting it? There are many different calorie dense foods that you can eat in addition to peanut butter.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    this can't be real....
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I don't know, do you have a dog?
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options

I don't work out btw.

This most likely is a big part of the problem. Especially legs. Your legs are the key to unlocking the total mass of your body. Squatting releases a growth hormone that will aid in over all body size. I assume you dont want to get fat anyways?

A lot of heavy weight training stress? The hypothalamus tells the anterior pituitary to secrete some growth hormone.

Haven't eaten in awhile? The hypothalamus tells the pituitary to secrete hormones that will either cannibalize a bit of your muscle tissue for life-sustaining energy or to save that tissue, and instead mobilize some fat for energy.

more here. http://drsquat.com/content/knowledge-base/growth-hormone-response
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

If you enjoy eating peanut butter, you have no allergies to peanut butter, and you can easily reach a surplus of calories by eating peanut butter, then I suggest you eat peanut butter.
    I don't work out btw.

I also suggest you change this.

Lift some weights. It's fun.
  • db1178
    db1178 Posts: 25
    Options
    If you are looking to GAIN weight, then drink your extra calories. Milkshakes, fruit juices, sodas, gallon of full fat milk a day.
  • NoWeighJose74
    NoWeighJose74 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I don't know, do you have a dog?

I see what you did there. :laugh: